Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing climbers up a boring tree?

• 08-09-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

We've a tree in our back garden that is quite plain, no flowers makes a big mess with a pile of catkins early in the summer - our neighbour said its a Sally tree, but to me it's leaves are rounder than what I looked up online (?)

- Anyhow I have a few varieties of potted clematis (3 or 4) two potted Virginia creepers and 2 more potted jasmine.

Was thinking of planting an appropriate amount of this under my plain Jane tree and giving it a bit of colour.

I read somewhere that Virginia creeper will eventually kill a host tree - this theory had led me to be wary about what and how much I plant in case my tree is eventually suffocated.

For what it's worth I do have another of same tree that has been 100% enveloped in a pink clematis to a really massive degree but tree seems absolutely fine.

Finally due to all the root competition at base of tree would it be an idea to use a large container(s)?

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts on this :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There is nothing boring about a willow, if that is what you have. Post a picture and we'll have a go at id. Leaves and the tree itself. There are over 700 willows and their leaf shape can be variable.

The catkins are one of the earliest in the year to flower and are therefore and early and important source of nectar for the bees and friends. I find the catkins lovely and soft and also a colourful flower to look at, at that time of year.

The bark on a mature tree can also be interesting to look at with diamond shapes on it. mature willows can have up to 400 different types of Invertebrates living on it and is therefore very important in that respect, as well as an important food source for birds to feed their young.

Clematis sounds like a lovely idea and I don't think it would do any damage to a willow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

One of the nicest things to plant next to a tree is a rose called ballerina. I know one that is still spectacular 20 years after planting and the tree is covered in blooms all summer long.

Advertisement