Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son has bad nappies :(

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Evening all :)

From 2012 Q1 Board but thought I'd post here as busier in general!

My DS is 18 months and since last Wed/Thurs has been having bad nappies, today for example he's had 7 very bad. V runny almost sipping through to his vest and the smell is soo strong. Hes a really bad rash all around his bum and front now and was in pain from it earlier gave him calpol. Hes drooling alot, has rash on chin from it and coughing for few weeks, although he's still in great form!! :/

Should I be worried with 5 or 6 days bad nappies now..hes not dehydrated no probs getting bottles to him!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd take him to see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

youandme13 wrote: »
    Evening all :)

From 2012 Q1 Board but thought I'd post here as busier in general!

My DS is 18 months and since last Wed/Thurs has been having bad nappies, today for example he's had 7 very bad. V runny almost sipping through to his vest and the smell is soo strong. Hes a really bad rash all around his bum and front now and was in pain from it earlier gave him calpol. Hes drooling alot, has rash on chin from it and coughing for few weeks, although he's still in great form!! :/

Should I be worried with 5 or 6 days bad nappies now..hes not dehydrated no probs getting bottles to him!

Sounds like teething. My son didn't drool until he was getting his second molars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

In the same boat at the minute with my 17 month old since Thurdsday.
    There's no vomiting & he's in good form just having the worst nappies.
    I'm following the usual advice for diarrhea in a toddler ie. keep them hydrated with clear liquids & milk, continue to feed as normal things like bananas, rice, cereals, toast etc. plus yoghurt to try regain the balance in the intestines.
    I've found Caldesene powder to be brillant at keep the sore bum at bay. I've also picked up a multivitamin as he will be losing extra nutrients through the diarrhea.
    Gonna pay the doctor a visit though in the next day or two if there is no improvment.

liliq wrote: »
    Sounds like teething. My son didn't drool until he was getting his second molars.

In my case it's not his teeth, I can hear his stomach making that gurgling noise you get with a dodgy stomach.
    I suspect it's a bug he's picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know teething is blamed for everything, but that sounds more like some gastro bug than teeth.

There is some tummy thing they can pick up that gives really offensive smelling nappies. Go to a GP or PHN I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'd check with doc to be safe.

My 13mth old has just popped two molars and has been drooling loads, bit of a rash on chin and had two days of really runny nappies. However there was no smell off the nappies but they gave him an awful rash.
    Lots of bepanthen and a bit of time with nappy off to air his bum seemed to do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Go and see a GP. Runny nappies is one thing... But if the fecal mater is very foul smelling this could really indicate a bug. If you decide to go to GP it wouldn't hurt to take a stool sample along with you as GP may take it for culture and sensitivity (testing).

My guy's much better today, looks like the bug has run it's course *knock on wood*
    Hope your guy is feeling better too OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Thanks ,glad your lil fella is on the mend :)
    Mine had 4 bad nappies again today.
    Was talking to the doc today and he told me to get dioralyte and see how he gets on over the next few days :)

Advertisement