Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding not to breastfeed

• 08-09-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me or shed some light on this. Basically I have decided not to breastfeed for a few reasons, what I'm wondering is do hospitals supply bottles and feed or do you bring in your own? There seems to be nothing mentioned about it at all. Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

As far as I have heard (can only confirm definitively about Mount Carmel) they give you little ready made bottles and you can select the brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Holles St either give you or sell you little pre-made bottles complete with teat, my sister used them on her two kids. She was able to buy a couple of trays of them and brought them home with her to see her through the first wee while after getting home, they were a godsend. If you can, ask at your antenatal class what the situation is in your hospital (but I'd say be prepared for the "what?! Not breastfeeding?!" backlash!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

CUMH have the little premade ones available too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Holles st will give them to you, they had little bottles of pre made cow and gate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

All maternity hospitals provide ready made formulas ready to drink. They have to, not all new mums can breast feed due to illness, birth difficulties etc.
    don't worry yourself over it, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

They provided them for free for the duration of my time in the Coombe and I bought some bottle to get me through the first week or so at home,expensive but worth it until I found my feet!

Don't be stressing about not bf, I couldn't due to meds but from what I can tell (so far!) It hasn't done my little man any harm! He was walking before 1,has loads of words is a happy content little man.

I hospital made me feel quite bad that I bottle feed,on the top of my file it was written in huge writing 'bottle feed' like it was some incurable disease!!!

However despite the fact that decision was made for me I didn't mind. The hospital in the main were supportive and weren't stingy with the little bottles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They have the most popular brands of formula, SMA Gold, Aptamil 1 and Cow & Gate 1 available in maternity hospitals free of charge while you and baby are a patient. You can usually buy a tray in the hospital shop when leaving too.

Advertisement