Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions??

• 09-09-2013 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Is law superior in ucc or ucd? I'm currently a leaving cert student in cork. Which lecturers are better and in terms of career prospects after university which university are firms more interested in? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Tallemma wrote: »
    Is law superior in ucc or ucd? I'm currently a leaving cert student in cork. Which lecturers are better and in terms of career prospects after university which university are firms more interested in? Thanks :)

Where do you want to go to college - dublin or cork? It's really as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Where do you want to go to college - dublin or cork? It's really as simple as that.

Would 100% agree with Johnny, when weighing up UCC and UCD for law it's really about where you want to study from a solely personal point of view. Both places have produced solicitors, barristers, judges and legal academics at all levels. I would say in the legal world both degrees are rated much the same, I went to UCC and loved it there, know many who went to UCD who loved their time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Disclaimer that I'm doing a postgrad in UCD, so feel free to accuse me of bias...

I would favour UCD from the point of view of networking and facilities. The latter is particularly relevant at the moment.

The Law school here is about to move into Ireland's first purpose build law school at the end of October, The Sutherland Building, which is a state of the art facility. I don't know much about Cork's Law school but my understanding is that it is less integrated and students tend to be dispersed around campus.

I would suggest that UCD also has a better perceived collection of academic staff. Eoin Carolan, Paul McDermott, Gavin Barrett and John O'Dowd might be recognizable names to people not directly involved in law.

The location of Dublin as being in the vicinity of the Superior Courts at their permanent address, as well as the firms and Barristers that operate out of Dublin is what made me reluctant to study at UCC when I was filling out my CAO form.

UCD would also have better recognized student debating and a better known law society than UCC.

UCD also has a string of some really strong partner links with other Universities. I studied with undergrads who went to Columbia, Harvard and (many) to what was formerly the Sorbonne.

For that reason and others, and considering the alumni profile of both schools my opinion is that UCC should rank behind UCD in the serious prospective law student's preference list.

The real question between the best law schools in the country is between UCD and Trinity, in my opinion, and that is a more difficult question to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Disclaimer that I'm doing a postgrad in UCD, so feel free to accuse me of bias...

I would favour UCD from the point of view of networking and facilities. The latter is particularly relevant at the moment.

The Law school here is about to move into Ireland's first purpose build law school at the end of October, The Sutherland Building, which is a state of the art facility. I don't know much about Cork's Law school but my understanding is that it is less integrated and students tend to be dispersed around campus.

I would suggest that UCD also has a better perceived collection of academic staff. Eoin Carolan, Paul McDermott, Gavin Barrett and John O'Dowd might be recognizable names to people not directly involved in law.

The location of Dublin as being in the vicinity of the Superior Courts at their permanent address, as well as the firms and Barristers that operate out of Dublin is what made me reluctant to study at UCC when I was filling out my CAO form.

UCD would also have better recognized student debating and a better known law society than UCC.

UCD also has a string of some really strong partner links with other Universities. I studied with undergrads who went to Columbia, Harvard and (many) to what was formerly the Sorbonne.

For that reason and others, and considering the alumni profile of both schools my opinion is that UCC should rank behind UCD in the serious prospective law student's preference list.

The real question between the best law schools in the country is between UCD and Trinity, in my opinion, and that is a more difficult question to settle.

http://www.topuniversities.com/subject-rankings

http://m.university-list.net/Ireland/rank/univ-090008.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

While not underrating UCC I would agree with Cody Pomeray ( Where did that name come from???)
    Law in UCD has a great reputation for turning out top class professionals. Perhaps it's the subsequent access to the major law firms in the city and many graduates also make it to the Big 5 in London.
    In making a decision though I would recommend getting some advice from an established practitioner. Do you want to pursue the country solicitor line or get involved with some of the leading Criminal law practices? Would you like to work in the City in London? Is there any particular law area that attracts you. Immigration, criminal, land etc. There are many options.
    There is plenty time to make a definite decision about your career path but good advice at this stage would certainly stand to you. Such advice may not necessarily be available from this site!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In defence of UCC, the dept has a very strong links to the EU institutions and the main EU lecturer, Declan Walsh, every year leads a student trip to the various institutions, Parliament, Court etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Manach wrote: »
    In defence of UCC, the dept has a very strong links to the EU institutions and the main EU lecturer, Declan Walsh, every year leads a student trip to the various institutions, Parliament, Court etc.

This is an agreement between UCD UCC Trinity NUIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Doesnt make a blind bit of difference OP, academically speaking. You can get into any firm/role/profession with a degree from any university in the country and elsewhere if you're smart about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP I'd actually consider whether a law degree was your best option for the path you wish to persue. The solicitors route does not require a law degree and the barrister route seems, in my experiance, to have a broad range of primary degrees outside law.

At the very least consider a major/minor degree. A wise man once said, business and law, that is all IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Bepolite wrote: »
    OP I'd actually consider whether a law degree was your best option for the path you wish to persue. The solicitors route does not require a law degree and the barrister route seems, in my experiance, to have a broad range of primary degrees outside law.

At the very least consider a major/minor degree. A wise man once said, business and law, that is all IIRC.

Wise indeed: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83204859&postcount=7

That's as low a key return of my post I can get away with without seeming big-headed...

Advertisement