Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters and coin meter.

Options
  • 09-09-2013 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Moving into a place shortly where the electricity is worked with a coin meter. I know storage heaters a suppose to be heavy on electricity but work off the night rate or something. But how does that work with a coin meter ? Will it cost me a fortune ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

€2 coin on a bit of string and it'll cost feck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

CrinkElite wrote: »
    €2 coin on a bit of string and it'll cost feck all.

I'll give it a try but on the off chance it doesnt work and I dont pull the meter off the wall and electrocute myself might be handy to know how much this thing could cost me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I don't know tbh, If the electricity is being metered in your flat, the money in it is only there to cover the bill when it comes.
    You should be reimbersed for any overpayment and conversely, responsible for any shortfall.

Talk to the LL or maybe someone else has first hand experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I don't know tbh, If the electricity is being metered in your flat, the money in it is only there to cover the bill when it comes.
    You should be reimbersed for any overpayment and conversely, responsible for any shortfall.

Talk to the LL or maybe someone else has first hand experience.

Would I not be covering exactly what I'm using ? Coins only last so long and no coins = no juice ? I suppose I'll figure it all out over time. This is more about the storage heaters anyway and whether or not the coin meter will make them an expensive method of heating the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

With coin machines the landlord sets the price and genreally sets it high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My advice would be to not use the storage heater. We found an oil filled plug in radiator to be significantly cheaper to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Storage heating, night rate or no, is the absolute devil. I was in an absolutely tiny 1-bedroom apartment just over a year ago. There was only one big window in the bedroom, a tiny one in the bathroom, and the front door itself in the sitting room. It was clearly a converted basement of a townhouse.

I only had two storage heaters. One in the sitting room, and one in the bedroom. I never used the one in the bedroom, because I was only in there for bed, and blankets did the trick. For 30 solid days over the winter, I used the storage heater on medium heat on the nightsaver option (it stores heat overnight at the cheaper rate and then releases it throughout the day) and then I resorted to blankets and hot water bottles as I was terrified of the bill. I had every right to be. 30 days of a storage heater, + two months of lights, a PC and the kettle (for one person) cost me a grand total of almost €400.

Advertisement