Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Involved

Options
  • 09-09-2013 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a second year medical student, with no primary degree. Since I was part of a group that did a very comprehensive project for the Young Scientist Exhibition in secondary school, I've found the idea of research at a higher level very appealing. It is a path that I might like to follow primarily once I finish my degree. For now, I'd like to play even a minor role as part of a research team (ideally during summer, but whatever). I think I'd find it an enjoyable and rewarding experience. The only problem is, I don't really know how to get started! I asked a lecturer who I was sort of friendly with at the end of last year, and she kindly passed on my details to a couple of her colleagues, but I got no responses. I guess there's not much a first year undergrad would be able to bring to the table, and even by the end of second year I might not be able to contribute anything much, and that's understandable.

Other than asking a lecturer, I'm kind of at a loss with regards to getting started. It wouldn't necessarily have to be paid or anything. Even if I had a very small part to play doing data entry or something, that'd be okay. It might lead to a more interesting role down the road. It's just that, as I say, I don't know where to start, or how to make myself available to researchers at all? If anyone might be able to offer some advice or suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I asked a lecturer who I was sort of friendly with at the end of last year, and she kindly passed on my details to a couple of her colleagues, but I got no responses. I guess there's not much a first year undergrad would be able to bring to the table, and even by the end of second year I might not be able to contribute anything much, and that's understandable.
    Networking with faculty may eventually be fruitful. Don't give up on this method. I first worked as a "Go-for" on a research team, going for this, and going for that, be it secondary data sourcing, running books and journals back-and-forth from library, or manually inputting data from crumpled mail surveys that wouldn't scan. You name it, and I would do it.

As an alternative, look for student scholarly paper competitions, do the research, author in the specified style, and submit on time. Some universities, colleges, departments, programmes, professional associations, and honour societies hold such competitions annually. Depending upon the competition, winners may be invited to present their papers at annual conferences. I've done this. It gets you a bit of research experience, networking exposure, and looks good on CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Thanks for your response. I'm going to do my best this year to get started. The idea of competitions hadn't occurred to me. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Thanks for your response. I'm going to do my best this year to get started. The idea of competitions hadn't occurred to me. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again :)

Not relevant yet as its for final year students but the Undergrad Awards is one to keep in mind for the future. The winner gets their submission published. Not really peer reviewed but its something. http://www.undergraduateawards.com/

Advertisement