Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No record of posts in "Relationship Issues" forum?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

is there any reason why post made in the forum don't appear if you look at your own (or another poster's) list of posts made?

I've had a handful of posts there, but they're not mentioned on my profile at all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because of the nature of the forums, PI and RI are deliberately set to be non-searchable forums. This also means that they don't show in your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ok, that explains it, thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's a really good idea. :)
    Are they the only 2 non searchable forums or are there more?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For some reason I have it in my head that there might be one or two more, but I can't remember what they might be so I could just be imagining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Zaph wrote: »
    For some reason I have it in my head that there might be one or two more, but I can't remember what they might be so I could just be imagining it.
    Puzzles and quizzes,the cuckoo's nest,test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Zaph wrote: »

LGBT isn't searchable either

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

LGBT isn't searchable either

whys that salsa?to help protect people who are coming out or have gay issues but might not be openly gay?

Just curious more than anything

returnNull wrote: »
    whys that salsa?to help protect people who are coming out or have gay issues but might not be openly gay?

I'm not quite sure the decision was made before my time

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

returnNull wrote: »

I'm making a presumption but that sort of decision has been historically been made for two reasons: one is as you've set out, personal and personally identifiable information might be posted in a forum and it is in users' interests to keep that away from the search function. The second is that certain people will use the search function as a means to find threads on a topic that riles them up and they will proceed to - effectively - troll threads that go against their belief-set. I'm not setting this out very well, but a typical example might be where someone in PI is considering an abortion and some pro-life zealot will search this out and ruin the thread. That is damaging because people in precarious personal situations need support and will not respond well to soap-boxing.

Keeping forums out of the immediate line of fire of people who come here to search and destroy in relation to certain topics is to the benefit of users in general. On the other hand, the search tool is very useful in forums like Motors, where users will often come along with a query about motor tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm quite in favour of certain forums not being searchable. But I'm curious: do the mods have the ability to search them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm quite in favour of certain forums not being searchable. But I'm curious: do the mods have the ability to search them?
    negative.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm not quite sure the decision was made before my time

It is for basically the same reason as PI and RI. Protection.

They are the three forums on this site where people go to post about their problems.
    There is no necessity for these threads to be dragged up by others in the future, nor would the OP feel particularly comfortable if they were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Overheal wrote: »
    negative.
    That's not quite accurate. AFAIK, the mods of a non-searchable forum have permissions to search it.

Mods in general don't have any extra search powers outside of their own forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steve wrote: »
    That's not quite accurate. AFAIK, the mods of a non-searchable forum have permissions to search it.

Mods in general don't have any extra search powers outside of their own forums.
    nothing pulled up for me when i did a search for "wife", so..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Overheal wrote: »
    nothing pulled up for me when i did a search for "wife", so..
    I was made a mod of prison for about an hour a long time ago and was able to both search it and muppetcheck in it.. I'm just coming out of therapy. What was seen cannot be unseen... :D

AFAIK only the forum mods, cmods and admins can search them - other mods couldn't

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Where do I find the RI forum, I can't seem to find it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Where do I find the RI forum, I can't seem to find it??
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1174

Advertisement