Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easiest country to get a full motorcycle license in?

• 09-09-2013 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Any thoughts?

India

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its quite easy here. Its just expensive takes some time. The actual test is laughably simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Legally or illegally..??........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Gibraltar. It just can't get much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Mongolia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Its quite easy here. Its just expensive takes some time. The actual test is laughably simple.

It wouldn't call the test laughable simple. I did my A Licence recently......failed the first time over road positioning and not enough life saver looks.

It's a game imo and they have a certain criteria they want to see you play. On my 2nd test I was like a mongoose re head movement.....it was a ridiculous role play but I know where they are coming.

Anyone thinks they are in for an easy ride pardon the pun will be sorely mistaken. I went back biking after an extended period and it was bloody hard work.......know your rules of the road backwards as they'll ask you this in detail....screw up here the test begins on the back foot.

IMHO,

There is a massive difference in riding a bike and riding a bike properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dpp v mcgee

It wouldn't call the test laughable simple. I did my A Licence recently......failed the first time over road positioning and not enough life saver looks.

It's a game imo and they have a certain criteria they want to see you play. On my 2nd test I was like a mongoose re head movement.....it was a ridiculous role play but I know where they are coming.

Anyone thinks they are in for an easy ride pardon the pun will be sorely mistaken. I went back biking after an extended period and it was bloody hard work.......know your rules of the road backwards as they'll ask you this in detail....screw up here the test begins on the back foot.

I want to avoid the annoyance of having to sit it again. I see it more of money racket than anything else.
    I am heading to Vietnam for a couple of months backpacking and Im gona try and get a full license there so I will have it when I come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I want to avoid the annoyance of having to sit it again. I see it more of money racket than anything else.
    I am heading to Vietnam for a couple of months backpacking and Im gona try and get a full license there so I will have it when I come back.
    Vietnamese license are not exchangeable here.
    only the following countries can be exchanged.
    • Australia
    • Gibraltar
    • Guernsey
    • Isle of Man
    • Japan
    • Jersey
    • South Africa
    • South Korea
    • Switzerland
    • New Zealand*
    • Taiwan*

In Gibraltar the tester stands on the footpath and you drive round the block and past him. If you can't pass that one you shouldn't drive anything... ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Gosub wrote: »
    In Gibraltar the tester stands on the footpath and you drive round the block and past him. If you can't pass that one you shouldn't drive anything... ever.

I'm going to Gibralter to do my full licence test then :pac: Would be cheaper than doing a pre-test and test here :v

No matter what country you do the test in, I'd imagine you would need a local address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Vietnamese license are not exchangeable here.
    only the following countries can be exchanged.
    • Australia
    • Gibraltar
    • Guernsey
    • Isle of Man
    • Japan
    • Jersey
    • South Africa
    • South Korea
    • Switzerland
    • New Zealand*
    • Taiwan*

6th gear full revs and flat out so.:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not laughable simple but it's not very hard. There's no motorway, night or wet road training/testing required.

Could you imagine needing to know the rules of the road when you want to use the road. Unless you're very good at reading gibberish the ROTR are the best option to avoid getting into trouble when using the roads.
    No matter what country you do the test in, I'd imagine you would need a local address.

The fact that some, the UK, requires you to provide proof of residency makes it even more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Took my bike test here in 2003, apart from the tester following me for 1 lap in his car, that was the Irish test :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

alf66 wrote: »
    Took my bike test here in 2003, apart from the tester following me for 1 lap in his car, that was the Irish test :)

Bit different know me thinks! In fact doesn't the examiner follow you on a bike now?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Bit different know me thinks! In fact doesn't the examiner follow you on a bike now?

Depends on the county you do it in....they are trying to get it in but I did mine in Navan and was some old lad in a Toyota Carolla :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

in ballina he was in a jeep! that was 2mths ago

Once they've the radio it doesn't matter if they are on a bike or in a car. If you loose the car they'll make you pull over unlike when my brother did his test years ago, he lost the car pulling out of the centre for the right loop and the same for the left loop and was waiting in the centre for the testers for a few minutes after each loop.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once they've the radio it doesn't matter if they are on a bike or in a car. If you loose the car they'll make you pull over unlike when my brother did his test years ago, he lost the car pulling out of the centre for the right loop and the same for the left loop and was waiting in the centre for the testers for a few minutes after each loop.

Well i did my test last year and the examiner was in a car. All I'm saying is that my instructor told me the examiners were switching to bikes? Also if you look at the new RSA videos you'll see the examiner on a bike? Ah well :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can't actually fail on the rules of the road section.

Aside from that, its a laughably easy test like the car exam. A driving license is a certification of basic competency, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Well i did my test last year and the examiner was in a car. All I'm saying is that my instructor told me the examiners were switching to bikes? Also if you look at the new RSA videos you'll see the examiner on a bike? Ah well :pac:

Yeah, they've a load of Mayo reg'd BMW bikes that the testers use. I saw them training on them, but there was only about 14 bikes, so there's probably not enough for one in every test centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I understand your frustration of failing the test first time but "money racket" and going somewhere else (particularly SE Asia or India) for a week's course and test, and hoping to exchange the licence for an Irish one isn't going to work.

I suppose you're in the pale somewhere? There has to be a school there you'll be more comfortable with. Good luck on your next test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

biko wrote: »
    I understand your frustration of failing the test first time but "money racket" and going somewhere else (particularly SE Asia or India) for a week's course and test, and hoping to exchange the licence for an Irish one isn't going to work.

I suppose you're in the pale somewhere? There has to be a school there you'll be more comfortable with. Good luck on your next test.

Lol, if he's in the Pale, he probably thinks the RSA HQ in Mayo IS in SE Asia !! :pac: :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dpp v mcgee

biko wrote: »

I didn't actually take the test yet but I'm assuming that's what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I did the test in Tallaght a little over two years ago. It was handy enough in that I didn't do any lessons(got my provisional before all that lark) and still passed but I wouldn't say it was ridiculously easy. I got most of the info on what to expect here and on biker.ie. Few tips:

Unlike the car test, the bike one still covers an emergency stop. Accelerate to 60 and then brake hard without locking up.

The u-turn is a case of pull in and complete it without putting your foot down or connecting with the kerb. Trick here is to look over your shoulder to where you want to go. Bike will turn much easier than if you're looking straight ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,896 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I see the IoM on that list.
    First time I was over there, about 17, to see the TT, I didn't take my provisional licence with me, as I didn't think I'd need it. There was a bike hire shop down near the harbour and they told me to nip into the Post Office, get an IoM provisional licence across the counter and they'd hire me a bike.
    A quid or two later, I was sorted out :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I see the IoM on that list.
    First time I was over there, about 17, to see the TT, I didn't take my provisional licence with me, as I didn't think I'd need it. There was a bike hire shop down near the harbour and they told me to nip into the Post Office, get an IoM provisional licence across the counter and they'd hire me a bike.
    A quid or two later, I was sorted out :)

Not any more. If you go back long enough you didn't have to do a test here, my Father never sat a test just went into the barracks and signed a from to have all catergories.

Not any more. If you go back long enough you didn't have to do a test here, my Father never sat a test just went into the barracks and signed a from to have all catergories.

Those were the days!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

My uncle 15 years ago sent in his renewal for his B license and ticked all the boxes. He can now drive a truck with trailers it would seem.

Advertisement