Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Ireland...

Options
  • 09-09-2013 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Wasn't really sure what forum to put this in, as there was no "General Topics" forum. So, sorry if this is inappropriate...

I've been approached about a potential job offer in Ireland.

It's always been my dream to live there, maybe not forever, but I'd like to stay for a few years at least. I'm of Irish decent - not typical "American Irish" decent where everyone says "I'm like .25% irish" - I mean, I'm 100% Irish decent; family was from Castlebar, and this job would be about 30 mins from there. No one in my family has been back since the 80's and I was too young to go then, so this is an exciting opportunity for me.

So, I'm here trying to learn as much as I can about the Country, culture, etc before I come visit. This is a pretty big undertaking so I want to be as informed as possible.

The first bit of advice I got was to come here to Boards and read...

Any other advice for me?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Where are you moving to?
    Where are you moving from?
    What type of job?
    What are your expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Who let the village idiot at the internet again!?

Don't worry Brewmeister we are not all like that, far from it, Castlebar is a very welcoming place. any questions in particular?

edit: BTW have a look at www.mayo.ie and www.Castlebar.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Mayo is a great place to live, I love it. Bit difficult to give advice without knowing your specifics, I moved back from London 13 years ago and havint looked back. Be prepared for damp and cold weather :D like everywhere there are pros and cons, but I say follow your dream, I did. Do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Live where ever suits you and your job and lifestyle.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Westport is more expensive but probably a nicer place to live (was voted best place in Ireland to live actually!). It's a more picturesque town than castlebar but smaller and with a lot more tourists passing through.

Castlebar is fine though, I lived there on and off for the guts of decade and could never really complain. It's only about a 15/20 minute drive between the two anyway (provided traffic isn't too bad).

Westport is a little bit closer to a few beaches and a few of the more scenic areas including Croagh Patrick, Connemara and Achill Island if you are into the outdoors at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Rudimental

Castlebar isn't too bad really...but there are far better places in Mayo to live

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Where are you moving to?
    Where are you moving from?
    What type of job?
    What are your expectations?

Not sure the specific town I'd be moving to, that's why Im here.

I'm coming from the Great Lakes region of the US. Northern Ohio to be exact. Lots of rain followed by really f'in hot summers with 100% humidity followed by a ton of snow for 6 months.

Craft Brewer

Don't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

The Craft Beer scene has exploded over the last few years (slow I know) so I'd say you'll do well over here. I even thought about getting into it myself as the beer scene was poor when I returned but thankfully in Dublin, Galway and Cork there is places to go now. Mayo is crying out for a brewery making some quality IPA's and what not. I think Westport and maybe Ballina would be the places to try and make that happen.

Holy Mountain (Westport)* and Reel Deel (Crossmolina) are two new breweries in the pipeline for Mayo. Would be great to see these two up & running.

* re-named MESCAN BREWERY WESTPORT on 10/09/2013

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Richie71 wrote: »
    Holy Mountain (Westport) and Reel Deel (Crossmolina) are two new breweries in the pipeline for Mayo. Would be great to see these two up & running.

Dunno if it's Holy Mountain, but I sampled a damn fine blonde ale in Westport on Saturday from a new microbrewery that's up and running out Kilsallagh way. There's one doing the business in Islandeady as well.

Happy days!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Dunno if it's Holy Mountain, but I sampled a damn fine blonde ale in Westport on Saturday from a new microbrewery that's up and running out Kilsallagh way. There's one doing the business in Islandeady as well.

Happy days!

I did sample that chaps tippled too :D Brewing isn't his daytime occupation but he is damn good!
    Is there one in Islandeady? U snooping around my sheds again! :D
    I wonder who is doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

The one in Islandeady is the West Mayo Brewery. Haven't had the pleasure of trying any of these yet but if the OP is adding to these, then it's all good.

yop wrote: »
    I wonder who is doing it?
    The Key West have it in stock, I believe - if you're feeling adventurous enough to head over that end of the parish. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Happy days!
    i misread it as you sampled a fine blonde in Westport on Saturday night :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The Key West have it in stock, I believe - if you're feeling adventurous enough to head over that end of the parish. ;)

I will round up the troops to head there ;)

irishgeo wrote: »
    i misread it as you sampled a fine blonde in Westport on Saturday night :D
    Every Saturday night. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Thread is about moving to Ireland so let it come back on track.
    Thanks

Advertisement