Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good way to stop bird falling down chimney?

• 09-09-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Sent about 5 minutes of my morning trying to get a bird to leave my house. The feathered type, that is.

It was a smallish bird, probably about 5 inches tall, and it's mouth was always open. It flew fairly fast, but somehow didn't break anything. It's probably the 3rd bird to fall down the chimney, the 2nd that I got out (the other was found dead after we came back from holidays). The chimney has a gas fire in the hollow, so we won't block it up completely, but need to block the top somehow, to stop these birds falling in!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What about a piece of netting? Birdies won't drop in for tea unannounced and you won't block the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

What about getting one of those basket things for the top of the chimney? Think they're called chimney cowls. I've even seen a shopping baskets turned upside down :D

AFAIK, when a bird's mouth is open like that and they're panting, it's because they're exhausted and/or too hot. Probably exhausted in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

theres a bird-guard that you fit to your chimney - Ive seen them in Chadwicks and B&Q, around E20

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

You can use a bird guard. Its one of those thing that looks like a small mesh cylinder with an inverted plate on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

aonb wrote: »
    theres a bird-guard that you fit to your chimney - Ive seen them in Chadwicks and B&Q, around E20
    I wonder how hard it would be to put it on top of a two story house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

a fella on adverts.ie sells crow guards for €10 and will fit for extra he is based in coolock dublin no prob fixing these they are springy and expand to fit the flue just need a ladder and a head for heights ;)

Advertisement