Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the hardest year in medical school?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

i have a non science background and I found year 1 of grad med brutal, mentally very taxing.

So, for those of you that have been through the system, what's the toughest year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I would very much imagine it depends on where you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

If you are entering a science based course from a non-science based background surely the catch up year (1st year ) will be the toughest? As you will be competing with those used to scientific writing, jargon, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Jim79 wrote: »
    i have a non science background and I found year 1 of grad med brutal, mentally very taxing.

So, for those of you that have been through the system, what's the toughest year.

I found that every subsequent year got easier. Stuff starts to repeat itself. Now as an intern this pattern is still holding. Every week that passes I feel a little more comfortable with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I was also non-science. Spent the first term of First year feeling like a bomb had gone off & I was always scrambling slightly too late as the pieces fell. Each year since then has been slightly less challenging with respect to sucking up all the knowledge & a little more challenging with regard to figuring out how to actually put it into practise. It's a constant work in progress but hang in there, it'll get easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

First year without a doubt, every year since has seemed like a relative piece of cake. Still tough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

First year GEM is tough, final year is a different kind of pressure and has a lot riding on it.

Advertisement