Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Vita TV - I'm in

Options
  • 09-09-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Sony have just announced PS Vita TV for less than €100. This must be a day 1 purchase for everyone, especially if you have PS+.

Linky

Sony have just surprised us all by revealing PlayStation Vita TV, a 6cm by 10cm (tiny) device which allows you to watch video and network services or even play Vita and PSP games on your TV, controlled by a DualShock 3.

It appears to be a small console which is powered by the same stuff as the Vita, and includes an HDMI port for hooking up to your TV. There’ll be 1300 titles available

The system also works as a companion device, which allows you to play PS4 games in another room without the need for a second console. That’s amazing.

It’ll be available in Japan on November 14th and will cost 9,945 yen or 14,994 yen with tax for a bundle including a controller and an 8GB memory card.

So, that’s about £70 for a device that allows you to play Vita games on your TV, or PS4 games in another room, as well as a plethora of TV and video content. I’m in.

UPDATE: We’ve been sent a few more details on the system from Sony.
    • There will be a system software update to patch in DualShock 4 support.
    • It can connect to other PS Vitas via ad hoc mode.
    • Two DualShock 3 controllers can be paired to the system, allowing for playing PS1 titles.
    • PS Vita can be used as a controller for some Wii U like functionality.
    • Will support “nasne”, a networked recorder and media storage device.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

w4mPQ2Y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I agree. Fantastic device all around. I already have ps vita, ps3 and ps4 preordered. That little device would be fierce handy for my bedroom. I will have ps3 and ps4 in my mancave, but even now I got craving for playing some stuff in bedroom on tv. I could not be arsed rehooking whole ps3 every single time...

So great device for New comers to PlayStation world and a great device for veterans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yes!!!! No Europe release date I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yes!!!! No Europe release date I see.

They get the Vita TV and we get the PS4, the grass is greener on our side.

The thing also support nasne which is a Japanese only network TV tuner, the only downside I can see is that it can only use 2 controllers at a time which is only relevant for remote play and PS1 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose 2 questions would be what do the games look like on the bigger screen? and How are touchpad functions handled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I suppose 2 questions would be what do the games look like on the bigger screen? and How are touchpad functions handled?

I believe they aren't. Not all Vita games/software is supported. That is, those that require touchpad, camera etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You can use a Vita if you want to use touchpad based games

Which kinda defeats the purpose for some, but not for all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finally, a proper $99 console :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Finally, a proper $99 console :)

That android OUYA yoke looks like a waste of time now. With sony support of proper games, proper controller, proper indy scene PS vita TV looks like a bargain for a budget gamer and bargain for hardcore gamer with all the functionality.
    I am afraid to say this, but looks like sony has a fantastic product there. It might as well save vita from being a failed handheld, because we will see a lot more vita units sold and developers will feel safe to make games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its a good product, biggest problem with my psp is that for the most at home you dont want to use that tiny screen. On the other hand, its up against the full consoles when at home, I think the main benefit is for those who use the vita out and about and want to finish their game at home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

RangeR wrote: »
    Sony have just announced PS Vita TV for less than €100. This must be a day 1 purchase for everyone, especially if you have PS+.

Linky

nasne looks and sounds sooo :cool: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57415423-1/introducing-nasne-sonys-sleek-dvr-of-japans-future/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If i can use this to play my ps3 on my pc monitor in the spare bedroom that would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

I hope it is realeased in Europe.

I am curious about how much of the PSN games will be playable? Articles mention PS1 games will be compatable but would be it be too much to ask for it also to play PS2 games?

The the appeal of the video apps and access to a large online catalogue makes it very tempting...

ADD: There are a couple PS2 ports to the vita, FFX is coming. But if Sony committed to bringing a best of PS2 to Vita, I would buy it without a second thought.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I still can't figure it out.

Tell me where I'm wrong here:

You can put your disc into PS4, and play it in another room via the attached Vita TV. Single player or multiplayer?
    Can you put a Vita game into the Vita TV and have 2 players play each other off one copy of FIFA on the big screen? On the Vitas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

whiterebel wrote: »
    I still can't figure it out.

Tell me where I'm wrong here:

You can put your disc into PS4, and play it in another room via the attached Vita TV. Single player or multiplayer?
    Can you put a Vita game into the Vita TV and have 2 players play each other off one copy of FIFA on the big screen? On the Vitas?

You can play Vita games via memory card, retail or a DL game onto a memory card. Its like an extender....PS4 in one room...Vita TV in another...it uses wireless to stream the PS4 content to the Vita and then HDMI into the telly.

I would assume you could have a copy of Fifa on the PS4 or Vita....have one player in the bedroom and one in the sitting room....and both can play the game.

Wireless signal + bandwidth dependent i bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

If this works with the PS3 too, I'll definitely be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

You can play Vita games via memory card, retail or a DL game onto a memory card. Its like an extender....PS4 in one room...Vita TV in another...it uses wireless to stream the PS4 content to the Vita and then HDMI into the telly.

I would assume you could have a copy of Fifa on the PS4 or Vita....have one player in the bedroom and one in the sitting room....and both can play the game.

Wireless signal + bandwidth dependent i bet.

It all just sounds way too good to be true. I want it to work like that, but I'l believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This interested me at first but then seeing some of the games I would like to play on the list of games that aren't compatible like Gravity Rush and Uncharted makes me think I might just get a Vita at some point instead as that can also be used with the PS4 if I got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So Killzone won't work on the Vita Tv, cause it uses touchscreen? I wonder will they implement Dual Shock 4 support. That has a touchpad that could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This interested me at first but then seeing some of the games I would like to play on the list of games that aren't compatible like Gravity Rush and Uncharted makes me think I might just get a Vita at some point instead as that can also be used with the PS4 if I got one.

TBH if I were you, I would get the Vita now, or at least before the new model comes out. Unless the price is ridiculously good on the new model, I don't think the drop from OLED to LCD is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Oh this is not good news
    Probably just trying to spin up some hype.

Sony are only planning to release the brilliant PlayStation Vita TV system in the East right now, in order to tackle Japan’s video streaming market, which is quite barren right now. After it releases in Japan on November 14th, it’ll make its way to South Korea, China etc. but won’t be heading to the US and Europe – at least not at this point.

This is terrible news; just the other day I wrote about how just great the system would be as a companion to the PS4, and was planning to pre-order as soon as they announced a UK release date.

The news comes from a press round table interview hosted by Andrew House, as reported by TechOn. There are some new details too, including that it may use cloud computing (Gaikai?) to stream PS3 games to the system. House also considers it as a rival to Chromecast and Apple TV, rather than other games consoles such as OUYA.

All my hopes and dreams of not having to carry a big black box across the country every few weeks have been shattered.

UPDATE: Shuhei Yoshida, responsive as ever, has taken to twitter and revealed that all they’re saying on the matter is that it is “releasing first in Japan” so it seems it’ll eventually make its way over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

RangeR wrote: »
    Oh this is not good news
    Probably just trying to spin up some hype.

The potential of the device has got a ringing endorsement from wired.com.

This Tiny Box could be your PS4

Sony Unveil Playstation Vita TV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So anyone worried this won't make it outside the asian market can breathe a sigh of relief. When Sony said they had no plans for a US release they actually meant they had no plans yet and it will be coming eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Grayditch wrote: »
    So Killzone won't work on the Vita Tv, cause it uses touchscreen? I wonder will they implement Dual Shock 4 support. That has a touchpad that could work.

Dual Shock 4 comparability has already been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Thomas2142

This device looks freaking sweet imo. However if people are buying it just to use as their 'vita' it would be much better to just buy the actual vita console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Launched in US yesterday. Here next month :cool:

Below is a list of games that are compatible with the PlayStation TV

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Launched in US yesterday. Here next month :cool:

Below is a list of games that are compatible with the PlayStation TV

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

Surprised by the lack of support for Uncharted on there. Sony need to fix that asap, like they have done with Killzone. Not having one of the best Vita games not working on Vita tv is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

wes wrote: »
    Surprised by the lack of support for Uncharted on there. Sony need to fix that asap, like they have done with Killzone. Not having one of the best Vita games not working on Vita tv is silly.

It was always said that games that required the touch screens would not be supported. Unfortunately this will remove a fair few games from the vita catalog

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

RedXIV wrote: »
    It was always said that games that required the touch screens would not be supported. Unfortunately this will remove a fair few games from the vita catalog

I know but they did, but they also adding in support for Killzone, so should do the same for big games like Uncharted as well .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd wish they'd patch the touch screen stuff completely out of the vita version. However it was pretty meh so won't be that much of an improvement. Still very tempted by this, would be nice to have the option to play some of my vita games on the TV then take them on the go on the vita.

Advertisement