Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for First Years

Options
  • 09-09-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

- Don't take first year too seriously, but at the same time keep up with the work. Go to your lectures, do your readings and assignments (not right before they're due!) and you'll be grand :) Just remember, this year doesn't count towards your degree, so don't go into panic mode if you're not doing perfectly!

- Check if your attendance is marked, and whether it's a determinant of you passing or not. This is not something you want to find out after a few weeks!

- Find out if/when you need to sign up for tutorials/labs in your department (usually told in induction) and sign up QUICK if you want a good time.

- Don't rush out and buy books straight away, wait a week or two and see how essential it is - i.e. are you using it constantly for the subject or are you more likely to be dipping in and out of it in which case if there are a few copies in the library and you may not need to buy the book. Do buy a few core texts though.

- Sell the ones you don’t need at the end of the year, don’t dump them!

- If you have decided to buy a book, check out some second hand shops around town. If you know anyone in the year ahead, ask them, and keep an eye out for notices on notice boards in the department. Try websites like bookswap.ie, adverts.ie, jumbletown.ie, apebooks.com, eBay and Amazon - you'd be amazed at the savings. DIT also have their own book exchange here.

- If you are going to buy some new books, Hodges figus on Dawson Street have a loyalty card so for every €80 you spend you get €10 off your next book. It comes in handy if you are doing a subject with expensive text books like economics, law or medicine.

- Return your books to the library on time, especially short term loans - the fines really add up, and fast!

- Consider the other people around you in the library, use the canteen or empty classroom for group work.

- You can borrow laptops in some of the campus libraries. Ask at the desk.

- Do not powernap during class, it can lead to embarrassing situations (along with potential failure...) :D

- Not all campuses have lockers, and when they do, they can be in short supply. Just bring what you know you'll need, if you don't want a sore back!

- It's a good idea to get an A4 pad for each module. If you're gonna keep up with your notes, bring one A4 pad to college, then rewrite your notes and file them that night. I swear, no later. It's a good way to get it in your head but requires dedication beyond most of us! If it's easier for you to use a laptop in lectures, use it. But don't start pissing everyone off by using facebook etc. Yes it does annoy students too!

- Don't just wander into a classroom looking for something you think you might have forgotten maybe. Especially when that class has been going on for half an hour and you're disturbing everyone in the room. Wait until it finishes up.

- Check the submission guidelines for your particular department, some don't allow online submissions. I'd be wary of sending it just as a soft copy. Be sure you don't lose marks over something like this when you've put so much work into it already!

- If there's no possible way you can get your assignment in on time, don't panic! E-mail the lecturer/tutor, explain the situation (being as apologetic as possible, you'd be surprised how cool they can be!), if you're sick get a doctor's note, and just get it in as soon as you can. Generally you'll lose 10% per week that it's late if you have no good excuse. There's no point stressing over something that's out of your hands.

- dnt use txt spk in exams lyk, deyll fail u. ye dey cn read it u luk lyk a tool do. Also watch for words such as: like, cos, cuz, gonna, wanna, should of (it's should have), loose (instead of lose, learn the difference), and the different meanings of there/they're/their, of/off and to/too/two. And brush up on your apostrophes dagnabit! Yes, Word will catch a lot of them, but not all of them!

- There is no shame in needing grinds. Look for ads and talk to your tutor, they should know someone who can help.

- DON'T talk about lecturers/tutors online. If you have a genuine complaint, go to your class rep/SU and try to solve it in a dignified way. If you're just ranting, just talk about lecturer X (the arsehole).

- Spend time wandering around your campus, and some of the other ones too! It's the best way to learn where things are!

- If you walk to college every morning ... always, always bring spare socks.

- DIT has both a northside and southside medical centre. Find out more here. Many services you would need to pay for at a normal GPs are free here, and are even available outside term time (though there is a fee then). Call 01 402 3614 (northside) or 01 402 3051 (southside) if you have any questions.34tyhjkm,

- College can be stressful. I mean, REALLY stressful. Don't hesitate to contact the counselling service, should you need it. It's free! Also, talk to your tutors if you have problems, they are really great at offering support/extensions/talking to your lecturers if you are worried about something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

- Go to clubs and socs week. Join clubs and societies. All work and no play means you're gonna have a baaaad time. Even commuters can manage at least one club or soc. Have fun!

- There is both a gym and a pool. I've heard they're both decent, you'd need to check the pool timetable though as it is used by water sports clubs a fair bit. Find out more here.

- Having a DIT hoodie is great, but I'd suggest waiting till just before you graduate before getting one! They can be an expensive luxury, and a lot of clubs/socs have their own. Plus you'll probably want a new one just before you graduate anyway, as they get grubby!

- Good for student competitions and stuff :)http://www.studentcents.ie/ http://www.oxygen.ie/

- Make sure your mobile is on the best network and price plan for you and use your free webtexts!

- Bring your lunch to college with you, if not everyday then at least a few days a week. It'll be better quality in many cases and if you are like me and a bit of a fussy eater it will make food much more interesting - I don't eat meat so lived on egg mayo sandwiches (it was the only vegetarian option at the time) for much of first year! Also take an extra sandwich/something to snack on incase you’re caught up for an extra few hours for whatever reason, that’s the time the temptation to buy something hits! I tend to keep a bag of grapes with me to pop in my mouth.

- Find the pharmacy/doctors with the best discount, locate your nearest Lidl or Aldi, and get your Dunnes/Tesco clubcards and use them as much as possible. Look out for special offers and use your coupons BUT don't buy something you wouldn't normally buy just because it is reduced! Try to not do your groceries in Spar or Centra, and buy shop own brand where possible.

- Remember freebies and samples are your friend. Yes the company's produce them to introduce a new product and make you want to have it but if you stay strong, you don't actually have to purchase the product once your sample is gone.

- When you want to buy something, ask yourself “Do I need it?” If you think you do, then wait. Don’t buy on impulse. Write the object of your desire on a piece of paper and pin it to the wall. Look at it every day for a week. If, at the end of the week, you still think you need it, then consider purchasing it.

- Use your student discount - most shops advertise it but don't be afraid to ask if you don't see a sign! Discounts in some places are as much as 20% and Topshop even give you the discount on sale items which many other shops don't!

- When you’re in college, if you have more than one friend, birthdays and Christmas can get expensive, so agree not to buy each other presents! Yeah you won’t get a few presents, but it’ll save you the money and panic when it's their turn!

- If you’re one of those fortunate students with a car, use it as little as possible, for obvious reasons! If you are getting a bus/luas/train, check and see if a student monthly ticket will work out cheaper than just paying cash each time but be warned you do need to have a student travelcard for it to be valid and the inspectors are often to be seen on buses around September time. Cheaper again, invest in a bike, and a good lock and chain.

- Parking in Dublin is expensive! If you use on-street parking you're looking at €25 a day (from 9-6), plus there's a maximum time you can use it for so you'd have to move the car too. Most of the campuses have discounted parking in one of the nearby multi-storey carparks, ask the porter when you arrive. If you can, please use public transport, or at least try to carpool! DIT carpool thread is here.

- If you're travelling a lot (or even if you're not), get a student travelcard(you can get this made up instantly in the SU for €15). These now also act as leap cards, which is great for the luas and dublin bus.

- If you can't live in Dublin, make friends with some people who do. They're invaluable resources ;)

- If you've been promised certain things in your lease, i.e. cutlery in your drawer, not broken furniture etc., don't be afraid to fight and nag for it!

- If you are living with people you get on with, consider having a kitty for things like tea bags, coffee, sugar, milk, salt, pepper, bread and butter - often cheaper to buy larger amounts AND things like a bag of sugar or big thing of salt will last a fair while so no point in everyone getting a bag and maybe throwing it out when they move out at the end of the year.

- Cut down on your electricity bill by making sure there is a lagging jacket on your hot water tank - if there isn't, ask your landlord to get one. And also if there is a timer on the emersion, use it rather than leaving it on all the time - chances are no-one will need hot water at 3am!!! Take quick showers, turn off lights and most importantly, if it’s cold, put on a jumper or hoody, not the heating. I got a snuggie for Christmas, it’s perfect! Switch off the radiators in the rooms you’re not using, get yourself a hot water bottle! If you're really stuck for monies, charge your laptop, iPod, phone, digital camera etc. on campus.

- If you have a fireplace, grab a couple of Argos catalogues, tear ‘em up and you’ve free heat!

- Student houses can have a lot of bills: Gas, electricity, TV (if you have Sky or UPC), and internet. Most companies want bills paid by direct debit from a bank account. I would avoid being the person who takes responsibility for this. If it's your bank account and the bills are being returned unpaid, this could affect your credit rating when applying for loans in the future. If at all possible have the landlord in charge of bills (but get them to show you the bill, don't be a chump!)

- If you think pre-drinking isn't classy enough for you, get that idea out of your head right now! In Dublin it's nearly essential for your bank balance. And it's fun!

- You don't need to be a brilliant chef to be able to cook decent cheap food for yourself, so try and cook for yourself as much as possible rather than buying ready meals. If you find cooking for one boring, try getting together with housemates or friends few evenings a week to cook up a big pot of something. Or cook enough for two or three days, which is especially good if you have a freezer. Don't make the mistake I did and not bother to learn how to cook, take-aways every night did lead to a very squishy squish!

- Instead of going out to dinner or on a date, try cooking for someone/friends, its way more impressive (or romantic) and friends can even help in the kitchen. Download a movie (or rent it from one of the few xtravisions left!) for after instead of going to the cinema.

- College can be really hard on the pocket, and liver! So try to take one week out of every month to resist alcohol (or even alcohol and cigarettes) and allow your body (and wallet) to detox. Don't give into peer pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

Just remember, this year doesn't count towards your degree, so don't go into panic mode if you're not doing perfectly!
    Really?! I know other college are like that but I got the impression that there were as many credits for each year.

If you have a fireplace, grab a couple of Argos catalogues, tear ‘em up and you’ve free heat!
    Free newspapers are your friend :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm stealing this and posting it up on the NUIM boards. I hope you'll approve as a former NUIMer! Some really good tips that can apply to pretty much any college!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

- It's a good idea to get an A4 pad for each module. If you're gonna keep up with your notes, bring one A4 pad to college, then rewrite your notes and file them that night. I swear, no later. It's a good way to get it in your head but requires dedication beyond most of us!

Like you said, the majority of students won't do this. Therefore I'd say its a good idea to invest in some quality ring-bound note pads as pages wont fall out if you try to write on the back (which you should) and then get lost during the year. Cheaping out on stationary has never had good results in my experience. Definitely have a separate one for each module though. Do take notes in lectures but don't spend the whole time frantically writing. Try to listen and think about what is being said. Don't worry about what the person next to you is or isn't taking note of.

• Advertisement

I'm stealing this and posting it up on the NUIM boards. I hope you'll approve as a former NUIMer! Some really good tips that can apply to pretty much any college!

I actually wrote one very similar for NUIM about 2 years ago, and used the same template to make this one! I'm flattered though :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055637976&page=6

jrmb wrote: »
    Really?! I know other college are like that but I got the impression that there were as many credits for each year.

Well it's the case for the people I know in DIT anyway, maybe there are a few courses where first year counts. If you're not sure, get in contact with your year tutor :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I actually wrote one very similar for NUIM about 2 years ago, and used the same template to make this one! I'm flattered though :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055637976&page=6

Hah, you're good at this stuff!

Posted yours up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Well it's the case for the people I know in DIT anyway, maybe there are a few courses where first year counts. If you're not sure, get in contact with your year tutor :)

The credits count towards your qualification, but in most courses it is only the final two years that determine the level of the qualification (2:2, 2:1 etc)

It also helps to develop good habits early.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

If you smoke, learn to roll and buy a box of tobacco+skins+filters for about a fiver

• Advertisement

bassey wrote: »
    If you smoke, learn to roll and buy a box of tobacco+skins+filters for about a fiver
    Quit. Smoking's trampy.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

jrmb wrote: »
    Quit. Smoking's trampy.

But it makes you look cool.

Advertisement