Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 1520 - 6 inch display!

• 09-09-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭

One of the things I loved about my Galaxy Note 2 was the screen size and I did worry about how I'd get on with the smaller Lumia 920.

Well looks like next time round I won't have to trade-off:

6-inch Lumia 1520 pics revealed

Lumia 1520 render leaked

From the first link...
    The device reportedly comes with 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage with microSD expansion, Snapdragon 800 processor and of course the 1080P display. It’s also been reported that it will have a 20 MP camera on the rear with a design similar to the Lumia 925’s slight camera bump

Niiice! Where do I sign? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

But only if its thin and light enough to compensate for the extra width / length.. Looks pretty nice all the same! And to think I thought my old hd7 was a bit big..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Im hoping on the 22nd October we will find out if this a go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Looks nice indeed, I've been drooling over review vids today.

biko wrote: »
    Looks nice indeed, I've been drooling over review vids today.

Its some piece of kit let me tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is there an Irish release date on this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Its some piece of kit let me tell you!

Got to play with one for a few mins last week. Very impressive and not so big as to be unusable as a phone. Will be interested to see what the networks here will offer.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Got to play with one for a few mins last week. Very impressive and not so big as to be unusable as a phone. Will be interested to see what the networks here will offer.

As is its not looking good as to who will stock 02 maybe,where did you get to see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As is its not looking good as to who will stock 02 maybe,where did you get to see it?

Sandyford, D18 ;) Got to play with the new XBox One too and several of the new Windows tablets.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Sandyford, D18 ;) Got to play with the new XBox One too and several of the new Windows tablets.
    MS having another party so I gather. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I quite like phones in black; they tend to look sleeker than other colours. What colour would you prefer the 1520 in?

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I quite like phones in black; they tend to look sleeker than other colours. What colour would you prefer the 1520 in?

Black is boring,but some phones are nice in black i like the yellow or white,the majority of my nokia lumia devices are yellow including my extras!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Looks lovely, would definitely be interested in this. But to be honest, I'd rather wait a year and pick it up for peanuts. Buying a Windows Phone at release is such a killer, knowing that it will be worth next to nothing in a year.

I went from a HTC 8X to an S4, and I miss my 8X. I stupidly sold it to my mate for nothing, and am stuck with this heap of shite S4 now. Tempted to buy a cheap lumia 920.

Black is boring,but some phones are nice in black i like the yellow or white,the majority of my nokia lumia devices are yellow including my extras!

Black can be a bit boring, depending on the device, but I tend to like it more than some of the garish "look at me" colours.

With that said, the white Lumias look really nice and I was tempted to go for a white 1020 or 1520 but decided against it in the end. Do you think you'll get the 1520 in yellow? What other Lumias do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Looks lovely, would definitely be interested in this. But to be honest, I'd rather wait a year and pick it up for peanuts. Buying a Windows Phone at release is such a killer, knowing that it will be worth next to nothing in a year.

I went from a HTC 8X to an S4, and I miss my 8X. I stupidly sold it to my mate for nothing, and am stuck with this heap of shite S4 now. Tempted to buy a cheap lumia 920.

Dropped e30 already in price and it's not yet released ! I hope wont be €666 :(

Correct, the price will drop massively, due to not having established a big / huge fan base. But never know, i remember when Note came in, too big, too bulky and now, a big success (due to OS software as well)!

I keep asking around when it will be made available in Ireland, no one knows...I guess we need to watch the UK market and then, in matter of days it will be launched here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Size comparison shots. The 1520 looks awesome here:

photo1_zps0736dae8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

photo2_zps2a1a0f2d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That site is bananas!
    Where do they come up with their prices!?

The 920 is priced at over 500

That site is bananas!
    Where do they come up with their prices!?

The 920 is priced at over 500

True it has been reduced to 679 now. Still mad prices, I used to deal with him before I made other contacts.

As someone on this forum pointed out, the mainland europe amazon prices are very competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Any update what carriers will be stocking it?

• Advertisement

Next year by the looks of it,im enjoying mine i have to say,pity it takes so long for things to be pushed out over here.

Hoe the hell do you have one!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hoe the hell do you have one!?

It's been available to buy online for a few weeks now, currently costs around 650 euro.

theothernt wrote: »
    It's been available to buy online for a few weeks now, currently costs around 650 euro.

Not a few weeks and it's higher than 650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Got some time hands on with one earlier, seriously good piece of kit.
    Overall design is good and very impressive screen.
    Reckon its ideal for any one looking to combine phone and 7inch tablet into one device.

Got some time hands on with one earlier, seriously good piece of kit.
    Overall design is good and very impressive screen.
    Reckon its ideal for any one looking to combine phone and 7inch tablet into one device.

where was that then you seen it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

where was that then you seen it?

A friend who is an MS employee has one.

A friend who is an MS employee has one.
    Was thinking it would be along them lines seems to be great silence on the 1520 here.

Not a few weeks and it's higher than 650

Clove (in UK) have had it since early Dec for that price. It would have been available a week or so before elsewhere, but cost more.

Hopefully I'll have one in January for a few weeks, for testing :)

• Advertisement

Clove (in UK) have had it since early Dec for that price. It would have been available a week or so before elsewhere, but cost more.

Hopefully I'll have one in January for a few weeks, for testing :)

Hopefully you will,shame the way ireland is way behind the uk,lm just lucky i can get my hands on early..its big but fast ...

Hopefully you will,shame the way ireland is way behind the uk,lm just lucky i can get my hands on early..its big but fast ...

Yeah, that's always the case - smaller market, etc so networks only like to stock phones that are a 'safe bet'. We'll see in January ;)

As for the phone itself, I've read and seen on video that it is a bit faster but I'm curious to see what I can do with apps for that screen size/resolution.

Currently, when you run an app, it's simply scaled up to fit the screen but as the Lumia 1520 is a physically bigger phone, a developer can make the content on the screen (text, buttons, images, etc) just a little smaller, thus making room for more content, while not affecting the usability of the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Played with this about 6 weeks ago. Absolutely enormous in the hand (I have a Note 3....). Extremely fast device too. Really like what Nokia are doing these days - only ones doing something that feels different.

Played with this about 6 weeks ago. Absolutely enormous in the hand (I have a Note 3....). Extremely fast device too. Really like what Nokia are doing these days - only ones doing something that feels different.
    Yeah I've a note 3 too, never thought I see a big device especially form Nokia. I posted a shot of both earlier in the thread side by side.
    Big but fast and powerful.

Yeah, that's always the case - smaller market, etc so networks only like to stock phones that are a 'safe bet'. We'll see in January ;)

As for the phone itself, I've read and seen on video that it is a bit faster but I'm curious to see what I can do with apps for that screen size/resolution.

Currently, when you run an app, it's simply scaled up to fit the screen but as the Lumia 1520 is a physically bigger phone, a developer can make the content on the screen (text, buttons, images, etc) just a little smaller, thus making room for more content, while not affecting the usability of the app.

So far I've had no issues in any respect. So I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yeah I've a note 3 too, never thought I see a big device especially form Nokia. I posted a shot of both earlier in the thread side by side.
    Big but fast and powerful.

I dont think its that fast. Its great looking, games etc on the big screen, but seemed to lag longer on side by side comparison. Used a 1020 at the time but wasn't updated

• Advertisement

But it would seem that the masses of the public don't want something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

6 inches is way too big imo. I mean would this even fit in your pocket? We are slowly going back to the days when phones were like bricks that you had to hold up to your ear. Also you must look like some spa taking a photo with one of these. You'd look almost as bad as one of those crowd who take photos with the ipad. It looks ridiculous.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    6 inches is way too big imo. I mean would this even fit in your pocket? We are slowly going back to the days when phones were like bricks that you had to hold up to your ear. Also you must look like some spa taking a photo with one of these. You'd look almost as bad as one of those crowd who take photos with the ipad. It looks ridiculous.

It does fit in the pocket just about, its not much wider than the 1020, just a good bit longer. For the size it is considerably light.

Davy wrote: »
    It does fit in the pocket just about, its not much wider than the 1020, just a good bit longer. For the size it is considerably light.

That does make it sound much more attractive, although needing two hands to use it puts me off.

That does make it sound much more attractive, although needing two hands to use it puts me off.

Ye its a great device for two hands, but for a using it one handed is not really an option. The 1020 is big enough for one handed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

But it would seem that the masses of the public don't want something different.

Certainly one conclusion that you could draw.

Just got one (have a lend of one for a few weeks, for testing). Really big, definitely too big for one handed use (for me, anyway!) but quite light and very fast. Makes an iPhone look tiny :)

I still need to test the camera properly but it seems to be a little better than the 920. I've used the 1020 but it I think it's too slow for general use.

I like the camera on the 1520, and having the big screen makes it great to view them. One plus over the 1020

Still draw myself to the 1020 but for size the 1520 is good if you like big phones,love them both:D

The Nokia Lumia Icon (as it will be called on Verizon in the US) is a nice mix of the 1020 and 1520 as it has the size of the former with the guts of the latter. It's supposedly going to be called the 928 when it launches elsewhere.

The Nokia Lumia Icon (as it will be called on Verizon in the US) is a nice mix of the 1020 and 1520 as it has the size of the former with the guts of the latter. It's supposedly going to be called the 928 when it launches elsewhere.

Highly unlikely. I'd go as far to say no right now.

Highly unlikely. I'd go as far to say no right now.

I don't understand what you mean. Highly unlikely that it will be a handset you'd be interested in?

I don't understand what you mean. Highly unlikely that it will be a handset you'd be interested in?
    Nope it's a custom made handset.
    No variant same as last model.

Nope it's a custom made handset.
    No variant same as last model.

I got the model wrong, I meant to say Nokia 929. That's the handset I thought you'd be interested in which Verizon is calling the Nokia Lumia Icon. It's a 5" version of the 1520 from the specs that have been "leaked" so far. If that makes it over to this side of the world, I'd say it would do pretty well for itself.

I got the model wrong, I meant to say Nokia 929. That's the handset I thought you'd be interested in which Verizon is calling the Nokia Lumia Icon. It's a 5" version of the 1520 from the specs that have been "leaked" so far.

I'd like to see it, but these custom handset's are trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement