Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 1520 - 6 inch display!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Thanks, Davy.

I am getting the 950 on an upgrade and so am not getting the display dock. I am however getting it for €169.99 which seems to be cheaper than what I can get the 1520 for.

Battery life is important to me and gsm arena gives the Nokia 1520 a 107h endurance rating from it's 3400mah battery while the 950 has only got a 48h endurance rating from it's 3000mah battery.

From reading reviews the battery life on the 950 seems suspect, or am I wrong? I see people talk about fast ring/slow ring or something. What is this?

Another issue is all my chargers I currently have are microUSB v2.0 from my S4. I'll have to replace them with all new v3.1 ones with the 950.

Purely because of the price and the fact I can pick the 950 up from the shop this week with a guarantee I'll probably go that way.

Something tells me I'll live to regret it though.

Cheers,
    NBD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I can understand your concerns. The battery has had a lot of negative reviews but i do find mine greatly improved on recent software updates.

The fast and slow rings are trial software updates in the windows insider program. You will find all the details on Windows site. Sometimes an update can be poor and cause maybe issues but you don't have to part of the program.

The usb C is annoying having to change everything but you will have to change eventually as the move is now away from micro b.

Is this your first windows mobile?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Nabidana wrote: »
    Thanks, mp22.

Have never bought an electronic device through Amazon. Is it safe enough?

Also, when these phones say "unlocked" is it certain then they work with Irish carriers?

Finally, do you think it's the right decision to get the older 1520 over the new flagship 950?

Cheers, man.

Appreciated.
    Yea they work here I have a 1020 got on amazon in the states works grand,what phone you get is up to you,but windows 10 on the 950 is not getting much good press so to speak.

Davy wrote: »
    I can understand your concerns. The battery has had a lot of negative reviews but i do find mine greatly improved on recent software updates.

The fast and slow rings are trial software updates in the windows insider program. You will find all the details on Windows site. Sometimes an update can be poor and cause maybe issues but you don't have to part of the program.

The usb C is annoying having to change everything but you will have to change eventually as the move is now away from micro b.

Is this your first windows mobile?

Cheers Davy.

Are they all going towards C? (That's v3.1 I believe?)

If you get a poor update can you uninstall?

Yes haven't used a Windows phone before. Used mainly Android with a small bit of ios (shudder) thrown in.

Really am stuck in two minds. Thanks for the advice.

How does the 1520 take to Windows 10 upgrade lads?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I am getting the 950 on an upgrade and so am not getting the display dock. I am however getting it for €169.99 which seems to be cheaper than what I can get the 1520 for.

If the device is new, you'll probably still be eligible for the Display Dock. It's provided via the Lumia Offers app that is pre installed.

I'm after getting a replacement 950XL from the insurance and it was eligible for the display dock offer.

The display dock comes with an extra charger so it's quite handy for that at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How does the 1520 take to Windows 10 upgrade lads?

I haven't used a 1520 with W10, I have used a 930 for a long period with W10 and found it ran poor with W10 installed, while using the 950 at the same time I thought it ran a lot better. Certain updates had the 950 running hot, battery draining etc but even on the fast ring preview it has been stable for me. I would try the production build for awhile first and see how you find before thinking about installing a insider preview, especially with a brand new one.

liamog wrote: »
    I am getting the 950 on an upgrade and so am not getting the display dock. I am however getting it for 169.99 which seems to be cheaper than what I can get the 1520 for.

If the device is new, you'll probably still be eligible for the Display Dock. It's provided via the Lumia Offers app that is pre installed.

I'm after getting a replacement 950XL from the insurance and it was eligible for the display dock offer.

The display dock comes with an extra charger so it's quite handy for that at least.

Liamog,

You are a gentleman. Thank you. I received my new display dock in the post through the Lumia offers app as you suggested.

Cheers,
    NBD

Advertisement