Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 1520 - 6 inch display!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Backlight seems fine to me when on auto in a dark room, consistent level of brightness throughout the screen. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to adjust but that only seems noticeable when you've been in a bright place and then next time you turn your phone on it is in a dark place? Is it the glossy red version you got from Vodafone? I've read that it is lot better grip wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Is anyone having connectivity problems? I find I have to turn on and off flight mode to get the phone online periodically, happens with mobile and wifi, both show connected but can't receive any data.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Backlight seems fine to me when on auto in a dark room, consistent level of brightness throughout the screen. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to adjust but that only seems noticeable when you've been in a bright place and then next time you turn your phone on it is in a dark place? Is it the glossy red version you got from Vodafone? I've read that it is lot better grip wise?

No plain black, I didn't know they had a red one available.

Here's a pic of the backlight, hopefully will have the new one by tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's hard to tell you if it's worth getting, dealing with the size is a personal thing and it's just going to suit some people or it's not, mostly not? I've had it about 5 days now and would say for me it is borderline too big. I would consider my hands pretty big, I'm 6'4". Also I am coming from an LG G2 which has a 5.2" screen but that feels too small to me now. I think the sweet spot is about 5.9/5.10" with minimal bezel, for me anyway!? I also find that while the matte finish is very nice it is quite slippy in the hand. I'm waiting on a slim rubberised case which I'm hoping will make it lot easier to hold and also stop me accidentally hitting the buttons which I regularly do when trying to pick it up off the table.

The OS is not really optimised for such a big screen and it is noticeable on some screens and in some apps but for the most part it is a pleasure to use. Another thing is that I am a bit self conscious when using it in public. All my friends have been giving me a good natured slagging about the size too. Do I regret getting it? It's early days but I'm leaning towards no. I tend to switch phones fairly regularly but I can see myself sticking with this for 6 months at least which is long for me.

I read a lot of reviews and I would say this is the most accurate/one I agree with most

Any questions just ask!?

Thanks for that.
    I've read quite a bit too and heard all the variables but nice to hear real-world experience.
    It's a lot of dosh for simfree but I am tempted.

I'm guessing Nokia rather than MS will fix stuff like overly large text on OS menus etc (is that really bad cos that would totally annoy me)

What's the sound like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I've read quite a bit too and heard all the variables but nice to hear real-world experience.
    It's a lot of dosh for simfree but I am tempted.

I'm guessing Nokia rather than MS will fix stuff like overly large text on OS menus etc (is that really bad cos that would totally annoy me)

What's the sound like?

It's not bad at all really but a prime example of outsized text is in the Baconit (Reddit) app. I've taken a crappy picture with a Nexus 4 to give you an idea. Another example of just poor use of space is the alarm, just 2 tiny buttons for snooze and dismiss. It would be great if they had made huge buttons so when you wake up you're not fiddling with the phone trying to find the snooze button. It's Microsoft that really needs to address these kind of things or else let Nokia and other app makers to develop apps that take advantage of the space?

Sound is good. Can't speak for music but I listen to audiobooks a lot and so far it has sounded great. The sooner 8.1 comes out with separate volume controls the better though. I listen to audiobooks with earphones at very high volumes so if I forget to put the ringer on vibrate and then get a notification it absolutely blows the head off me!! The external speaker is fine, does a decent job as you'd expect.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38239/296162.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38239/296163.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yeah, volume control is crucial - how that slipped by I don't know.

Thanks for the pics, text doesn't look too bad actually!

Nokia appear to release device specific updates independent of MS which is a major plus for me, Samsung are pretty dormant with WP8 updates/apps/support though i suppose that's cos they only have 1 model out and that's almost a year old.

8.1 should be worth the wait, I really like the OS and I have all the apps I need (I'm sick of hearing about the lack of apps as a con in every review of any wp8 phone, WP8 hasn't as many as ios or android but then 99% of those are utter garbage)
    The big ones are almost all there (Flipboard should hurry up)

I'll know in a week or so if I can take the plunge on this, I'm leaning yes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Hi Lads,

How did the 1520 go for you all?

I've been in the market for a Windows phone with a while now and am supposed to be picking up my 950 this week.

Thing is though I'm a bit nervous after reading many 950 reviews and am now considering purchasing a 1520 instead. Would you recommend the 1520? Seems to be a serious piece of equipment. Even now.

Don't want to risk purchasing a second hand 1520 and will probably buy a new one straight from Microsoft. Is it difficult to get them unlocked from the AT&T network for say emobile?

Cheers,
    NBD.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Thanks, mp22.

Have never bought an electronic device through Amazon. Is it safe enough?

Also, when these phones say "unlocked" is it certain then they work with Irish carriers?

Finally, do you think it's the right decision to get the older 1520 over the new flagship 950?

Cheers, man.

Appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nabidana wrote: »
    Thanks, mp22.

Also, when these phones say "unlocked" is it certain then they work with Irish carriers?

Finally, do you think it's the right decision to get the older 1520 over the new flagship 950?

Cheers, man.

Appreciated.

I wouldn't purchase 1520 now over the 950 especially since the 950 price drop and free display dock etc.

Amazon are fine for purchasing sim free phones, but from one of the EU sites like .co.uk or .de and the phone will work fine with no import taxes. The only issue may be a 2 pin plug top which you may need an Adapter for €2.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Davy.

I am getting the 950 on an upgrade and so am not getting the display dock. I am however getting it for €169.99 which seems to be cheaper than what I can get the 1520 for.

Battery life is important to me and gsm arena gives the Nokia 1520 a 107h endurance rating from it's 3400mah battery while the 950 has only got a 48h endurance rating from it's 3000mah battery.

From reading reviews the battery life on the 950 seems suspect, or am I wrong? I see people talk about fast ring/slow ring or something. What is this?

Another issue is all my chargers I currently have are microUSB v2.0 from my S4. I'll have to replace them with all new v3.1 ones with the 950.

Purely because of the price and the fact I can pick the 950 up from the shop this week with a guarantee I'll probably go that way.

Something tells me I'll live to regret it though.

Cheers,
    NBD.

I can understand your concerns. The battery has had a lot of negative reviews but i do find mine greatly improved on recent software updates.

The fast and slow rings are trial software updates in the windows insider program. You will find all the details on Windows site. Sometimes an update can be poor and cause maybe issues but you don't have to part of the program.

The usb C is annoying having to change everything but you will have to change eventually as the move is now away from micro b.

Is this your first windows mobile?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Thanks, mp22.

Cheers, man.

Appreciated.
    Yea they work here I have a 1020 got on amazon in the states works grand,what phone you get is up to you,but windows 10 on the 950 is not getting much good press so to speak.

Davy wrote: »
    I can understand your concerns. The battery has had a lot of negative reviews but i do find mine greatly improved on recent software updates.

The fast and slow rings are trial software updates in the windows insider program. You will find all the details on Windows site. Sometimes an update can be poor and cause maybe issues but you don't have to part of the program.

The usb C is annoying having to change everything but you will have to change eventually as the move is now away from micro b.

Is this your first windows mobile?

Cheers Davy.

Are they all going towards C? (That's v3.1 I believe?)

If you get a poor update can you uninstall?

Yes haven't used a Windows phone before. Used mainly Android with a small bit of ios (shudder) thrown in.

Really am stuck in two minds. Thanks for the advice.

How does the 1520 take to Windows 10 upgrade lads?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I am getting the 950 on an upgrade and so am not getting the display dock. I am however getting it for €169.99 which seems to be cheaper than what I can get the 1520 for.

If the device is new, you'll probably still be eligible for the Display Dock. It's provided via the Lumia Offers app that is pre installed.

I'm after getting a replacement 950XL from the insurance and it was eligible for the display dock offer.

The display dock comes with an extra charger so it's quite handy for that at least.

How does the 1520 take to Windows 10 upgrade lads?

I haven't used a 1520 with W10, I have used a 930 for a long period with W10 and found it ran poor with W10 installed, while using the 950 at the same time I thought it ran a lot better. Certain updates had the 950 running hot, battery draining etc but even on the fast ring preview it has been stable for me. I would try the production build for awhile first and see how you find before thinking about installing a insider preview, especially with a brand new one.

liamog wrote: »
    I am getting the 950 on an upgrade and so am not getting the display dock. I am however getting it for 169.99 which seems to be cheaper than what I can get the 1520 for.

If the device is new, you'll probably still be eligible for the Display Dock. It's provided via the Lumia Offers app that is pre installed.

I'm after getting a replacement 950XL from the insurance and it was eligible for the display dock offer.

The display dock comes with an extra charger so it's quite handy for that at least.

Liamog,

You are a gentleman. Thank you. I received my new display dock in the post through the Lumia offers app as you suggested.

Cheers,
    NBD

Advertisement