Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Most expensive game ever made

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Wow, if that is the case I expect to be blown away by the level of detail in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Crazy! Game industry definitely right up there with movies now. Interesting to see how long it will take to break even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Crazy! Game industry definitely right up there with movies now. Interesting to see how long it will take to break even.

30-45 minutes after launch I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

It's not really a like for like comparison with movies though. The figures for GTA (and presumably other games so far) includes marketing activities, films don't.

I read in the paper at the weekend that its made its money back already in preorders. Insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GTA IV is still selling new everyday and how long is that one out, 5 years I think, maybe longer. These games always sell well, thankfully Rockstar are not greedy bastards like EA,2K Games or Activision with their yearly instalments of games. Looking forward to this time next week holding my GTA V in my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Just seen my first GTAv tv add on 3e, yay .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Already seeing posters on the sides of some Dublin Buses, says a lot really :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Already seeing posters on the sides of some Dublin Buses, says a lot really :cool:

Yeah, I'd say a large chunk of the budget was spent on marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say a large chunk of the budget was spent on marketing.

I hope not. Games like this will sell themselves. Obviously a bit of marketing is needed, just hope they didnt spent more than 5-10mil on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I heard this eswell earlier today, I wouldn't be surprised really considering the level at which GTA V is at, you can do almost anything, I for one am more excited about this than any movie ive heard of or seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hope not. Games like this will sell themselves. Obviously a bit of marketing is needed, just hope they didnt spent more than 5-10mil on it.

5-10 million? the music rights would cost more, with movies it's average 25-50% of the budget is marketing. to the marketing for GTA would probably be up around the 50-70 million mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

krudler wrote: »
    5-10 million? the music rights would cost more, with movies it's average 25-50% of the budget is marketing. to the marketing for GTA would probably be up around the 50-70 million mark.

Suppose its better to over-kill than under-kill. Madness though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One problem is that, as the new consoles gain traction in the general games playing population, fewer and fewer people will have a console that can play GTA 5 on.
    People are still buying and enjoying GTA 4 and it's DLC some years later, GTA V's platform will be done and dusted in a couple of years, unless you have the PC version.
    Unless we see a upgraded version released for the One/PS4 in a year or two, including any DLC that might be forthcoming.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Qardaha

Sorry to go off topic, but will this come out on PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One problem is that, as the new consoles gain traction in the general games playing population, fewer and fewer people will have a console that can play GTA 5 on.
    People are still buying and enjoying GTA 4 and it's DLC some years later, GTA V's platform will be done and dusted in a couple of years, unless you have the PC version.
    Unless we see a upgraded version released for the One/PS4 in a year or two, including any DLC that might be forthcoming.....

They will undoubtedly port it to both next gen consoles anyway, and some people still play GTA:SA and a lot of people still play IV. They will have no problem selling GTA V for at least the next four years (if they don't release a new GTA in that time).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Qardaha wrote: »

Almost certainly and, it'll probably be the best version and an important indicator of where the eventual PS4 and One editions are going to be like, as the PC always seems to lead the way in terms of tech.
    I can't see Rockstar being satisfied with a shoddy conversion anyway, and seeing as the architecture of the two new consoles is similar to a PC anyways, sure it'd make sense to see the same HQ assets being used.
    By that stage the PS3/360 games will look like the poor relation!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

Bepolite wrote: »
    30-45 minutes after launch I'd say.

I've heard they already made the money back on pre-orders alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Qardaha wrote: »

is there not some post that shows code on the disk highlight the ps4s operating system and also highlight some parts for pc too.

Advertisement