Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black spots on dogs under belly

• 09-09-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

I noticed our dog had black spots on his under belly last night. He also was sick after eating twice yesterday evening. Seemed in fine form this morning - ate and wasnt sick or anything. He has had ear mites recently which we got him treated for (antibiotics and another dose of drontol) and this was only two weeks ago. He is still going mad rubbing his ears off the ground. So we are heading back to the vets again with him this evening. Just wondering should I be worried about the black spots. Could the issues connected?

20130908_211125_zpsa78beea1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

this just looks like the normal pigmentation on the dogs bare belly (where the hair is finer/less thick)? Its hard to see quite in the photo, but most dogs around that area on their belly will have pigmentation and you can just see it more because the hair is lighter. Its around the nipple area for a bitch - I suppose evolution made that area bare so her puppies could get at the nipples easier? Also around that area for a dog's (evolution didnt differenciate?!?!) penis.

Strangely this colouring became more obvious 'suddenly' on my elderly dog - not sure if this was because his hair was thinning, or because he was aging the skin there was darker...

Hope you get your dogs ear mites sorted - they are the pits - must be so irritating for the dog. If he's prone to ear mites (some dogs are) you might ask your vet to show you how to clean your dogs ears (when the infection clears up) on a regular basis, to prevent mites in the future. (Ask your vet also about washing the dogs bedding, and general maintenance, apologies if you know this stuff already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Are they flat, or raised ? Does he try to itch them ?
    Saw this:
    http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np.php?id=2410-black-spots-on-belly-and-chest
    Does that look similar ?

Advertisement