Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

• 09-09-2013 3:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

seems odd there isn't a thread up for this. The team is out already

FAI ‏@FAIreland
    Team to face Austria in Vienna tomorrow night: Forde,Coleman,O'Shea, Dunne,Wilson,Walters,Green,McCarthy, Pilkington,Keane, Long

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

seems odd there isn't a thread up for this.
    Not really, just thinking about having to watch it makes me sad.

EDIT: Paul green is in the team? Now I'm even sadder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not really, just thinking about having to watch it makes me sad.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Green and Pilkington. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we went out there tomorrow and nicked it with that team

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Trap selecting Paul green in a game we have to win really sums up his tenor as ireland manager, shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

zefer wrote: »
    Trap selecting Paul green in a game we have to win really sums up his tenor as ireland manager, shocking

Who would you play instead given it's 4 - 4 - 2 away from home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Paul Mc Grath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I share the usual concerns about Green but its probbaly safe to say that in an away game you need some sort of foil for McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Please god, get sacked.

BTW, there is better players to pick from than Paul Green, but that said every single time he's been selected he's played well.

He played well against Austria in the home fixture, this all said it's pointless, our midfielders are wasted, our game plan is long balls from defence to forward and look for flick on's pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

• Advertisement

Happy to see Pilkington replace McClean.

For all his detractors I wish McGeady had been around on Friday.

Right so.

Obviously we beat Austria and Sweden lose in Kazaksthan.

So we are both on 14 points but with us behind on head to head.

Obviously we nick a point in Germany whilst Sweden get overturned by Austria.

Then we just beat Kazaks at home in order to get second place with 18 points.

Then deduct 6 points for the Faroes games and I wonder would that even be enough for one of the best 8 play-off places?

Christ, even my hail mary hopes for second are floundering.

Who says he has to play 4-4-2? Besides the point, I won't even start on who he hasn't picked for the squad/alienated? Darren Gibson just sitting at home for one.
    Anyway I just can't wait wait for this campaign to be finished, so he's gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not only Green starting but Walters on the wing whereas playing Brady there would add some pace and guile to the team and not to mention his ability from set pieces. Heartbreaking stuff!

zefer wrote: »
    Who says he has to play 4-4-2? Besides the point, I won't even start on who he hasn't picked for the squad/alienated? Darren Gibson just sitting at home for one.
    Anyway I just can't wait wait for this campaign to be finished, so he's gone

Great argument pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I just don't get it anymore. I don't even care about Green, there's no one else. But the selection on the wings is just retarded. ****sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

noodler wrote: »
    Right so.

Obviously we beat Austria and Sweden lose in Kazaksthan.

So we are both on 14 points but with us behind on head to head.

Obviously we nick a point in Germany whilst Sweden get overturned by Austria.

Then we just beat Kazaks at home in order to get second place with 18 points.

Then deduct 6 points for the Faroes games and I wonder would that even be enough for one of the best 8 play-off places?

Christ, even my hail mary hopes for second are floundering.

I was actually starting to get a teeeeny bit hopeful until I came to the 6 points sentence :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Darron Gibson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see Trappatoni's epic trolling of the Irish national team is going to continue to the last!

Is McClean injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is McClean injured?

No - Trap is worried he might do something off the cuff or creative so he's been dropped, too risky to pick him...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

As someone said we should have Gibson in there. But considering he messed that up, and we need to win, sacrafice o'Shea from defence and play him as the holding midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

iDave wrote: »
    I was actually starting to get a teeeeny bit hopeful until I came to the 6 points sentence :(

Our group will get the play off, it'll group B or E that will lose out

Austria are going to batter us tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

iDave wrote: »

Bulgaria are second in Group B with 10 points and only two wins :( . We actually got a difficult group considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

feck it, we basically 100% out, why not go mad and maybe throw Cunningham left back and put Wilson in CM where he has been for Stoke recently and swap Brady on wing instead of Walters..

try something like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

For the love of God.

Why the fook does he name his team 30 hours before kick off anyways??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm sick of Walters on the wing at this stage. He offers very, very little out there and is going to have his work cut out with Alaba. I'm not surprised at Green, and in Traps setup it makes sense. I think if we couldn't have a big performance, or anything even near it, for a game like the Sweden one then I can't see it for this one.

I can see it already, we get beat and people will say Pilkington isn't good enough for Ireland, just like McCarthy and Coleman before him, thrown into the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kfallon wrote: »
    Darron Gibson!

Darren Gibson has turned his back on representing his country and is unavailable for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Pointless game after what happened on Friday. Pointless result too.

wprathead wrote: »
    feck it, we basically 100% out, why not go mad and maybe throw Cunningham left back and put Wilson in CM where he has been for Stoke recently and swap Brady on wing instead of Walters..

try something like

I like this idea.

I'd forgotten about Wilson's natural position apparently being DMF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    As someone said we should have Gibson in there. But considering he messed that up, and we need to win, sacrafice o'Shea from defence and play him as the holding midfielder

Not a bad idea but he doesn't have the legs anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Pointless game after what happened on Friday. Pointless result too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

agreed about the wingers in particular, what is he doing with Walters out there? And when I see Cox come on :rolleyes: We used to bring on subs and often they could change a game, I never have any faith now though... I honestly think with a decent manager and one proper leader in the team, the likes of a roy Keane, even this team would probably be finishing second comfortably enough and in with a reasonable chance for the play offs...

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Great argument pal.

Not trying to argue and not sure if you're being a smartarse or not but i really don't care anymore. I'm just looking forward to the end of the campaign at this stage and a change

I see Martin O'Neill is the bookies favourite, if we get him, what kind of style would he be likely to have us playing? Id take McCarthy back in an instant, Kerr might be worth a shot for one campaign, certainly not Staunton anyway, Keane might be another one, I think I read he had expressed interest in the position, he would certainly bring a lot to the table that is lacking at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I see Martin O'Neill is the bookies favourite, if we get him, what kind of style would he be likely to have us playing? Id take McCarthy back in an instant, Kerr might be worth a shot for one campaign, certainly not Staunton anyway, Keane might be another one, I think I read he had expressed interest in the position, he would certainly bring a lot to the table that is lacking at the moment...

FAI/Delaney wouldn't touch Keane with a barge poll.

I take it fergie is out of the equation? LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Idbatterim wrote: »

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I thought mclean was one of the better players on friday and he gets dropped, bah green in midfield too. Its tough times to be an irish national team supporter these days.

Seriously?
    it really depends on the other candidates. Kerr is the opposite extreme in a lot of ways that Trap gets slated for... I hope to christ that Keane stays for one more campaign, if he goes, I will literally lose all faith...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Darren Gibson has turned his back on representing his country and is unavailable for selection.

And he's also injured at the moment so he was never really an option.
    Under the circumstances Trap was always going to pick Green for this one.
    Tbh, he can't be much worse than Whelan on Friday night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't rate Martin O'Neill at all.
    Hope we aim higher than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Green starts and we expect to get 3 points in Austria?

haha..

hahahahaha..

hahahahahahahahaha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

haha..

hahahahaha..

hahahahahahahahaha..

Is he worse than Whelan in a CM duo though?

I'm more worried about Walters out wide and McClean on the bench

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

haha..

hahahahaha..

hahahahahahahahaha..

Give the lad a break, Jesus. How can he play any worse than Whelan usually plays? Or Wilson the other night? He's not Pele but he seems to at least have a certain bit of composure about him and does his job.

Is he worse than Whelan in a CM duo though?

I'm more worried about Walters out wide and McClean on the bench

On current form I dont think so tbf.

But lets face it even though we aint blessed with CM out there at the minute there are better options than Green like. Not many, but at least a few.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Give the lad a break, Jesus. How can he play any worse than Whelan usually plays? Or Wilson the other night? He's not Pele but he seems to at least have a certain bit of composure about him and does his job.

If you have read my posts on the last few days you will know my feelings on Whelan. A crock of **** basically the last 16 months for Ireland.

But Green aint going to do jack **** better either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

McClean seems to have been picked vs Sweden cos of his physicality and work-rate on top of his attacking qualities. Austria aren't as strong/physical as Sweden so Pilkington gets chosen. Weren't people clamouring for Pilkington to be played before? What's changed now?

The right winger seems to be selected as a third striker for the last few games. Walters/Cox both stray in-field during the match but look anonymous. They're just seem to be stood in the centre being marked, doing nothing while Coleman has no help down the right wing.
    Two natural wingers would seem to work alot better.

Even as a target man, Long is doing a better job than Walters.

I don't like Green either but he did play decently the last couple of times he's been called upon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement