Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Terribly bitter vile on this thread for a man that got us to two play-offs in a row. At least the panel have a bit more class.

Who was the last manager that got a good send-off from fans and media? Big Jack?

Not sure why any coach would want to take this job and face being hounded out of it in the long run.

That's football, unfortunately. Trap did a job for us and fair play to him for that.

Time for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

slingerz wrote: »
    Tony Pulis is unemployed I reckon the stoke tactics would work for ireland

I just got a little sick in my mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

would martin o neill be a such a good manager for ireland? I think he'd pick a better team for sure, but the style of play would remain very direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

tigger123 wrote: »
    In order to sack him they have to pay out his contract, which they can't afford to do, so he's going nowhere.

They'll be paying Trap to sit on his hole in Rome til next June anyway, so why not sack him now?

How are they saving money exactly????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Jaysus.. it's turned into a wake

I know, some of the stuff sounds like they were about to clock off for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Lennonist wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill would be an excellent appointment, not sure we can get him, we'd be lucky to get him.

In what way would he be excellent, or even any better than a relatively unknown coach?

Ireland has been more about management than players & matches for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the cost to get him out is only going to be what we would pay a new manager from when we hire him. We either pay him whatever it is now or continue to pay it on a monthly basis until he leaves, its a zero sum game either way. One thing is for sure though, if a new manager is appointed now, the attendances and interest will go up immediately (read MONEY here FAI)...

burrenguy wrote: »
    would martin o neill be a such a good manager for ireland? I think he'd pick a better team for sure, but the style of play would remain very direct.

Not necessarily true, Villa played some great football under O'Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Havermeyer wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Trap's, but the questions put to him by O'Donoghue post match, for a while now, have been pretty disrespectful - lacking in tact, as a reporter, imo.

I feel that way too. Massive Trap hater but have always felt uncomfortable when O'Donoghue's intervewed him, asking about 'X player' not playing or his job position etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The FAI need to invest more in grassroots football. It is becoming less common to find top Irish players in the premier league at the minute unless we try the granny rule. I would like if we could use the money that we were paying trap invested more wisely, but that ain't going to happen.

We need rid of Delaney as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

slingerz wrote: »
    Tony Pulis is unemployed I reckon the stoke tactics would work for ireland

The scary thing is that he would probably be a major improvement on Trappattoni the Irish Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

MD1990 wrote: »
    lol at Dunphy's Trap's football isnt the Irish tradition
    we have always played hoofball

Not true.

We played really good football under Mick McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I can see both sides of the argument between Brady and Dunphy.

Brady is right when he says that we haven't exactly a conveyor belt of talent to pick from but the other side of this is that Trappattoni ignored decent players for too long and picked honest but non-skilful players ahead of them.

Trap will pay with his job but its more than him to needs to go if we're being totally honest. Why on earth's name do you give a contract up to next June btw when this qualifying campaign ends next month? :confused: The fact of the matter is that those who administer Irish football in this country are rotten to the core.

On a brighter note, Alaba is a super player and a joy to watch. There will be definately clubs tracking him over the next few years and Bayern will dig their heels in to hold onto him

If Bayern keep going the way there going he could be there for years.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Of course I don't know. It's all about optics, politics and saving face now. Some in the FAI wanted him gone a year ago and I'm sure they'll want him gone ASAP. He won't be managing the team in Cologne. I wage a fair amount on that.

Those utter dopes offered him a new deal BEFORE the start of the Euro's. :mad: Another example of shambolic mismanagement from the junketeer brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

800,00 to pay Trap off...well worth it. Home game v Kazakhstan will be full if new boss is there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Next world rankings could potentially have Ireland 59th in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭tigger123

They'll be paying Trap to sit on his hole in Rome til next June anyway, so why not sack him now?

How are they saving money exactly????

Because they still have to pay a manager, and they can barely afford to pay one, nevermind two managers at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I reckon we give Steve Staunton another shot

"I'm the boss. I'm the gaffer. At the end of the day what I say goes, the buck stops with me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

LowOdour wrote: »
    I think it should be a complete clear out now. Trap, Tardelli, Dunphy,Giles, Bill...get rid of all of them. They have all lost the plot

yeah get Richie Sadler, Southgate and Shearer in... none confrontational ....

Savour this... leave Bill (ok ok), Dunphy (ah ah) and Giles (honesty of effort) where they are you'll miss them when they're gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

edgecutter wrote: »
    The FAI need to invest more in grassroots football. It is becoming less common to find top Irish players in the premier league at the minute unless we try the granny rule. I would like if we could use the money that we were paying trap invested more wisely, but that ain't going to happen.

We need rid of Delaney as well.

Delaney and Gavin have to go. They don't give a fúck about LOI/grassroots.

• Advertisement

edgecutter wrote: »

We need rid of Delaney as well

Removing 1 tumour wont rid the cancer. We have had many 'leaders' that have walked over the years in disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

the current odds on the next manager

Might throw a tenner on Robbie Fowler.Anything is possible with the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Decision has been made ?? according to Keano

Good auld Tony just tried it on with Keane...

Because they still have to pay a manager, and they can barely afford to pay one, nevermind two managers at the same time.

So we're going to wait til next June to install a new manager when we're clearly in need of someone to come in and make the transition before the Euros?

He'll have maybe 1 friendly before Euro qualification next September...c'mon. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

O donoghue can piss off with trap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Classy interview from Robbie. Top man.

Poor Tony seems disappointed that Keane won't slate Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I didn't like that question from Tony O'Donoghue, trying to imply to Robbie Keane that Trappatoni was definitely gone. Trying to trap Keane into putting his foot in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

the current odds on the next manager

Might throw a tenner on Robbie Fowler.Anything is possible with the FAI.

Joe Kinnear at 66/1.

Given his contacts in the game, what could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Lots of talk about expectations being too high which I don't understand. I think it's reasonable to expect to reach playoffs with this team. We have now failed to qualify for nine of the last ten tournaments - I don't think expecting better than that is expecting too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Joe Kinnear at 66/1.

LOL :D

Joe Kinnear at 66/1.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

So we're going to wait til next June to install a new manager when we're clearly in need of someone to come in and make the transition before the Euros?

He'll have maybe 1 friendly before Euro qualification next September...c'mon. :rolleyes:

I'm stating the way it is, I'm not arguing whether he should stay or go. The only way he's leaving is if he resigns, which the FAI pushed towards at the away match in the Faroes with no success. He's not going anywhere.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Poor Tony seems disappointed that Keane won't slate Trap.

Agreed.

'didn't mean any disrespect' :rolleyes:

He's either useless at his job or trolling the lot of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

ha ha good man robbie the rubbing of the nose means that what you just said about trap.... was absolute BS and you know it. but fair play as captain you cant really say it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

That_Guy wrote: »
    Delaney and Gavin have to go. They don't give a fúck about LOI/grassroots.

Agree, take some of Delaney's wage pile and give it to the youth system. In underage football, stop picking most of the big tall beefy lads and let the small technical skillful lads get a look in, stop the hoof ball syndrome in summer and winter leagues.

Start getting u7's-u12's playing passing and skillful football without competition, and let them have fun with the ball. Drill the basic's into them, passing, touch, shooting, position and tracking the runner. Pass the ball, look for a player and make the ball do the work, it's not rocket science. Build it up over years and give them a chance.

We've an Irish rugby team to do moderately well.. we can have we have a football team that does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

They are on about expectation about qualifying which I'am still scratching my head about. I don't care if we get beat, it happens. I do care when we can't create chances to even try and get a win. We never looked like scoring tonight and even against Sweden we didnt look like scoring(Keane's goal was terrible play by sweden at the back).

It's been too long since we beat a big side and it won't happen the way we play.

Tabloid journo rag stuff from the interviewer. Worse than Sky

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'm stating the way it is, I'm not arguing whether he should stay or go. The only way he's leaving is if he resigns, which the FAI pushed towards at the away match in the Faroes with no success. He's not going anywhere.

Could they not pay out his contract and boot him?

When was that faroes match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I certainly dont want some mercenary ex English manager in charge! They will only be in it 100% for the money, like Trap! get someone with some loyalty and passion!

Speaking of grassroots... A Shels U-19 player, Dylan Cashin did this on Saturday. http://vimeo.com/74233532

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

ambid wrote: »
    Lots of talk about expectations being too high which I don't understand. I think it's reasonable to expect to reach playoffs with this team. We have now failed to qualify for nine of the last ten tournaments - I don't think expecting better than that is expecting too much.
    If we had Zlatan or Alaba I would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Thanks for the memories Trap. You are a legend but now it time to go

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Tabloid journo rag stuff from the interviewer. Worse than Sky

Even then there are good ways to be disrespectful, O' Donoghue is just hard on the ears and on the brain.

Could they not pay out his contract and boot him?

They could, but there'd be a serious lack of funds for a replacement, and we'll end up with Stan or the equivalent.

When was that faroes match?

Try Google maybe, I'm on a mobile device, in Vienna. :-(

They could, but there'd be a serious lack of funds for a replacement, and we'll end up with Stan or the equivalent.

Are you the accountant for the FAI or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

In what way would he be excellent, or even any better than a relatively unknown coach?

Ireland has been more about management than players & matches for the last 10 years.

O'Neill would instil confidence in them, he'd make the most of the talents at his disposal and he'd send them out with an attitude where they would fear no-one. He's the perfect man for the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement