Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

tigger123 wrote: »
    They could, but there'd be a serious lack of funds for a replacement, and we'll end up with Stan or the equivalent.

We don't have to pay top dollar to get a competent manger. Just look at what some other national teams get and it doesn't cost in the millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

They should do the **** for breach of contract....if i done my job half arsed and refused to do things on the job spec id be sacked without compensation!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Could they not pay out his contract and boot him?

It's bad mojo

Pisses some players off and instils a lot of insecurity when the next guy takes the reigns.

It'd be a lot better if Trap did the gracious thing and stepped down for the good of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

tigger123 wrote: »
    Try Google maybe, I'm on a mobile device, in Vienna. :-(

It was 11 months ago. That's why they couldn't pay him. 11 months puts quite a dent in that pay off.

roanoke wrote: »
    No he wasn't. We spent the last 6 months of his reign getting outplayed by the likes of Austria, Portugal, Holland (and even Latvia) and he still got a heroes send off at Anfield after we had spent 90mins being played off the park by the Dutch.

Id agree Jacks time was up at that time but i think he captured the nations imagination in a way that Trap never could. That said i can remember ahead of Italia 90, Jack had 3 Liverpool players on his squad (Liverpool were league champions) and you also had players from Villa, Arsenal and other top flights clubs so in Traps defence he just didnt have that luxury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm not mad about O'Neill, but there really doesn't seem to be any other decent candidates. Wouldn't usually touch manager markets with stolen money, but had a small bet at 9/2 last week because he was the only one who stuck out in the slightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why Joey O Brien is not involved in the squad. Unless he has made himself unavailable than i find it bizarre he is comfortably our best cb choice.

He's not a centre back, he plays left back but is naturally a right back.

He was named in the squad last Friday week August 30th and then FAI Statement ..."West Ham's Joey O'Brien is also suffering from a knee injury and is undergoing treatment at his club.
    "There are no plans at present to add any replacements."

Except Joey played the full 90 mins for United on Saturday August 31st at home to Stoke :confused:

Can't say I blame him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭tigger123

vicwatson wrote: »
    He's not a centre back, he plays left back but is naturally a right back.

He was named in the squad last Friday week August 30th and then FAI Statement ..."West Ham's Joey O'Brien is also suffering from a knee injury and is undergoing treatment at his club.
    "There are no plans at present to add any replacements."

Except Joey played the full 90 mins for United on Saturday August 31st at home to Stoke :confused:

Can't say I blame him !
    I think he took the international break to get some surgery done on a reoccurring injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Bring back Mick McCarthy and silence those two goons - Hyland and Dunphy. Why? Because some people believe them.
    Serious questions should be asked about Delaney's tenure and the reason why this idiotic Italian was given a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Currently, these are the other other countries in 4th spot or with similar amount of points:
    Serbia, Denmark, Turkey, Romania, Slovenia, Norway, Israel, Slovakia, Poland and Finland.

That is our level regardless of the manager. If we get a new manager with some fresh ideas and new formation then we may take a step above these kind of teams and qualify, but it will always be tight.
    We need to compare ourselves to these countries in terms of size and football pedigree and be realistic about our chances. Qualifying will always be a MASSIVE achievement.
    Trap did great in the first two campaigns. Now the well is dry and it's time to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

O'Donohue is an embarrassment. I want Trap gone but his blatant disrespect is way over the line. Shameful carry on.

as mentioned the real issue here is delaney (does not warrant a capital D)

Irish football will always be a laughing stock until proper organization is in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I certainly dont want some mercenary ex English manager in charge! They will only be in it 100% for the money, like Trap! get someone with some loyalty and passion!

This!

Steve Staunton fits the bill. Ex Ireland Captain, Premiership footballer, Passiona..... Oh wait....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looking at the players available I think Brady is spot on. I remember him saying something similar a few years back about being worried about future players coming through. Dunphy is talking nonsense and is insulting. But then Dunphy has never had to walk the talk.
    Looking at the players
    Forde - has played quite well but is a major liability when the ball is played back to him
    Coleman - is not a natural defender and is liable to mistakes or taking a risk. Still a viable alternative but maybe on rhs of midfield.
    Dunne - is finished. Has been a great player and loyal servant
    OShea - could still give us another campaign but lacks pace and easily turned
    Wilson - not bad, could do a job.
    Whelan - was never upto it at this level
    McCarthy - easy to see why big teams didn't come in for him. He is a decent player but lacks pace. Be interesting to see what he could do further up the field or with extra numbers in the middle. As Giles said before still doesn't look for the ball.
    McLean/Pilkington/Hoolahan/Walters - never going to offer much
    Keane - still has something to offer. Our best finisher by a mile.
    Long - has pace and a great leap but lacks vision and an ability to link play. The fact that West Brom were willing to sell him for £5 million is not a good sign, less than they paid for him.

No great players seem to be coming through at the level of Duff, Keane, Carr or Given. Even in the bad campaigns we always brought through 1 or 2 players - this time there is very little.
    One can only hope some young player comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Bring back Mick McCarthy

I hope the FAI ask Mick to take the job again (just so he can then do this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

soccer is a minor sport in this country if you consider the GAA and rugby. We have a better chance at the cricket than soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Moneymaker wrote: »
    O'Donohue is an embarrassment. I want Trap gone but his blatant disrespect is way over the line. Shameful carry on.

I was just thinking that. Personally, if I were Trap, I'd have told him to f**k off.

Looking at the players available I think Brady is spot on. I remember him saying something similar a few years back about being worried about future players coming through. Dunphy is talking nonsense and is insulting. But then Dunphy has never had to walk the talk.
    Looking at the players
    Forde - has played quite well but is a major liability when the ball is played back to him
    Coleman - is not a natural defender and is liable to mistakes or taking a risk. Still a viable alternative but maybe on rhs of midfield.
    Dunne - is finished. Has been a great player and loyal servant
    OShea - could still give us another campaign but lacks pace and easily turned
    Wilson - not bad, could do a job.
    Whelan - was never upto it at this level
    McCarthy - easy to see why big teams didn't come in for him. He is a decent player but lacks pace. Be interesting to see what he could do further up the field or with extra numbers in the middle. As Giles said before still doesn't look for the ball.
    McLean/Pilkington/Hoolahan/Walters - never going to offer much
    Keane - still has something to offer. Our best finisher by a mile.
    Long - has pace and a great leap but lacks vision and an ability to link play. The fact that West Brom were willing to sell him for £5 million is not a good sign, less than they paid for him.

No great players seem to be coming through at the level of Duff, Keane, Carr or Given. Even in the bad campaigns we always brought through 1 or 2 players - this time there is very little.
    One can only hope some young player comes through.

I hate to say it but I fear we could be headed the way of Scotland for a few years

aindriu80 wrote: »
    soccer is a minor sport in this country if you consider the GAA and rugby. We have a better chance at the cricket than soccer.

Trolling??

Ridiculous comment if not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Seaneh wrote: »
    Conor. 1. Fu*king. Sammon.

2. Anyone who tries to defend this ****e is a ****ing moron.
    You are ridiculous at this stage, give it up, your act is over, admit this has been a shambles and get over it.
    Yes, because criticism of the blatant ineptness of the management is the same as wanting Ireland to lose.

3. Brilliant ****ing conclusion there.

There is a difference between not being blindly supportive to idiocy and not wanting Ireland to win.

4a. You are either myopic in the extreme or beyond trolling, and neither are anything but tiresome.
    4b. You've posted long winded, rambling, steaming piles of ****e where you repeat the same nonsense which completely ignores reality and claim anyone who dissents from your views wants Ireland to lose just so they can say "I told you so", which is nothing short of nonsense and has become more and more transparent in the last year and a bit.
    Well done, well done, don't deal with the topic at hand, dig up ****e which was pointless in another thread (because apparently young people dont remember watching football matches) and try and use it to detract from someone who disagrees with you in a completely unrelated thread.

4c. ****ing genius you are.
    1. Slate Sammon
    2. Slate anyone who has an opinion you disagree with.
    3. Curse some more coz that's big and clever
    4a,4b, 4c: Slate and insult a poster for said dissenting view which he delivered free of personal abuse.
    Martin O'Neill can **** off as well, he'd just be same ****e, different underpants.
    5. Curse more.
    6. Slate Martin O' Neill

Have you got tourettes or what's your problem with delivering an articulate opinion without resorting to cursing lots to get a few extra thanks for an opinion that most hold (that this campaign has descended into shambles and Traps time is up).

Plenty of people, like Brady, can recognise Trap did pretty well on the whole. His win/loss record stacks up with most managers we've had. He got us to a tournament we hadn't got to in 24 years. His time has run its course and he should leave with his head held pretty high on the whole. He's a good decent man and if his tenure with Ireland was a round of golf i'd say he shot a good solid 71. Par for the course was us missing out on every tournament for the past decade. He shot under par and i wish him well in his retirement if he hangs up the boots.

Either which way no need to behave like a child. People are allowed have opinions and don't need you on your high horse eff'ing and blind'ing them into the ground for their opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No it's not :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You won't find many bigger defenders of Trap on here than me, but it is time for a change. Things have gone too stale.

Nothing against him, no abuse etc, he tried his very best for 5 years, took us to a World Cup playoff as we held our own before being robbed against France and then took us to Euro 2012. This World Cup qualifying campaign has been poor but I always felt Sweden would grab that second spot.

Good luck to him in the future, he's served his time 5 times over in terms of the management so I hope he will take a deserved break from the game now.

The biggest hurdle will be avoiding the appointment of Martin O'Neill as manager. He's free and cheap so will appeal to the FAI, and his work ethic during his time at Sunderland would fit in well with the international football calendar so he may well be interested. However, if the FAI appoint him then they deserve everything they get, and it won't be good.

They need to be ambitious, stump up the cash and get a proper manager. If the money is right, said manager will come, as has been proven by football associations all over the world time and time again.

You have got to be joking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

roanoke wrote: »
    I hope the FAI ask Mick to take the job again (just so he can then do this)

Patently obvious. Come again!

I hate to say it but I fear we could be headed the way of Scotland for a few years

Even England are now playing guys who are struggling to get into premiership teams. International football has been dying for a number of years. The whole Qatar WC fiasco could be a watershed moment.

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    Trolling??

Ridiculous comment if not

Well I'm waiting around a long time then. But seriously if you look at the players available to play for Ireland and with Trap we have seen most of them and you look at the FAI finances things aren't exactly jumping out at us. The LOI has poor attendances and soccer stadia around the country are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Future squad?

Westwood

Coleman -- Clark -- O'Shea/O'Brien -- Wilson
    McCarthy --- Gibson
    Brady -- Hoolahan -- McClean/McGeady
    Long

Subs: Keane, Pilkington, ????

Even England are now playing guys who are struggling to get into premiership teams. International football has been dying for a number of years. The whole Qatar WC fiasco could be a watershed moment.

Maybe in Ireland and Britain, but look at the resurgence of countries like Belgium and Uruguay for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Don't be ridiculous, the level of interest in soccer is multiples of that in rugby.

Soccer may have a lot of problems but the level of interest and participation is not one.

Future squad?

Westwood

Coleman -- Clark -- O'Shea/O'Brien -- Wilson
    McCarthy --- Gibson
    Brady -- Hoolahan -- McClean/McGeady
    Long

Subs: Keane, Pilkington, ????

Whatever about the players, that may be the best formation. 4-4-2 is very predictable.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous, the level of interest in soccer is multiples of that in rugby.

Soccer may have a lot of problems but the level of interest and participation is not one.

The interest is sky high but in terms of people and resources its not there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's difficult with that cricket team bleeding all the resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

So because England and Ireland are ****, the whole international football world is going to collapse?

Maybe in Ireland and Britain, but look at the resurgence of countries like Belgium and Uruguay for example.

Belgium look to have a great pool coming through but we will have to wait and see what they become. They have also benefited from players of African descent coming into their system. Uruguay are similar population wise but I would imagine football is their number 1 sport.

As for the formation I'm not sure if we have the players. To play in that system you have to have very good technical players. We don't have those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ok this team does not have a superstar. It doesn't have a Keane or Duff of past or an Alaba or Ibrahimovic. But what it does have is a squad full of very solid players. People keep defending Trap saying he doesn't have the players but it's nonsense really. We have a squad that should be performing better than we are. The fact Trap won't alter his tactics to fit players in doesn't help.

The failure to move away from 4-4-2 is just mind boggling. Our weakest area is our cm options. How we have not lined up with three in the center is beyond me. The team below i think would have had a good chance of getting the better of Sweeden and Austria.

Forde

Coleman O Brien Dunne O Shea

Whelan Wilson McCarthy

Brady McClean

Keane

Looking at the options below we have a pretty decent pool of players to choose from. It's a shame we don't use the squad as we could.

GK: Westwood, Forde, Hernderson.

Def: Coleman, Kelly, Wilson, O Shea, St Ledger, Dunne, O Brien, Clark, Cunningham, O Dea, McShane, Delaney, Pearce

Mid: McCarthy, Andrews, Green, Gibson, McClean, Pilkington, Hollohan, Reid, Brady, McGeady, Fahey, Hendrick, Quinn, Meyler, Wilson

Str: Keane, Long, Walters, Cox, Sammon, Doyle, Keogh.

It's difficult with that cricket team bleeding all the resources.

:D But in terms of success we can get further in those minority sports (if i can call them that) like cricket.

Maybe we will get a new manager who will really get results and find some new talent coming through but if you take Germany with a population of something like 80million and football is their national sport we kinda have our hands tied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I really hope they try to get Martin O'Neill and he is willing to take the job. Not only because he'll be an excellent appointment, but also because of the reaction that there will be from certain quarters on this site:pac:.

I reckon he'll be a popular appointment with most Irish supporters, despite his surprisingly vocal detractors on here, and he'd do a great job. Get O'Neill, he's the man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

RoryMac wrote: »

But in fairness we must lose a lot of talent to GAA

EdenHazard wrote: »
    So because England and Ireland are ****, the whole international football world is going to collapse?

The international game is struggling. As the clubs get richer and richer they are placing greater demands on the scheduling of games and player availability. The players are getting paid way too much anyway and many of them don't care about lining out for national teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When is his contract technically up?

No point in sacking him, will take ages for FAI to lineup replacement and we'd have to pay.

Plus a caretaker isn't going to do a better job in the last few games.

Time for the FAI to earn their money.

• Advertisement

:DBut in terms of success we can get further in those minority sports (if i can call them that) like cricket.

Maybe we will get a new manager who will really get results and find some new talent coming through but if you take Germany with a population of something like 80million and football is their national sport we kinda have our hands tied.

Due to lack of competition. Not because we are particularly good. Besides success is relative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ok this team does not have a superstar. It doesn't have a Keane or Duff of past or an Alaba or Ibrahimovic. But what it does have is a squad full of very solid players. People keep defending Trap saying he doesn't have the players but it's nonsense really. We have a squad that should be performing better than we are. The fact Trap won't alter his tactics to fit players in doesn't help.

The failure to move away from 4-4-2 is just mind boggling. Our weakest area is our cm options. How we have not lined up with three in the center is beyond me. The team below i think would have had a good chance of getting the better of Sweeden and Austria.

Forde

Coleman O Brien Dunne O Shea

Whelan Wilson McCarthy

Brady McClean

Keane

Looking at the options below we have a pretty decent pool of players to choose from. It's a shame we don't use the squad as we could.

GK: Westwood, Forde, Hernderson.

Def: Coleman, Kelly, Wilson, O Shea, St Ledger, Dunne, O Brien, Clark, Cunningham, O Dea, McShane, Delaney, Pearce

Mid: McCarthy, Andrews, Green, Gibson, McClean, Pilkington, Hollohan, Reid, Brady, McGeady, Fahey, Hendrick, Quinn, Meyler, Wilson

Str: Keane, Long, Walters, Cox, Sammon, Doyle, Keogh.

O'Shea isn't a fullback anymore. He seriously can't play there. Also Keane can't play on his own and Whelan is useless playing CM with others for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

The Irish lads Do care about playing for their country. They might not be good enough but from my experience Irish people are very proud to play for their country. Stephen Ireland excluded of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

So, Trapattoni selects Green and he gets Man Of The Match. Should be heralded as a brilliant selection, no?

I mean, McCarthy played vs Sweden only because of injury and won Man Of The Match. Trapattoni then got criticised for that.

So by picking a player who most wouldn't have selected, he should be praised? No?

Meh. Hope he stays until the end of the contract. We don't need Don Givens or anyone else stepping in as some caretaker-manager.

Even our "better players" like Coleman and Wilson were caught out in possession tonight, that's not Trap's fault and he can't turn O'Shea into possession-loving Nesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Most of our national team play at a very high level in the biggest sport in the world, we do very well for a country of our size.

The ability, commitment and professionalism required to get to that level of the biggest sport in the world far outweighs what is required for GAA & rugby imo.

Our own league is stronger than most give credit to as well, there is room for improvement but it's far from being a minor sport although it may be portrayed as that by some

Stevecw wrote: »
    800,00 to pay Trap off...well worth it. Home game v Kazakhstan will be full if new boss is there!!

If right was right though we shouldn't have to pay him that much as his contract would end the day after the final game. If he is on €1.2m per annum though and is only 1 year into his contract then this would mean he has still has a salary for the remainder of this year plus 6 months of next year to collect...An absurd situation.

Alot of back scratching going on and as usual the best interests of Irish football are in no way looked after. Interests which after all, they are paid huge money to serve,

Paully D wrote: »
    You won't find many bigger defenders of Trap on here than me, but it is time for a change. Things have gone too stale.

Nothing against him, no abuse etc, he tried his very best for 5 years, took us to a World Cup playoff as we held our own before being robbed against France and then took us to Euro 2012. This World Cup qualifying campaign has been poor but I always felt Sweden would grab that second spot.

Good luck to him in the future, he's served his time 5 times over in terms of the management so I hope he will take a deserved break from the game now.

The biggest hurdle will be avoiding the appointment of Martin O'Neill as manager. He's free and cheap so will appeal to the FAI, and his work ethic during his time at Sunderland would fit in well with the international football calendar so he may well be interested. However, if the FAI appoint him then they deserve everything they get, and it won't be good.

They need to be ambitious, stump up the cash and get a proper manager. If the money is right, said manager will come, as has been proven by football associations all over the world time and time again.

Who would you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Appointing a new boss by next month is crazy talk ppl!

The FAI have to take their time with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who would you suggest?

Del Bosque.

He's only on €50k a year.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Del Bosque.

He's only on €50k a year.

Yeah.

Dunphy. You gotta hand it to him. He is anglo like in his ability to pull figures out of his arse.

Advertisement