Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Tweet from FAI
    FAI ‏@FAIreland 6m
    FAI press statement on board of management to consider stance after recent results:

The link they supplied wont load for me, I suppose everyones on the FAI site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

noodler wrote: »
    Appointing a new boss by next month is crazy talk ppl!

The FAI have to take their time with this.

C'mon. You actually think tomorrow will be the first day they pull up a note pad and make a list of contenders?

Given how the whole Trap scenario has been unfolding, I'm sure there's been plenty happening behind the scenes...for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

FAI to follow in populist stampede, shocker.

We're actually gonna be stuck with some "world-class manager" like Martin O'Neill.

I have a bad feeling for the Irish football team in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think any big name managers would be interested in this poison chalice, but a middle of the road manager might be tempted just for the hell of it, knowing they probably won't succeed.

Chris Houghton's worth a punt at 16/1 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Tweet from FAI

The link they supplied wont load for me, I suppose everyones on the FAI site!
    According to rte's twitter the statement says the FAI are disappointed with the results and are reviewing the situation. The post match press conference has been cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    C'mon. You actually think tomorrow will be the first day they pull up a note pad and make a list of contenders?

Given how the whole Trap scenario has been unfolding, I'm sure there's been plenty happening behind the scenes...for a while now.

How many people did the FAI interview for Trap's post?

How long did the selection process take?

Before Friday, a play-off was a REAL possibility.

Putting someone in place just to fill seats for Kazakstan is madness. Trap is best placed to see out this campaign and it will probably save us a severence fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The players are getting paid way too much anyway and many of them don't care about lining out for national teams.

We have suspicions about the attitude of some UK (mainly English) players.

Who else doesn't care about lining out for the national team?
    The Germans and Scandanavians seem to be happy to play until they are 35 and are dragged away screaming, Italians seem to go on a bit longer if thats possible.
    Spain have had effectively the same squad for 8 years and none of them seem to be giving up.
    The core group of top class Portuguese never seem to miss a game, friendly or otherwise.
    The East Europeans, especially the new countries, seem incredibly proud to represent their nations.

South Americans? the mere thought of a Brazilian, Columbian or an Argentinian not accepting a call up is almost entirely laughable, though they are prone to having fights with the coaches and being dumped I suppose.

USA - those who play in europe seem to travel for every qualifier, though aren't called up for most friendlies.
    etc etc.

I think you are transposing a British problem to be a world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

‘The recent results against Sweden and Austria were very disappointing for everyone involved in Irish football, the manager, the players and supporters.

Our aim of qualification, although mathematically possible, is now highly unlikely even though the team will always do everything within their power to keep that hope alive. The FAI Board of Management will now consider the current position over the coming days.

The post-match press conference which was due to take place this afternoon in Dublin has been cancelled.’

FAI Statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Aenaes wrote: »

We're actually gonna be stuck with some "world-class manager" like Martin O'Neill.

The dream team Ronnie Whelan and George Hamilton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

It's populist on these pages to be anti MON if anything. Hopefully the FAI will make a wise choice and offer him the position. He'll be a huge success in the role in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Given how broke the FAI are and Trap's contract runs into the middle of 2014 (according to folks on here) then it would make no financial sense to sack him. On the other hand if he stays on there will be no fans at any of the friendly games or even the home games against the weaker sides.
    I can't see the FAI going after any manager under contract.
    Given Delaney's pragtism I wouldn't be surprised if Roy Keane was approached. He would sell tickets for sure whatever about his ability to manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think any big name managers would be interested in this poison chalice, but a middle of the road manager might be tempted just for the hell of it, knowing they probably won't succeed.

Chris Houghton's worth a punt at 16/1 imho.

Why?

Why would he leave a job in the Premier League to manage Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lennonist wrote: »
    It's populist on these pages to be anti MON if anything. Hopefully the FAI will make a wise choice and offer him the position. He'll be a huge success in the role in my view.

Based on what?

Sunderland and Aston Villa?

Winning a two team league in Scotland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kryogen wrote: »
    Why?

Why would he leave a job in the Premier League to manage Ireland?

To make sure Hoolahan got a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Martin O Neill is a step sideways.

Not a step forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hughton hasn't been consistently playing Hoolahan this season. In fact, I don't know if he's started at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

No manager currently employed would consider taking the Ireland job. Especially a manager in the Premier League, unless they went out of work by the time we change heads.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Based on what?

You're forgetting Wycombe, Leicester and his exploits in Europe. His record speaks for itself. He's the outstanding candidate for the job, no question about it.

I'm only talking to you because the Second Captains programme is a snoozefest. They're much better on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It can't get much worse can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

You're forgetting Wycombe, Leicester and his exploits in Europe. His record speaks for itself. He's the outstanding candidate for the job, no question about it.

I'm only talking to you because the Second Captains programme is a snoozefest. They're much better on the radio.

True, Murph looks like Dunphys love child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Traps record doesnt only trump his, it pisses on it!

His post Seville years at Celtic, Villa & Sunderland managerial record shows that he's an outstanding candidate if the the bar is being set low.

Ireland can get better than Martin O'Neill

This forum is hardly populist. I was talking about the general public which the media write-ups and bookmakers' favourite lists echo.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    It can't get much worse can it?

I guess we'll see. But two highly competitive campaigns where we reached consecutive play-offs and a third which came down to the last 4 games (or 2 games, depending on where you stand) is hardly damning no matter what style of football is played.

My biggest fear is we'll be looking back on this era with fondness in 2016-2020.
    I really don't trust the FAI to make a good decision.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Based on what?

O'Neill has a history of improving average players and building teams of average players into teams that punch above their weight.

His downfall has always been the transfer market. For 2 campaigns I think he is as good as we can get at this stage, we are not imo going to attract a better manager at this point.

The posters talking about looking at EPL managers are off their heads, no one will leave a job like that for this job.

Dempsey wrote: »

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

RoryMac wrote: »
    Most of our national team play at a very high level in the biggest sport in the world, we do very well for a country of our size.

The ability, commitment and professionalism required to get to that level of the biggest sport in the world far outweighs what is required for GAA & rugby imo.

Our own league is stronger than most give credit to as well, there is room for improvement but it's far from being a minor sport although it may be portrayed as that by some

To be fair, it is an achievement to play in the Premier League as a soccer player , even the Championship is making it. Any of us would be delighted to realise the dream and play at that sort of level.

However, when you step back, we only really have 3 players at a top 10 type club - Coleman, McCarthy and Long. And i'm not so sure West Brom can repeat the trick.

If you go back even a decade and base it off the final Premier League table of the 2002/2003 season we had 12 players at top 10 clubs:

Keane
    O' Shea
    Carr
    Duff
    Robbie Keane
    Given
    O' Brien
    Dunne
    Doherty
    Finnan
    Carsley
    Reid

And a further 4 slightly below mid-table

Holland
    Morrison
    Harte
    Cunningham

Basically the point is nothing new and has been done to death BUT even our successful players currently are not getting into many of the top sides.

If you went back a further decade before that then nearly all of our first 11 were with top clubs.

We don't have the talent anymore and that's a simple conclusion to reach. The question then becomes did Trap maximise what we do have? And overall you'd have to say the answer is not quite.

Traps record doesnt only trump his, it pisses on it!

His post Seville years at Celtic, Villa & Sunderland managerial record shows that he's an outstanding candidate if the the bar is being set low.

O'Neill knows the players Ireland have at their disposal, speaks the language, will still have the energy and enthusiasm to motivate them. He's 61, a shot at international management might suit him.

You're attempt to conflate Trap with O'Neill doesn't stand up.

Who?

Hiddink is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Our days watching Manuela are numbered

Another reason to go for Zeman would be keeping Manuela, hopefully he doesn't speak english.

It does, both their major successes happened at least a decade ago

• Advertisement

Hiddink is better

Denis O'Brien will pass out if he reads that!

Not a hope of attracting him imo even though I agree he would be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Augmerson wrote: »
    No manager currently employed would consider taking the Ireland job. Especially a manager in the Premier League, unless they went out of work by the time we change heads.

Moyes might be free so

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

This forum is hardly populist. I was talking about the general public which the media write-ups and bookmakers' favourite lists echo.

In every forum, or workplace, or community etc. a herd mentality can often emerge. There seems to be a bit of a herd mentality about MON on this forum. It wont colour my view, I know how good a manager he is.

He will be a popular choice with the general Irish soccer public if he's offered the job and rightly so. We'll be lucky to get him.

Denis O'Brien will pass out if he reads that!

Not a hope of attracting him imo even though I agree he would be better

Why not? He's a man that took on S.Korea & Australia and not for a kings random.

There are better options, they dont have to be high a profile as Hiddink but there are better options and not just pulling an idle guy out of the EPL merry go round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

aindriu80 wrote: »
    soccer is a minor sport in this country if you consider the GAA and rugby. We have a better chance at the cricket than soccer.

I'm calling bull**** on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

In terms of youth football and youth development, what I never ever understood was why we as kids, and I assume children still do move up to full-size pitches around the age of 12-13. 11 a side, full-size pitches?

Just seems mad to me. In argentina and brazil they keep the space small as long as possible, kids can actually get good at... playing football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Frank Rijkaard?

It does, both their major successes happened at least a decade ago

It doesn't. Were you watching RTE tonight when they showed the Marc Wilson interview and spoke about Shay Given talking about communications issues with Trap? I'm talking about O'Neill's credentials, discuss his credentials. O'Neill's credentials has nothing to do with Trap.

I think you've been infected by the herd mentality that appears to pervade on these pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Martin O'Neill is ok, but with him at the helm Ireland won't see the finals of a major tournament until the 2030s. They need to splash out the cash and get someone of the caliber of van Marwijk or Hiddink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

O'Neill got Celtic to punch above their weight in Europe and his players would have run through walls for him. Would the the right man for the job imo.

In every forum, or workplace, or community etc. a herd mentality can often emerge. There seems to be a bit of a herd mentality about MON on this forum. It wont colour my view, I know how good a manager he is.

He will be a popular choice with the general Irish soccer public if he's offered the job and rightly so. We'll be lucky to get him.

Lucky? He's out of work and the Ireland would be ideal for him. Can't say there's too many top-flight clubs looking to him as their next big hope.

Fail and he can blame the limited players.

Do well and the English press will say how he performed miracles before he moves onto a Premiership job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

personally I'd go with Bert van Marwijk over Hiddink as I don't think Hiddink is realistic. Other options for me would be Dalglish, O'Neill, O'Leary and Hoddle.

I highly doubt Dalglish would take the job though but a wealth of experience, knowledge and is a born winner. He certainly wouldn't take crap from the media with their stupid questions

Hoddle was probably the best manager England had in a long time and would be the ideal spearhead that would take an interest in what goes on below the first team.

O'Neill has a certain style that will get players playing for him but he's limited in what styles he can go for.

O'Leary has a good record at Leeds and Villa although out of management since 2006 is a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If there is a salary of 1 to 1.5 million per annum I think there are plenty of good coaches who will work for that. It will require O'Briens help again and that's something he mighn't be willing to do again.
    International managers are paid considerably less than club managers and Trap is on the higher end of the scale.

It doesn't. Were you watching RTE tonight when they showed the Marc Wilson interview and spoke about Shay Given talking about communications issues with Trap? I'm talking about O'Neill's credentials, discuss his credentials. O'Neill's credentials has nothing to do with Trap.

I think you've been infected by the herd mentality that appears to pervade on these pages.

Herd Mentality? Certainly not, I reject that notion completely.

Lets discuss his credentials indeed! When they happened & the situations clubs found themselves in when he left/quit/sacked. Its not a positive

Talking about his credentials at Wycombe & Leicester are not important when we are discussing the replacement for one of the worlds most successful managers

The players are getting paid way too much anyway and many of them don't care about lining out for national teams.

I'd say for a lot of players, playing for their national team is huge. I dont want to generalise but I'm sure if we had more born and bread players in the national team (who had the same skill of the players we take in from Britain) that we'd be better team. Most Irish people have a huge sense of patriotism in them. It's really all about grass roots if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

O'Neill would be too expensive. O'Leary is a little mad. Hoddle is mad. Dalglish wouldn't want it, wouldn't be a disaster though. Van Marwijk and Hiddink are probably unrealistic as they would care about their future careers.
    Zeman for me, perfect antidote to trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Would prefer an Irish manager. Although O'Neill's tactics with Sunderland were similar to Ireland's at the moment, I believe he is the right man for the job because he can inspire belief in the right group of players and I believe he is capable of changing the way we play

I wouldnt let Dalglish walk my dog, in what universe is he suitable for the ireland job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

O'Neill knows the players Ireland have at their disposal, speaks the language, will still have the energy and enthusiasm to motivate them. He's 61, a shot at international management might suit him.

O'Neill does not have the energy and enthusiasm to motivate himself, let alone anyone else. The man barely turned up for work at Sunderland. The players were allowed to get away with murder under his stewardship.

He's shot, he's finished, he's a busted flush. But hey, he jumps up and down on the sideline the odd time so he will steel reel a few in.

He's doesn't deserve another job.

noodler wrote: »
    When is his contract technically up?

No point in sacking him, will take ages for FAI to lineup replacement and we'd have to pay.

Plus a caretaker isn't going to do a better job in the last few games.

Time for the FAI to earn their money.

Isn't it Denis O'Brien that pays most of his wages, he's enough dough tbh..

FAI earn their money? They are a fúckin' laughing stock, Delaney pictured with my mates over in Poland having a ball prob getting everything paid for him.. Does he care, did he allegedly get into the FAI because his dad was already in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

O'Neill would be too expensive. O'Leary is a little mad. Hoddle is mad. Dalglish wouldn't want it, wouldn't be a disaster though. Van Marwijk and Hiddink are probably unrealistic as they would care about their future careers.
    Zeman for me, perfect antidote to trap.
    Zeman?? and you call O'Leary and Hoddle mad haha

I think Hoddle is being overlooked by everyone and is the type of manager that will build upwards from youth levels. I do think he would be ideal in many ways

With our team being relatively young it would suit O'Leary down to the ground, "baby chickens crossing the road" or something like that he used to say at Leeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement