Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Green starting what a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This obsession with being away from home, so we will do well to draw or can't be too attacking from some managers/fans I don't get at all.

I see some saying so Whelan is out, so have to have someone like Green there cos we are away.

What difference does it make whether we are in Dublin or Vienna, neither are mad intimidating places to play.
    This game is a must win, to have even the slightest hope of coming 2nd. A draw/loss is the end for sure.
    So why not just pick a team to go at Austria. A mf 4 of McClean, McCarthy, Hoolahan, Brady with Robbie & Long/Walters up front. Or even go 4-3-3, surprise Austria and even more so us!
    Go at them, play a bit of football for a change. Have a go for once.

But no, can see at best a 0-0 draw tomorrow, after Cox comes on as 1st sub & Trap hangs around like a bad old smell till next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Stevecw wrote: »
    This obsession with being away from home, so we will do well to draw or can't be too attacking from some managers/fans I don't get at all.

I see some saying so Whelan is out, so have to have someone like Green there cos we are away.

What difference does it make whether we are in Dublin or Vienna, neither are mad intimidating places to play.
    This game is a must win, to have even the slightest hope of coming 2nd. A draw/loss is the end for sure.
    So why not just pick a team to go at Austria. A mf 4 of McClean, McCarthy, Hoolahan, Brady with Robbie & Long/Walters up front. Or even go 4-3-3, surprise Austria and even more so us!
    Go at them, play a bit of football for a change. Have a go for once.

But no, can see at best a 0-0 draw tomorrow, after Cox comes on as 1st sub & Trap hangs around like a bad old smell till next month.

Clearly playing at home is a major advantage. It seems you just cant appreciate this.

The 4 across the middle you suggested is way too attack minded. Its one thing going for the win and its another being naive in selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I hate McClean as a player. Completely braindead. I'd have Pilkington over him any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Considering our record away, I can see us getting a point from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    I hate McClean as a player. Completely braindead.

Agreed. I cringed as he had a little smile on his face after hitting the crossbar on Friday. He looked like he was thinking "damn, that was close!", but I was thinking "well done on hitting a cross on the run without even looking up once or getting the ball within 8 yards of an Irish player".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

roanoke wrote: »
    Agreed. I cringed as he had a little smile on his face after hitting the crossbar on Friday. He looked like he was thinking "damn, that was close!", but I was thinking "well done on hitting a cross on the run without even looking up once or getting the ball within 8 yards of an Irish player".

headless chicken and not the only one. Very few composed players to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

When the cross isn't on and Wilson was free behind him, he decided to try cross the ball through a Swedish player a couple times. And a free-kick outside the box that was in a good position for a right-footed player to have a shot, James decides he fancies it and straight into the centre of the wall she goes. Infuriating.

Pilkington looked like a knob with that hair and beard but I'm happy he's in instead of McClean. I'd probably rather Brady to either but don't think there's much between him and Pilkington at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Clearly playing at home is a major advantage. It seems you just cant appreciate this.

Like it was on Friday night?

• Advertisement

Like it was on Friday night?

If they'd have played like that in Sweden it would have been worse. The advantage doesnt guarantee a win, just gives you an edge over the opponent. Thought that would be obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The 4 across the middle you suggested is way too attack minded. Its one thing going for the win and its another being naive in selection.

Playing at home is an advantage for most teams, but unfortunately not for us under this manager. When the onus is on us to come out and dictate proceedings and take the game to the opposition, we can't do it....or he won't allow the players to do it.
    Sadly the days of fortress Lansdowne are a distant memory! Friday night was an obvious example of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

FAI/Delaney wouldn't touch Keane with a barge poll.

It's not often I agree with the FAI or Delaney but they are right about not touching Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Darren Gibson has turned his back on representing his country and is unavailable for selection.

In fairness Gibson turned his back on playing for this manager, not his country. I don't blame him for sharing the despair which most of us feel.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Playing at home is an advantage for most teams, but unfortunately not for us under this manager. When the onus is on us to come out and dictate proceedings and take the game to the opposition, we can't do it....or he won't allow the players to do it.
    Sadly the days of fortress Lansdowne are a distant memory! Friday night was an obvious example of that

Ireland still definitely have an advantage when playing at home under Trap. Its quite bizarre that anyone would think otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

ambid wrote: »
    In fairness Gibson turned his back on playing for this manager, not his country. I don't blame him for sharing the despair which most of us feel.

Say Gibson would be back and be involved in next 2 games under a new boss. Hanging onto Trap any longer is just stupid. Get Gibson back, possibly Andy Reid, give Stokes a go....just get the public back on side. Sack the old fool after 2mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

How can people stick up for him for picking Paul Green for **** sake.
    I can't wait for him to **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Ireland still definitely have an advantage when playing at home under Trap. Its quite bizarre that anyone would think otherwise

How is playing at home an advantage under Trap when in 14 completed pairs of home+away matches to date under Trap we haven't even once produced a better result at home than we did away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How is playing at home an advantage under Trap when in 14 completed pairs of home+away matches to date under Trap we haven't even once produced a better result at home than we did away?

These facts are just bizarre I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

This advantage hasn't manifested itself in any form over his tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ambid wrote: »

You make yourself unavailable for your country because of a personal gripe you lack national pride. Gibson lacks character and I hope he never wears a green shirt again. He doesn't deserve the honour.

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    Say Gibson would be back and be involved in next 2 games under a new boss. Hanging onto Trap any longer is just stupid. Get Gibson back, possibly Andy Reid, give Stokes a go....just get the public back on side. Sack the old fool after 2mo

Whether the public is on side or not doesn't matter. The manager is bigger than the details of squad selection. The next manager in may not select certain favourites. And so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I don't think it's bizarre at all and if you check our qualifying record the figures don't lie. Only 4 of our 11 points in this group to date were earned at home.

In Euro 2012 group qualifying, only 10 of our 21 points were earned at home.
    And furthermore, we fared much better in the away leg of the Estonia play off which we won 4-0.

Our worst beatings and performances in recent qualifying groups have all come at home; last friday against Sweden, the 6-1 thrashing against Germany and the 3-2 defeat against Russia in Euro 2012 qualifying - and that scoreline flattered us big time, the Russians basically stopped playing when they went 3-0 up!

I agree that playing at home should usually be an advantage.
    But not under this manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

You make yourself unavailable for your country because of a personal gripe you lack national pride. Gibson lacks character and I hope he never wears a green shirt again. He doesn't deserve the honour.

Would you say the same things about Roy Keane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think a good manager gets the best out of his available team, but because of Trap we rarely even select our best players. I think the failing is with Trap.

As for Gibson's character - he's played for two of the most demanding managers in football (Ferguson and Moyes) who have come to know him very well, and neither of them have found any problems with his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Actually looking forward to the match purely because I won't even be angry if we concede a goal or two.

Also I'm hoping the players really just let go of Traps ****e tactics and play some entertaining football. Nothing to lose really

nuxxx wrote: »

Keane was wrong to do what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Paul Green?!

PAehNlM.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

briany wrote: »
    Paul Green?!

PAehNlM.png

It's like Trapp wants to lose!

pZaUjNK.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

iDave wrote: »
    I was actually starting to get a teeeeny bit hopeful until I came to the 6 points sentence :(

18 points and finishing 2nd will almost certainly 100% be good enough for a play-off spot. There's no way on earth all 3 of the runner-up sides in Groups B, D and E will get more than 18 points and particularly B and D have 6 points to come off Andorra and Malta.

Getting 2nd and 18 points - different matter entirely!!

No point looking too far ahead. Try beat Austria and see where it's at.

We all know it's likely we'll need to get a win in Germany, even if we win tomorrow night.

If somehow the following happens tomorrow:

We win
    Sweden draw

Then Germany will be qualified automatically tomorrow night. In which case we have a glimmer of hope. Maybe they will pick the under-14 side to tog out against us! Which gives us about a 50-50 chance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

gives us less than that if they have a hand full of tall players knocking about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

nuxxx wrote: »

That's an apples and pears comparison.

Roy turned out for Ireland 67 times over 15 years and was an absolute warrior and legend on the pitch. That campaign we went undefeated including home and away to Holland and Portugal, he was sublime.

Saipan happened a full 11 years after his debut.

Gibson made his debut in 2007, has had an average club career, done nothing of distinction in an Irish shirt and is refusing to serve his country unless he's picked and starts. That's the implication here. He is saying "shove your call up, you didnt play me in the Euros". So he's effectively saying i either play or shove it.

Gibson is not the manager and he doesnt get to call the shots.

Roys 11 years of service, dedication and brilliance for the Irish cause AND the fact he was captain, gave him the right to raise the issues he raised in Saipan. It absolutely got out of control and him walking away was a mistake i'm sure he regrets.

What he didn't do is throw his toys out the pram for not being picked. Chalk and cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Then Germany will be qualified automatically tomorrow night. In which case we have a glimmer of hope. Maybe they will pick the under-14 side to tog out against us! Which gives us about a 50-50 chance :)

Only problem with that is Germany will also be qualified when they play Sweden on the final match day. I would hope Germany punish them for that 4-4 draw in Berlin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Concerning results & our possible qualification.

The one thing we have in our favour if we somehow manage to get a win in Vienna tonight is that Sweden make very hard work of beating the lesser teams in the group. If you look at their matches against Kazakhstan & Faroe Islands they have been unconvincing in all three of these. They went 1-0 down to the Faroe's in the second half only to come back and beat them 2-1 with a few minutes to go. Also they only managed to scrap past Kazakhstan at home by leading them 1-0 throughout the entirety of the match & then scoring a lucky goal four minutes into injury time. Not convincing in the slightest.

Win tonight, draw against Germany & beat the kazaks at home & we have a chance.

Sweden have to play the Kazaks away after they drew with Austria there & should have got a result against us. After that they have to play Austria & Germany at home.

Its a long shot but it's definitely not over yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

That's an apples and pears comparison.

Roy turned out for Ireland 67 times over 15 years and was an absolute warrior and legend on the pitch. That campaign we went undefeated including home and away to Holland and Portugal, he was sublime.

Saipan happened a full 11 years after his debut.

Gibson made his debut in 2007, has had an average club career, done nothing of distinction in an Irish shirt and is refusing to serve his country unless he's picked and starts. That's the implication here. He is saying "shove your call up, you didnt play me in the Euros". So he's effectively saying i either play or shove it.

Gibson is not the manager and he doesnt get to call the shots.

Roys 11 years of service, dedication and brilliance for the Irish cause AND the fact he was captain, gave him the right to raise the issues he raised in Saipan. It absolutely got out of control and him walking away was a mistake i'm sure he regrets.

What he didn't do is throw his toys out the pram for not being picked. Chalk and cheese.

Theirs a big difference between the two though, it's not really fair to compare.

Gibson is in a much different squad to Roy, different manager with much different tactics and lets face it Roy was 10 times the player Gibson every will be.

Darren performs excellent for Everton in the premiership for the last two years of Moyes reign he was one of the first players on the team sheet. To go into a squad and sit on the bench when you are playing well week in week out must be very frustrating. Especially when you are playing at such a very high standard such as the premiership and when we are playing so poorly. Everyone but Trappatoni knows his tactics are not working, experienced players in high standard leagues are going to get frustrated quickly by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kfallon wrote: »
    No - Trap is worried he might do something off the cuff or creative so he's been dropped, too risky to pick him...... :rolleyes:

In fairness, there is feck all chance of that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Concerning results & our possible qualification.

The one thing we have in our favour if we somehow manage to get a win in Vienna tonight is that Sweden make very hard work of beating the lesser teams in the group. If you look at their matches against Kazakhstan & Faroe Islands they have been unconvincing in all three of these. They went 1-0 down to the Faroe's in the second half only to come back and beat them 2-1 with a few minutes to go. Also they only managed to scrap past Kazakhstan at home by leading them 1-0 throughout the entirety of the match & then scoring a lucky goal four minutes into injury time. Not convincing in the slightest.

Win tonight, draw against Germany & beat the kazaks at home & we have a chance.

Sweden have to play the Kazaks away after they drew with Austria there & should have got a result against us. After that they have to play Austria & Germany at home.

Its a long shot but it's definitely not over yet.

A point at the very least on Friday would have helped but I think theres way to many ifs and buts for us to grab 2nd in this group at this stage.

Theres a chance, dont get me wrong but its very,very small and asking this team after the result on Friday to beat Austria will be a huge task, that last minute Alaba goal is looking more and more like a huge hammer blow to our chances.

Anybody know of any current international players with more goals then Robbie Keane?

Klose must be up there or there abouts I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Klose is Euro top 5 of all time, as is Keane.

they had the stat for European players on Football Weekly this week.

the others are Puskas, Kocsis and Gerd Muller.

in terms of globally, i don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get beat tonight

4th seeds for Euro 2016

Martin O Neill comes in

Future ain't bright.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Klose is Euro top 5 of all time, as is Keane.

they had the stat for European players on Football Weekly this week.

the others are Puskas, Kocsis and Gerd Muller.

in terms of globally, i don't know.

Mullers was something like 66 in 60 games or something crazy like that.

I'm just trying to think of current players with more goals then Keane, Villa, Drogba, Eto'o must all be close to his record.

I'll have to get on to Google to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Klose is pushing 70 goals I believe. Villa might be ahead of him too but I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Didn't realise Sweden's game will be all wrapped up by time we walk onto the pitch in Vienna.

Could make for added spice...or a dead rubber.

Current internationals.

Klose - 68
    Drogba - 62
    Keane - 60
    Villa / Donovan - 56
    Eto'o - 55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sweden will win.

Anything less will be a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Get beat tonight

4th seeds for Euro 2016

Martin O Neill comes in

Future ain't bright.

The thought of Martin O'Neill coming in is horrifying tbh, a really average manager with a poor track record. A short term hype machine.

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Didn't realise Sweden's game will be all wrapped up by time we walk onto the pitch in Vienna.

Could make for added spice...or a dead rubber.

I'll be streaming that game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

TheDoc wrote: »
    The thought of Martin O'Neill coming in is horrifying tbh, a really average manager with a poor track record. A short term hype machine.

:confused:

Tbh I would only want O'Neill if he can get John Robertson to come with him, he's not been the same manager since he lost JR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Green starts and we expect to get 3 points in Austria?

haha..

hahahahaha..

hahahahahahahahaha..

as a leeds fan, green always gives 100pc for us especially last season, cant' ask for much more tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

as a leeds fan, green always gives 100pc for us especially last season, cant' ask for much more tbh

Yes you can, you can ask for some quality!

I could go out and give 100% tonight but it wouldn't be enough, would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats David O'Leary been up to over the past few years??

• Advertisement
Advertisement