Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

we need a young manager with belief in players, someone along the lines of Lambert or rodgers for liverpool, people with footballing ideas and belief in their teams, Lambert stuck with youth at villa and its now paying off, rodgers took a team and developed them, we need someone like this.

**** o neill, hes terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Dempsey wrote: »
    I wouldnt let Dalglish walk my dog, in what universe is he suitable for the ireland job?
    I think his playing career and four league titles as manager makes him more than suitable. He galvanised Liverpool and got them back up and playing after the mess Hodgson had them in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hannibal wrote: »
    Zeman?? and you call O'Leary and Hoddle mad haha

I think Hoddle is being overlooked by everyone and is the type of manager that will build upwards from youth levels. I do think he would be ideal in many ways

With our team being relatively young it would suit O'Leary down to the ground, "baby chickens crossing the road" or something like that he used to say at Leeds.

OLeary would be a shocking appointment. Hoodle no better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think that whoever we get in as the next manager needs to care about the long term plan for football in this country, something which Trap certainly did not. I don't think we currently have many great players coming through, but regardless we should be able to qualify for a 24 team euros in 2016 provided the new coach is in any way decent. World cups will be a different story though, with the players we have available it will be very tough to qualify for the WC in 2018, I think we need to realise this as fans and be patient with the new manager - provided he has the best interests in Irish football long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like the writing is on the wall but some of these names being mentioned are way too unrealistic. I'm just waiting for the inevitable bullsh*t rumour about SAF's alleged interest.

The fact is there are very few people outside of these islands who view this as a good job.

I actually think Steve McClaren could be tempted by it. He's got a short-term contract with QPR for a few months and may desire a return to international management when it runs out. His downsides would be his up and down club career and his tenure with England; his positives would involve his coaching history (and I think Ireland need a coach that can oversee all levels) and his success with Twente.

I don't know who I would like to succeed Trap but it should be someone who will look at the entire structure of coaching from the top to grassroots, and who will be given time to implement a philosophy. I have big doubts on an appointment like this being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think his playing career and four league titles as manager makes him more than suitable. He galvanised Liverpool and got them back up and playing after the mess Hodgson had them in

He did a terrible job at Liverpool , Rogers is only starting to get them back on track a bit now. He did no better than Hodgson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Herd Mentality? Certainly not, I reject that notion completely.

Lets discuss his credentials indeed! When they happened & the situations clubs found themselves in when he left/quit/sacked. Its not a positive

Talking about his credentials at Wycombe & Leicester are not important when we are discussing the replacement for one of the worlds most successful managers

He wont be buying and selling players if he got the Ireland job, so his transfer record doesn't come into the discussion if that's what you're talking about.

He has proven abilities of getting a team to punch above it's weight. That more than anything makes him a leading candidate for the Ireland job above all other international jobs going. If he's interested and is up for it, he's the right choice for the Ireland job in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I actually think Steve McClaren could be tempted by it. He's got a short-term contract with QPR for a few months and may desire a return to international management when it runs out. His downsides would be his up and down club career and his tenure with England; his positives would involve his coaching history (and I think Ireland need a coach that can oversee all levels) and his success with Twente.
    McClaren would be worth a shout for the same reasons I thought of Glenn Hoddle. Dick Advocaat is another that's not mentioned anywhere.

The FAI will wheel out the usual suspects like Philippe Troussier, Paul Jewell and Henri Michel no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

To be fair, it is an achievement to play in the Premier League as a soccer player , even the Championship is making it. Any of us would be delighted to realise the dream and play at that sort of level.

If you go back even a decade and base it off the final Premier League table of the 2002/2003 season we had 12 players at top 10 clubs:

Basically the point is nothing new and has been done to death BUT even our successful players currently are not getting into many of the top sides.

If you went back a further decade before that then nearly all of our first 11 were with top clubs.

There are more "foreigners" in the Premier League now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Looks like the writing is on the wall but some of these names being mentioned are way too unrealistic. I'm just waiting for the inevitable bullsh*t rumour about SAF's alleged interest.

While you are no doubt correct, couldn't one have said that before Trap was hired?

You've got to try. The worst these guys can do is say no.

In terms of youth football and youth development, what I never ever understood was why we as kids, and I assume children still do move up to full-size pitches around the age of 12-13. 11 a side, full-size pitches?

Just seems mad to me. In argentina and brazil they keep the space small as long as possible, kids can actually get good at... playing football.

Aye, it's hilarious, play 7-a-side on small pitches then instantly move to full-sized pitches with 11-a-side and offside. When a team doesn't have the ball they should push up and have the defence camp on the halfway line. Contributes nicely to the early-puberty lads dominating without skill being as important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lennonist wrote: »
    He wont be buying and selling players if he got the Ireland job, so his transfer record doesn't come into the discussion if that's what you're talking about.

He has proven abilities of getting a team to punch above it's weight. That more than anything makes him a leading candidate for the Ireland job above all other international jobs going. If he's interested and is up for it, he's the right choice for the Ireland job in my view.

So the biggest component of his success doesnt come into it. Glad you agree

Ignoring the failure at Sunderland, ignoring that component undermines his success at Villa & Celtic, no?

You are promoting a manager on success that happened along time ago, why is he better than Trapattoni??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

G.K. wrote: »
    While you are no doubt correct, couldn't one have said that before Trap was hired?

You've got to try. The worst these guys can do is say no.

Well that's true. There's no harm in shooting for the stars. I do, however, fear a repeat of what happened following Staunton's dismissal. If you remember the media had essentially decided the job was for Venables, and this prompted Dunphy's famous intervention on the matter:

I think Dunphy was instrumental in blocking that appointment at the time. There were some terrible names being mentioned at the time. Remember Ron Atkinson being in the running. :pac:

I think without Dunphy's rant, the FAI would have gone with Venables and I believe Irish football would have been worse off for it.

I have a feeling a similar thing will happen and that the media will deem MON the right man, and I see no intervention to stop it. I'm not as hostile as others are to O'Neill and I have defended his record in the past, but I'm not sure he is the right man for this job.

I fear this whole process of finding a successor may be a bit of a shambles and I think fans will be quite disappointed at some of the names that will be in the frame. I just hope Atkinson ain't there this time!

So the biggest component of his success doesnt come into it. Glad you agree

Ignoring the failure at Sunderland, ignoring that component undermines his success at Villa & Celtic, no?

You are promoting a manager on success that happened along time ago, why is he better than Trapattoni??

I don't give a monkeys about Sunderland, what are you on about.

The biggest component of his success is his ability to get his teams to punch above their weight, you should know about that. For a Celtic supporter you're attitude about O'Neill is strange. Are you trying to keep in with a certain cohort around here, or is it the OBE that sticks in your craw?

I don't give a monkeys about Sunderland, what are you on about.

The biggest component of his success is his ability to get his teams to punch above their weight, you should know about that. For a Celtic supporter you're attitude about O'Neill is strange. Are you trying to keep in with a certain cohort around here, or is it the OBE that sticks in your craw?

You demonstrate conflicting ideals. His career is declining if you havent noticed.

I have great, fantastic, memories of Celtic when O'Neill was in charge but my heart doesnt rule my head. As for his OBE, its nothing to do with anything. Its a insult that you think its a factor in a footballing opinion

• Advertisement

Well that's true. There's no harm in shooting for the stars. I do, however, fear a repeat of what happened following Staunton's dismissal. If you remember the media had essentially decided the job was for Venables, and this prompted Dunphy's famous intervention on the matter:

I think Dunphy was instrumental in blocking that appointment at the time. There were some terrible names being mentioned at the time. Remember Ron Atkinson being in the running. :pac:

I think without Dunphy's rant, the FAI would have gone with Venables and I believe Irish football would have been worse off for it.

I have a feeling a similar thing will happen and that the media will deem MON the right man, and I see no intervention to stop it. I'm not as hostile as others are to O'Neill and I have defended his record in the past, but I'm not sure he is the right man for this job.

I fear this whole process of finding a successor may be a bit of a shambles and I think fans will be quite disappointed at some of the names that will be in the frame. I just hope Atkinson ain't there this time!

Whoever they decide on, it shouldn't be a circus and big long drawn out affair. They should have someone in mind, given that they wanted to sack Trap after the German defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Mike Walker.

/runs.

You demonstrate conflicting ideals. His career is declining if you havent noticed.

I have great, fantastic, memories of Celtic when O'Neill was in charge but my heart doesnt rule my head. As for his OBE, its nothing to do with anything. Its a insult that you think its a factor in a footballing opinion

Yeah I know his career is declining, this is an international job. International management jobs are often frequented by experienced men who don't want the cut and thrust and day to day involvement of club management, in case you didn't notice. You're being a little disingenuous in your posts here and I don't get your problem with the possibility of MON as Ireland manager.

Yeah I know his career is declining, this is an international job. International management jobs are often frequented by experienced men who don't want the cut and thrust and day to day involvement of club management, in case you didn't notice. You're being a little disingenuous in your posts here and I don't get your problem with the possibility of MON as Ireland manager.

I'm well aware of the different workloads between a club manager and a national team manager. Fairly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I'm not being disingenuous at all, his style is similar to Traps except for the success and I'm in no doubt that there is a better choice out there that is feasible.

The fact that your arguing with me about replacing a past it manager with a declining one doesnt bode well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

fai.ie wrote:
    FAI Press statement
    September 11, 2013

Football Association of Ireland
    The recent results against Sweden and Austria were very disappointing for everyone involved in Irish football, the manager, the players and supporters. Our aim of qualification, although mathematically possible, is now highly unlikely even though the team will always do everything within their power to keep that hope alive. The FAI Board of Management will now consider the current position over the coming days.
    The post-match press conference which was due to take place this afternoon in Dublin has been cancelled
    ENDS

http://www.fai.ie/international/103515-fai-press-statement.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Always liked MON but the way he acted at Sunderland would suggest his heart isn't in the running of a team anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

FFS, MON made Celtic punch above their weight at a completely different time in European football.

The last thing we need is another rigid 4-4-2 system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The venerable Terry would have been a good move. He was sacked by England for being a bit of a DelBoy. Don't tell me that he was any worse than Don Revie, George Graham etc. If I remember rightly, he was involved in the pub business and inter company borrowings were at the centre of the DTI's investigation. Every government in the world do that with pension funds. Fancy a cokehead spiking your CV.
    I don't get it why people heed this failed player and drunken rabble rouser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    The venerable Terry would have been a good move. He was sacked by England for being a bit of a DelBoy. Don't tell me that he was any worse than Don Revie, George Graham etc. If I remember rightly, he was involved in the pub business and inter company borrowings were at the centre of the DTI's investigation. Every government in the world do that with pension funds. Fancy a cokehead spiking your CV.
    I don't get it why people heed this failed player and drunken rabble rouser.

add to that the antipathy he showed himself towards playing for ireland. in his interview on one of the earlier 2nd captains podcasts, he talked about how himself and joe kinnear had no real pride to represent ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

In terms of youth football and youth development, what I never ever understood was why we as kids, and I assume children still do move up to full-size pitches around the age of 12-13. 11 a side, full-size pitches?

Just seems mad to me. In argentina and brazil they keep the space small as long as possible, kids can actually get good at... playing football.

Yeah. I'd also call for the majority of training and games to be played on Astroturf (where possible). The boggy bumpy and wet pitches all over the country only enourage hoofball, whereas astro would help them keep the ball on the deck. The size 5 football is brought in much too early also.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yeah. I'd also call for the majority of training and games to be played on Astroturf (where possible). The boggy bumpy and wet pitches all over the country only enourage hoofball, whereas astro would help them keep the ball on the deck. The size 5 football is brought in much too early also.

No no no! Astro turf doesnt encourage football on the deck in practice

I'm well aware of the different workloads between a club manager and a national team manager. Fairly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I'm not being disingenuous at all, his style is similar to Traps except for the success and I'm in no doubt that there is a better choice out there that is feasible.

The fact that your arguing with me about replacing a past it manager with a declining one doesnt bode well!

O'Neill would instil belief in the players if he took the Ireland job and would not have the communication difficulties that Trap had, he would not be the same as Trap. You're attempt to conflate the two is disingenuous and btw Trap did a good job in the first few years before the disaster in Euro 2012 after which he should have went. If you're saying you want a young manager to take over fair enough, but you suggested Hiddink, you're contradicting yourself.

O'Neill would instil belief in the players if he took the Ireland job and would not have the communication difficulties that Trap had, he would not be the same as Trap. You're attempt to conflate the two is disingenuous and btw Trap did a good job in the first few years before the disaster in Euro 2012 after which he should have went. If you're saying you want a young manager to take over fair enough, but you suggested Hiddink, you're contradicting yourself.

You're right, the communication issues wouldnt be the same but I dont think that just because MON is better makes him the ideal candidate. That and looking at players is now a mandatory condition of getting the job!

Trap did well results wise but the football is no different to the terrible stuff that keeps irish fans away in droves. Even then, he could have involved better players and tactics.

As for the next manager, age is irrelevant. its about how they see the game and their career trajectory, whether they are good enough or not. Whilst Hiddink is an off the top of my head suggestion, its just a high profile one (good but very expensive one). I believe there are several others i can come up with after a little thought and not pie in the sky suggestions either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Aenaes wrote: »
    This forum is hardly populist. I was talking about the general public which the media write-ups and bookmakers' favourite lists echo.

I guess we'll see. But two highly competitive campaigns where we reached consecutive play-offs and a third which came down to the last 4 games (or 2 games, depending on where you stand) is hardly damning no matter what style of football is played.

My biggest fear is we'll be looking back on this era with fondness in 2016-2020.
    I really don't trust the FAI to make a good decision.

In fairness they pulled the cat out of the bag to land Trap. This campaign was poor but we qualified for the euro's and were a hand ball away from the world cup. At the time people like Terry Venables were being touted and we just endured Kerr and Stan. Then we end up with one of the most decorated managers in modern football.
    On top of that they were able to get Denis O'Brien in on the deal to cover a huge chunk of his salary. That's shrewd business in any man's language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just thought of otto rehhagel. see below or ottmar hitzfeld (who led the greeks to Euro 2004 triumph!!! hes currently with switzerland at the moment though...

Hertha BSC[edit source (from wikipedia)

Rehhagel during his stint as Hertha Berlin manager
    Two years after leaving the Greek national team, Rehhagel came out of retirement to sign for ailing Bundesliga club Hertha BSC for whom he had his Bundesliga debut as a player.[10][11] His attempt to save Hertha from relegation however ended in a failure, after the Berliners were defeated by 2. Bundesliga club Fortuna Düsseldorf in a two-legged playoff.

just checked and hitzfeld is on nearly 2.5 million according to the below link! thought it might be high enough given its switzerland!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2239727/Top-30-best-paid-football-managers-world--Sir-Alex-Ferguson-England-boss-Roy-Hodgson-Jose-Mourinho-tops-list.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

klose wrote: »
    How much is brady getting paid here? Hes hillariously biased and cant be taken remotely seriously

Brady has a lot of personal respect and admiration for Trapattoni which is fair enough. Brady's played for Trap and he's worked for Trap, it's not surprising that their relationship will colour his view but I don't think that he's ever denied Trap's failings as Irish coach as much as he's pointed out the positives in the face of Dunphy's barking, and there have been some over these last few years. I consider Brady a good devil's advocate if nothing else and as well as that, I don't tune in to the panel to see the lads agree! I tune in to see if anyone's been chinned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

How on earth does Astro not encourage it more than bumpy or soggy pitches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'd be for any move that keeps all under age football to astroturf pitches and 5 or 7-aside until perhaps u-14 level.

It might be a bit dramatic but smaller, level pitches can only promote passing.

I'm sure most of us have been there but i remember being stuck out on the wing in an u-13 match on a full sized pitch. The pitch is so big relative to the size and fitness any of us has at 12 years old, that inevitably you're left with a couple of options when you get the ball - try glory it or hoof a long pass somewhere.

There's no need for 12, 13 or 14 year olds even to be playing 11-a-side footy on full pitches.

try playing matches on them, it doesnt encourage the style of play u think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Due to lack of competition. Not because we are particularly good. Besides success is relative

I know its a minority sport but its still success. If you got a medal at the Olympics it would be all over the papers.
    RoryMac wrote: »
    Most of our national team play at a very high level in the biggest sport in the world, we do very well for a country of our size.

The ability, commitment and professionalism required to get to that level of the biggest sport in the world far outweighs what is required for GAA & rugby imo.

Our own league is stronger than most give credit to as well, there is room for improvement but it's far from being a minor sport although it may be portrayed as that by some

There is no lack of commitment etc and the players do us proud. But in terms of results we could have done better.

From a purely footballing point of view players really have to be playing at the highest level (e.g the top division) and some of our clubs should make UEFA competitions. It's a bit on the hard side for us.

mada999 wrote: »
    I'm calling bull**** on this

Be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

This is commonly bandied around but, to be honest, I've never heard such a distortion of the truth by sentimentality in all my life.

Kenny was barely better than Roy Hodgson and spent a hell of a lot of money to do that. He was an absolute disaster.

As for the Ireland job, I initially favoured Hoddle the last time for his philosophy on the game and, depending on our budget, he might be the best option again. That said, there are a lot of drawbacks with him (general nuttiness, people skills being the two biggies).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

In fairness they pulled the cat out of the bag to land Trap. This campaign was poor but we qualified for the euro's and were a hand ball away from the world cup. At the time people like Terry Venables were being touted and we just endured Kerr and Stan. Then we end up with one of the most decorated managers in modern football.
    On top of that they were able to get Denis O'Brien in on the deal to cover a huge chunk of his salary. That's shrewd business in any man's language.
    We were a handball away from a penalty shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Trap was/is a a bit like Fianna Fail,

rode along on a crest of a wave for a few years,
    lined his own pockets
    made controversial decisions against the wisdom of outside expert commentators
    soon everyone realised it was all smoke and mirrors
    he was living on a reputation made many many years before
    then rode the country into the mire (59th place in rankings)
    hung around too long
    didnt do the honourable thing and resign
    took the money and ran .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

murpho999 wrote: »
    Based on what?

Sunderland and Aston Villa?

Winning a two team league in Scotland?

We have a manager that has won every european club tournament and has managed some of the strongest club sides in the world. He has quite the C.V.

If you think managing Sunderland, Aston Villa and Celtic is an insufficient grounding for an Ireland manager and If you extend your own logic, shouldn't we be keeping the manageR we have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Trap is no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Bes wishes to Mr Trapattoni.

Now the chase is on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Traps record doesnt only trump his, it pisses on it!

His post Seville years at Celtic, Villa & Sunderland managerial record shows that he's an outstanding candidate if the the bar is being set low.

Ireland can get better than Martin O'Neill

Where were Villa before he took over? Finished 16th. Where were they when he took over? Finished 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th. Where were they when he left? Finished 9th, 16th, 15th.

At Sunderland, his coach John Robertson, who had been with him throughout his career was not with him. Which was a factor in how things went. Hopefully he would be able to take on an international role as coach.

It seems fashionable on here to be anti-O'Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We have a manager that has won every european club tournament and has managed some of the strongest club sides in the world. He has quite the C.V.

If you think managing Sunderland, Aston Villa and Celtic is an insufficient grounding for an Ireland manager and If you extend your own logic, shouldn't we be keeping the manageR we have

20+ years ago. Anyone know if Bill Shankley or Bob Paisley are available?

You're right, the communication issues wouldnt be the same but I dont think that just because MON is better makes him the ideal candidate. That and looking at players is now a mandatory condition of getting the job!

Trap did well results wise but the football is no different to the terrible stuff that keeps irish fans away in droves. Even then, he could have involved better players and tactics.

As for the next manager, age is irrelevant. its about how they see the game and their career trajectory, whether they are good enough or not. Whilst Hiddink is an off the top of my head suggestion, its just a high profile one (good but very expensive one). I believe there are several others i can come up with after a little thought and not pie in the sky suggestions either.

That wouldn't be the only thing that wouldn't be the same. The tactics and attitude of the players wouldn't be the same either. O'Neill never sent a Celtic team on the field with two traffic cones in midfield - as Dunphy put it, and just because Dunphy said that doesn't mean it was inaccurate either.

People appear to have a simplistic idea of MON's approach, his teams were often direct in style but that didn't mean midfield was bypassed like Ireland were a lot of the time under Trap.

As weldoninhio says it appears to be fashionable with some posters here to be anti-MON, I'm surprised that you appear to be swayed by that fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

BTW, someone told me that Dunphy conceded he was wrong about Del Bosque's salary on RTE last night?

Did he?

I can't find that bit in the clip at all.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    BTW, someone told me that Dunphy conceded he was wrong about Del Bosque's salary on RTE last night?

Did he?

He did, he said he meant to say Slaven Bilic from Croatia who is supposed to be on a modest salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Did he?

He did but with the addition that he'd meant Bilic (meaning he was still wrong with his figure).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He did, he said he meant to say Slaven Bilic from Croatia who is supposed to be on a modest salary.
    roanoke wrote: »
    He did but with the addition that he'd meant Bilic (meaning he was still wrong with his figure).

Completely cut from the RTE 16m long video form last night on youtube.

Where were Villa before he took over? Finished 16th. Where were they when he took over? Finished 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th. Where were they when he left? Finished 9th, 16th, 15th.

At Sunderland, his coach John Robertson, who had been with him throughout his career was not with him. Which was a factor in how things went. Hopefully he would be able to take on an international role as coach.

It seems fashionable on here to be anti-O'Neill.

Ridiculous

At Villa, he made significant investment in average players and when he was told that his investment strategy was poor and basically cut off from overspending on limited players, he walked away. Looking at how he left things at Celtic, Villa & Sunderland doesnt inspire me at all. What will he do with limited pool of players that he cant change??

He plays long ball, has his favourites, stubborn to changing tactics/personnel when things arent working and we just sacked a manager (an extremely successful one) who has all those flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Completely cut from the RTE 16m long video form last night on youtube.

You can still hear him say it on the RTE player.

Goto 2h45m50s http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10197561/

• Advertisement
Advertisement