Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland - WCQ Tuesday 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

TheDoc wrote: »
    The thought of Martin O'Neill coming in is horrifying tbh, a really average manager with a poor track record. A short term hype machine.

But he'll be jumping around on the sidelines and stuff and everything will be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

fryup wrote: »
    whats David O'Leary been up to over the past few years??

he's on SSN the odd time as a pundit for the CL games (he can stay there btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

O'Neill would be better than Trap IMO at least he can speak the language and would actually attend some games.

He would also acknowledge that the players playing in the premier league regularly have got to be better than some League 1 nobody that Trap relies upon.

Ive said it before but Ireland need to get back on the granny rule in order to beef up the squad with some quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anybody know of any current international players with more goals then Robbie Keane?

Klose must be up there or there abouts I'd imagine.

The only current internationals with more are klose, soon to break mullers record and drogba.

271089.jpg

Robbie is hands down one of the greatest strikers to have ever played international football, legend.

Can we all chip in to get a statue erected of robert david keane when he calls it a day? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

as a leeds fan, green always gives 100pc for us especially last season, cant' ask for much more tbh

Green is nowhere near as bad as some people make out. The lad is a decent honest player. Honestly, I think some people just get their opinions from the media and can't see beyond that.

The lad isn't a world beater but he isn't a donkey either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Green is nowhere near as bad as some people make out. The lad is a decent honest player. Honestly, I think some people just get their opinions from the media and can't see beyond that.

Exactly this! Its not exactly his fault he's selected. Same as Glenn Whelan. Yes I don't think they are good enough for the team, that's where the blame lies with Trap.

I'm still hoping for a win, not expecting one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Mushy wrote: »
    Exactly this! Its not exactly his fault he's selected. Same as Glenn Whelan. Yes I don't think they are good enough for the team, that's where the blame lies with Trap.

I'm still hoping for a win, not expecting one though.

I actually think we have a better chance tonight than we did on Friday (which is a blinding example of statement of the obvious now). I reckon we'll get at least a draw.

I actually think we have a better chance tonight than we did on Friday (which is a blinding example of statement of the obvious now). I reckon we'll get at least a draw.

I don't think that's due to the opposition more than our team selection. But I do expect a draw too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Ireland seem good value @ 3-1 with Paddypower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The pattern lately has been that Ireland play better away from home and professional pride kicks in where the players play better in the next match after a poor performance. There might be another kick in them, but it wont change the big picture in relation to this campaign. If Sweden win in Kazakhstan the game is up.

It may help the next manager a bit in terms of ranking points if we finish 3rd in the group perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From the times I've seen him play for Ireland and Leeds I'm very much resigned to him being a donkey, same with Whelan.

Shockingly limited footballers who don't evne do a great job at shielding a back four, their so called speciality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

TheDoc wrote: »
    From the times I've seen him play for Ireland and Leeds I'm very much resigned to him being a donkey, same with Whelan.

Shockingly limited footballers who don't evne do a great job at shielding a back four, their so called speciality.

I doubt either player lays claim to this. Whelan is a player who likes to sit and play an pass, maybe have a few pops. Green is energitic and disruptive, abit in your face again not a defensive shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

INEEDANID wrote: »
    Ireland seem good value @ 3-1 with Paddypower.

I would much rather Austria -1 at the same odds. On another note I dont think Sweden will have it easy in Kazakhstan tonight that will be a close game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Get beat tonight

4th seeds for Euro 2016

Martin O Neill comes in

Future ain't bright.

Have you worked that out?

God, lose tonight and almost certainly lose in Germany you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If we can't get second after tonight you would hope we would still hold on to third place finish.With the set up changing for the Euro 2016 qualifiers we need to hold onto third seeding.
    Hope for a win tonight and beat Kazakhstan,that as good as it will get imo.I cant see us getting a thing in Cologne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

yabadabado wrote: »
    If we can't get second after tonight you would hope we would still hold on to third place finish.With the set up changing for the Euro 2016 qualifiers we need to hold onto third seeding.
    Hope for a win tonight and beat Kazakhstan,that as good as it will get imo.I cant see us getting a thing in Cologne.

Agreed.

There is no team in world football I'd have less faith in us gettign a point against away from home than Germany. I include Spain in that.

Is the 2016 Euros system set in stone? Top three from each group?

We have no chance at second seed status (I haven't looked it up recently but draws with Sweden and Austria coupled with home defeats to Germany and Sweden can't have helped our case at all) so defo the priority is to maintain third seed status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I hope Peter Stöger has retired, still have nightmares about that fella :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed.

There is no team in world football I'd have less faith in us gettign a point against away from home than Germany. I include Spain in that.

Is the 2016 Euros system set in stone? Top three from each group?

We have no chance at second seed status (I haven't looked it up recently but draws with Sweden and Austria coupled with home defeats to Germany and Sweden can't have helped our case at all) so defo the priority is to maintain third seed status.

afaik its set in stone .Top 2 qualify and 3rd placed into a playoff.Is that correct?

EDIT:It is to be discussed in a UEFA conference this month according to Wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

exactly, what you see is what you get from greenie, some people try to make out that he is of non-league/conference standard and he is used a scape goat when we get bad results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

We'll score early tonight and old out for an ill-deserved draw. Trap will herald the result as a triumph of his "system", and we'll be left with more gloom and inevitability (i.e. a good beating in Germany) than the humane killer that a loss would be tonight.

Trap will see out the last of these games whether we like it or not (I'm in the "not" camp).

Hope to god we can get a new manager in - the right manager - that will instil a bit of self belief in the players and have them fighting for results again. In my opinion, Trap has managed to oversee Irish performances that are worse than the sum of our parts. That's a damning endictment of any manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Prediction tonight 3-1 to Austria :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Id rather Trap then Givens in charge or whatever "interim" wed get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

sweden 1 up already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

klose wrote: »
    I thought mclean was one of the better players on friday and he gets dropped, bah green in midfield too. Its tough times to be an irish national team supporter these days.

McClean was poor against Sweden, besides the odd charge down the wing he did very little. Poor player.

Then you have a certain Robbie Brady twiddling his thumbs on the bench. Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

gustafo wrote: »
    sweden 1 up already

Ibrahimovic at it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are Austria ahead of us in the world rankings?

Think we are ahead of then but can't check.

Im going for another boring old draw tonight.

Sigh

We're ahead, but not by much. They might overtake us depending on tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The Kazakhs are well in this game. Tidy players and exploiting a lot of space on the counter. Game far from over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kazakhs giving it a good go against Sweden at the minute. I don't expect them to get anywhere but their morale is not imploding like Ireland's did on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sweden to seal it in 2nd half 0-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Sweden to win no question.
    Ireland to get a draw at best.
    Martin O Neill as manager if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Kazakhstan are really going at Sweden, they are very competitive and putting Sweden under pressure, they're making Ireland's performance look even worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

klose wrote: »
    The only current internationals with more are klose, soon to break mullers record and drogba.

271089.jpg

Robbie is hands down one of the greatest strikers to have ever played international football, legend.

Can we all chip in to get a statue erected of robert david keane when he calls it a day? :pac:

For players in the modern era, Batistuta, Villa and Koller have amazing goal per game records for their countries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, 0-1 to Sweden. That's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Looks like money is being piled on Austria at the bookies.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

bloody hell! Sweden just winning by the one goal. We always say it, but the opposition in this campaign werent up to much, says a lot about us really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Idbatterim wrote: »
    bloody hell! Sweden just winning by the one goal. We always say it, but the opposition in this campaign werent up to much, says a lot about us really...

It was a poor Group bar the Germans, if we were organised properly at all we'd have finished 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It was a poor Group bar the Germans, if we were organised properly at all we'd have finished 2nd.
    yeah sorry, meant to say with the exception of the germans, that goes without saying really!

Wearing black tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Mushy wrote: »
    Wearing black tonight

Apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Paul Green? That's Trappatoni's answer, Paul Green? Anthony Pilkington's no great match winner either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Bill set that up like a presidential debate.

Sean7 wrote: »
    Paul Green? That's Trappatoni's answer, Paul Green? Anthony Pilkington's no great match winner either.

Yeah let's blame him for all the woes of the team that caused us to lose tonight.

Actually, if Ireland do lose, it'll be horrible to see the abuse he alone will get, even if he isn't to blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Brady......the time for brown nosing Trap has passed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brady is the only one there with a clue. Fair play to you, Liam.

John Giles admitted in the Herald this past fortnight that he doesn't know what a holding midfielder is and suspected it was a term used to give praise to limited players like Michael Carrick.

John Giles admitted in the Herald this past fortnight that he doesn't know what a holding midfielder is and suspected it was a term used to give praise to limited players like Michael Carrick.

I only saw the interview with Wilson now....that's a damning indictment against Trap that Brady can never defend. He is still trying though. But is more level headed I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You're still defending Trap.

Jesus I don't whether to laugh or cry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Brady defending the indefensible, Simon Cox(surprised he's not playing), when he brought him on the other day destroyed the game, Paul Green? Wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

All he did was pick out some mistakes by players so unsure about themselfs they take the easy or safe option imho thats all down to the manager and his "no no im great they ****" attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mushy wrote:
    I only saw the interview with Wilson now....that's a damning indictment against Trap that Brady can never defend. He is still trying though. But is more level headed I guess.

Wilson's difficulty in grasping what he needs to do is his business. If he has communication issues he should ask for his instructions to be repeated.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    You're still defending Trap.

Jesus I don't whether to laugh or cry :D

I see the situation in the same way as Liam Brady, Niall Quinn and Robbie Keane. I'd rather be in there company than Eamon 'Bayern are overrated' Dunphy, and John 'tactics are overrated, Bill' Giles.

Advertisement