Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA visa to work

Options
  • 09-09-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I've been reading around trying to find my best option to working in the states. I have been in the USA the last 2 summers on J1 visa and have graduated my degree but I am currently enrolled in a masters degree which will finish next April.

I have qualified as a quantity surveyor in construction and my masters is in commercial management in construction which focuses more on modern aspects of QS. I was wondering what would be the best way to find a job involving Qs in the states and what would be the most appropriate visa to get to ensure I would be able to work in the states next year.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 STEVSKi

P.s if you apply for j1 graduate visa for 12 months while you are in the states can you apply for the H1B visa if you end up getting sponsored by the company!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would assume the 1 year J1 visa would be the most appropriate visa once you've finished your masters.

Unless you are subject to the three month home rule (very rare), you can apply for an H1B. You can remain in the country if the visa hasn't been approved and your J1 expires, however you cannot work. So if you apply at the end of your visa (e.g. April 2015) then you cannot work until the visa starts, which should be sometime in October 2015.

Advertisement