Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare - Times gone by

Options
  • 09-09-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

Just come back from a few days in Rosslare Strand and thoroughly enjoyed it too.

As a kid, I used to go there pretty much every year from the mid-60s to the early 70s. I have certain, strong childhood memories from those times but would love to see some photos from that era if anyone has them. Unfortunately, my parents weren't much for taking snaps in those days so the only pictures are in my mind and we all know how unreliable they can be.

I have vivid memories of having ice-creams and fizzy drinks in a cafe on the site of the present-day Pepper Mill. I can't remember what it was called but have a vague recollection the word "martello" was in the name somewhere.

And there was a small sweet shop roughly where the recreation centre is now. Again I can't remember the name.

If anyone can help fill in the gaps, and hopefully elaborate (visually preferably) then I'd love to encounter my childhood again :-)

Del

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

a few photos here but are probably 40s/50s going by the car pictured in one

The Book Centre in Wexford has a good selection of local books.

Wexford Historical Society publish a Journal in which articles about the Strand can appear.

As far as I remember there's a few photos in the Maritime Heritage Centre in Rosslare Harbour too.

Sorry I can't fill the gaps as such but perhaps something above will help or give a "lead" to another source.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

Thanks for those

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

The restaurant/takeaway you are thinking of was called the Martell. And the sweet shop was Pierces. There's a facebook page called I'm from Rosslare with loads of old photos posted so you should be able to find stuff there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

Thanks for that. Some great memories embedded in those images

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Ah yes think I lived in Pierces shop during the 80's.. I was in that often :)
    Used to stay down the lane around the corner in a tiny caravan park

In what my mother called a "Chalet" beside the golf course.......

Chalet was the posh word for a corrugated hut/ bomb shelter

Must dig out some old photos... I remember scouring the golf course for golf balls
    and being constantly chased by an auld man with a dog who solfd the golf balls back to the golfers...

Them were Holidays made of Legends.!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I'll see if I can find a few. We used to go there too in the 70's.
    My mum knew the people who owned the Cedars, so we usually stayed there.
    I remember walking down to "the wreck" and watching it fall apart over the years.

Advertisement