Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby spinach

• 09-09-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello

Could anyone advise on how to grow baby spinach? Can it be grown in containers? Can it be grown all year round?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I thought baby spinach is just any variety of spinach, picked young?

Might be wrong, but that's what I do when I want small spinach leaves. Maybe there is a specific variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yeah they are just young leaves, so you would need to grow LOTS and keep successionally sowing to produce enough to match what you would get in the supermarket very cheaply. There are different types that grow well at different times of the year, sorry don't know what varieties to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

OK. will have a go, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

What do you use the baby leaves for? We pick the young tender leaves for salads or for cooking .

I imagined that picking them encouraged extra young leaves coming (I never noticed a lack of the new leaves in the plants ).

I suspect that rich soil and good soil conditions make the leaves that bit tenderer and I think that that ,rather than the size of the leaves is what is important.

My spinach lasts through the winter (without cover) but growth slows right down and so I am not sure where baby spinach comes from in the winter (can you get it then?)

Advertisement