Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Tequila to a kit

Options
  • 09-09-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im planning on making a Coopers "Cerveza" kit this weekend. Ive made it several times before, and I found the ideal time about 5/6 months. However, this time, I want to add a bit of tequila to one batch (its a tequila essence) and lime (will grate down the skin on about 3 limes) to a second batch. Am I better off waiting until the primary fermentation is complete, and then put it into another bucket, and add the tequila/lime, or add it in at the start?

I am aware that you cant do much with kits, but I want to try something different and see if it works.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You could add some agave syrup to the brew, which is what tequilas brewed from

And it might bump up your abv

If adding limes, soak them in really hot water to get the wax off the skin first, or buy I waxed fruit
    Wax(fat) kills head retention

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for that. Any ideas where I would get the agave syrup?

Should I put my "extra" ingredients at the very start of the fermentation, or when would be best to put the stuff in?

Thanks

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any ideas where I would get the agave syrup?

Should I put my "extra" ingredients at the very start of the fermentation, or when would be best to put the stuff in?

Thanks
    Both my local Supervalu and local convenience store have agave syrup in the bakery section

Add at the start of fermentation, before adding yeadt

Perfect, thanks for that! Shopping time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I could be wrong here, but I thought that it would be best to add any adjuncts after fermentation has finished, that way none of the added flavour gets fermented out. That's what's recommended when dry hopping and I'm looking into adding whiskey to a stout kit and everyone seems to recommend adding it after fermentation as well.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong here, but I thought that it would be best to add any adjuncts after fermentation has finished, that way none of the added flavour gets fermented out. That's what's recommended when dry hopping and I'm looking into adding whiskey to a stout kit and everyone seems to recommend adding it after fermentation as well.
    Agave syrup is a fermentable, so it should be added before fermentation. It is what tequila is brewed from, and (unfortunately) it's flavour isn't fermented out.
    Spices in witbier are added to the end of the boil, their flavours too make it through fermentation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

agave syrup in the bakery section
    It is in health food shops. but I would read up if others have tried it. Tequila is distilled after fermenting. So if someone came on looking to flavour a beer with whiskey or rum it would be sort of like recommending them to add grains or sugar or molasses to a beer.

Thanks for the responses! Seems to be split! Going to make it this weekend, but probably without aguave syrup. So should I add it before or after fermentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sam898

Hi, how did this turn out? Been searching around for home brews similar to 'Desperados', would like to get a batch on before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

sam898 wrote: »
    Hi, how did this turn out? Been searching around for home brews similar to 'Desperados', would like to get a batch on before Christmas.

yes im going to make one of these soon and would like to know how to improve it,

it had been suggested that boiling 2 limes in about 500ml of wated and great the peal into it will add a needed flavor.

any suggestions?

i didn't want to start a new thread if its not required as this is only a few months old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement