Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI query

• 09-09-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭

Am looking to buy a new telly and the Samsung UE 42F5000 Full HD model http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42F5000&pages=1&prod=42F5000&brands=SAMSUNG&image= is ticking all the boxes, just one potential issue - it only has 2 HDMI ports and I have a Freesat HD box and a Saorview HD recorder box, these will use up both HDMI ports.
    I also intend getting a DVD player which will upscale to near HD. Will I need to buy a HDMI switch for the DVD player for optimal picture or will the scart port on the tv be sufficient to get maximum picture quality? (basically is there any point in buying a HDMI switch or is the scart as good as the DVD upscaling?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Am looking to buy a new telly and the Samsung UE 42F5000 Full HD model http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42F5000&pages=1&prod=42F5000&brands=SAMSUNG&image= is ticking all the boxes, just one potential issue - it only has 2 HDMI ports and I have a Freesat HD box and a Saorview HD recorder box, these will use up both HDMI ports.
    I also intend getting a DVD player which will upscale to near HD. Will I need to buy a HDMI switch for the DVD player for optimal picture or will the scart port on the tv be sufficient to get maximum picture quality? (basically is there any point in buying a HDMI switch or is the scart as good as the DVD upscaling?)

Not answering your question, but why don't you buy a bluray player? They're inexpensive & much better value than the dvd player overall. Just get a hdmi switch & you should be sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Just FYI, I picked up a 3way switch in lidl the other day for 15 euro. So far so good. It even auto switch's to what ever is turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Thanks for the replies. I have no experience with Blu Rays so it never even occured to me to get one but I have done some research this morning and clearly it makes sense to get one rather than a DVD player. It's looking like a Samsung (again) BD-F5100. Must check out the switches in Lidl, :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the TV has component input then that will give a very good picture quality, the manuals usually put component as no.2 to HDMI with SCART no. 3 followed by S-video and then composite (single yellow phono plug). You'll need a L&R audio cable as well.

This is what component out would look like on a Blu-Ray or DVD player.......

Component_video_jack.jpg

Advertisement