Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSP - Bluetooth Watch Development System €37.50 Delivered [Texas Instruments]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Yeah, eventually figured it out. Was just coming back to admit my stupidity :D just messing around with it now. Nice enough looking watch. Wondering what sort of damage it'll do to my phone battery when leaving it on all the time

Do you have led's on? I have flashed the firmware and can connect via android app but I still have a blank screen. If I hold it at an angle I can make out some of the text but other than that, nothing:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

bidiots wrote: »
    Do you have led's on? I have flashed the firmware and can connect via android app but I still have a blank screen. If I hold it at an angle I can make out some of the text but other than that, nothing:mad:

Could it be this problem?

http://metawatch.org/forums/thread/1219/analog-watch-broken#dis-post-8513

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Unplugged both the watch & phone at just after 5 this morning, been using it as normal and i'm at 3.79v on the watch & just over 50% on the phone.

Cheers for that...now to figure out how to set the brightness levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cheers for that...now to figure out how to set the brightness levels

Pull out middle dial thing to set time, press bottom dial to change to LED settings of the top line. Press top dial to adjust from 0-8 then press bottom one to set. Now you're adjusting the bottom line, change again using top dial from 0-8. when finished push middle dial back in.

Is anyone elses top line alot brighter than the bottom even though they're set to the same LED level, the highest of 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Elbow wrote: »
    Unplugged both the watch & phone at just after 5 this morning, been using it as normal and i'm at 3.79v on the watch & just over 50% on the phone.

Mine seems to be having a negligible effect on my phone battery.

Had the watch unplugged all night after charging for a few hours yesterday evening. Been paired to my phone since and at 3.93v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Allyall wrote: »
    FFS.
    I still haven't got mine, Status 'delivered'. Nobody at home, so i don't know what's going on. I'll ring my friend and see if he got his.

No doubt this is my own doing. :(

Hope it's in a Neighbours house.

No sign of mine either, not even a missed call from a courier. I ordered last Monday.

The tracking number field on the confirmation email is blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

No sign of mine either, not even a missed call from a courier. I ordered last Monday.

The tracking number field on the confirmation email is blank.

Mine is blank now too :(

Nothing handed in to neighbours, no sign of it..

Going to send an email now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've no tracking number either. Ordered on Wed last and dispatched on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

So, I've been using it in a normal fashion for the last two days and so far... I love it :D Some points :-

- Phone, sms and app notifications are working.
    - The gmail notification mentioned in the main setting doesn't work on my Nexus 4, I used the app notification for gmail.
    - You need to allow MetaWatch as an accessibility aid under Android Settings. If you installed more than one version of the MetaWatch app, make sure you turn on the right one. You can check if the accessibility option is set correctly in the Noah app by looking at the Statistics screen.
    - This might be controversial but I would say don't get too invested in any functionality beyond at-a-glance notification. The whole widget thing was probably never intended for this platform and is poorly implemented, at least for my phone. It can take several seconds (sometimes beyond 10 seconds!) for the middle button screen to appear. Other times (I think once it has the weather update etc) it will be quicker. It also has a habit of staying on, which will kill the battery. So my point is, the middle functionality is a nice bonus but its really not what the watch is about.
    - I too am seeing the phone notification continue for a couple of buzzes after the call has been answered. Not the end of the world.

I think as previously mentioned the one thing I'd love the watch to do it either silence or reject a call. The main CE app has a silence option I think. Though again I suspect anything beyond at-a-glance notifications was not the original aim of this platform and so any button actions may not be a smooth experience.

Overall, well worth the 38 eur, having great fun showing it to people :D

• Advertisement

Phibsboro wrote: »
    The whole widget thing was probably never intended for this platform and is poorly implemented, at least for my phone. It can take several seconds (sometimes beyond 10 seconds!) for the middle button screen to appear. :D

A double-tap of the middle works best for me in getting the homescreen up.

I find if you tap the top button after you've read the homescreen the screen on the watch sleeps a lot quicker.

Can't seem to get it to notify me of gmails..

I can't get scrolling sms or emails :(

I can't get scrolling sms or emails :(

Update the firmware as per a few posts ago. Mine didn't scroll on the stock firmware.

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Update the firmware as per a few posts ago. Mine didn't scroll on the stock firmware.

I have. The test sms from the app scrolls but when I get a long SMS it just comes up with a 1 beside the widget

I have. The test sms from the app scrolls but when I get a long SMS it just comes up with a 1 beside the widget

Just to clarify, the sms widget doen't show the text of the sms. You only see the text briefly when you receive the sms.

Re receiving gmail, as I said the main setting gmail notificiation doesn't seem to work. So get app notifications working (by setting MetaWatch as an accessibility app under Android Settings->Accessibility) and then turn on gmail notification in the app list for app notifications in the Noah app. Note that gmail is turned off by default, presumably because it is assumed the main setting gmail notification will work.

Just to clarify, the sms widget doen't show the text of the sms. You only see the text briefly when you receive the sms.

Re receiving gmail, as I said the main setting gmail notificiation doesn't seem to work. So get app notifications working (by setting MetaWatch as an accessibility app under Android Settings->Accessibility) and then turn on gmail notification in the app list for app notifications in the Noah app. Note that gmail is turned off by default, presumably because it is assumed the main setting gmail notification will work.

Mine doesn't even do that. It doesn't even vibrate, a 1 just pops up beside the widget after a while :/

Mine doesn't even do that. It doesn't even vibrate, a 1 just pops up beside the widget after a while :/

Well thats not good! I would disconnect from the watch, delete all widgets, reset the watch and start up the app again. Give it a few mins to set itself up then send yourself a text...

Well thats not good! I would disconnect from the watch, delete all widgets, reset the watch and start up the app again. Give it a few mins to set itself up then send yourself a text...

I'll try that, cheers. What's the 2nd OLED brightness like on yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

If anybody wants to compare their flash screen, here's mine, using Phibsboro's instructions, only difference being I unchecked "enable blank check" as it was returning errors, watch seems fine once you play around in the Noah app. Charged the battery on Sat and its still nearly full (3.86v)
    [IMG][/img]sKch90Z.png

By the way, I was playing with Watch Apps and in fact they do work on this watch. So I could forward onto the next song (top button) and pause/play a song (bottom button) using the Media Control app for example. It seems a tad flakey in that it takes a while to get it to come up on the widget screen. The Actions app is actually quite complicated, it uses the top button to scroll between 8 actions and the bottom button then activates or enables/disables that action. The problem is that appears to be a huge lag between pressing the buttons and the screen changing. So, at least for me, it is not really usable. But it does bode well for possibly implementing a simpler actions app that just silenced or rejected a phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

My order still shows processing after three days. :-(
    Is there anyone here who received their watch who hadn't got the "estimated shipping date" email in 24 hours
    after the mail confirming their order?

niallb wrote: »
    My order still shows processing after three days. :-(
    Is there anyone here who received their watch who hadn't got the "estimated shipping date" email in 24 hours
    after the mail confirming their order?

If you ordered over the weekend, I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

Mine has said shipped since Thursday (not friday, which i said in my last post). Might get it tomorrow, but have no tracking number.

If you ordered over the weekend, I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

Mine has said shipped since Thursday (not friday, which i said in my last post). Might get it tomorrow, but have no tracking number.

Mine is since ages ago.. :(

Although, i'm pretty sure it is my mistake. May have to reorder. :o

Thanks for the feedback.
    I actually ordered on Friday, but was just concerned because the confirmation mail said I'd get another one in 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Mine must be a dud, I can't see anything at all on the top display. In pitch darkness, I can just about see something faintly in the display. I presume it should display something by default.

Mine must be a dud, I can't see anything at all on the top display. In pitch darkness, I can just about see something faintly in the display. I presume it should display something by default.

I'm in the same boat except with the bottom display. I'm trying to arrange a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭romperstomper

received mine, its running 0.8 firmware Stack, 1.124 App. tried and failed to update it. The software found the watch on com port 4, but i received a message ' put watch into bootloader mode'.

anyone received anything similar?

i tried XDA & reddit, but their forums are all over the shop on this watch

omahaid wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat except with the bottom display. I'm trying to arrange a replacement.

I'm in the same boat. I contacted the support on the Texas I site yesterday and got a call this morning from them telling me I would get a full refund. Kudos to their support system even though I would prefer a working sample....

I really need to stop looking at this BA forum though!

General update:

On the newest FW charged my watch on Sunday evening for about 4 hours.
    It has been on since connected to my phone full time. It's been quite active syncing Facebook notification, calls, texts etc.

Still on 3.69v so I'd say I'll get the rest of the day out of it at least.

Don't know if I'm imagining it but watch seems a bit more stable now after a few days.

Gripes:

watch notifies me of a call for too long. Sometimes up to a minute after a call.
    Found the music interface slow. Disabled it anyway as I wouldn't use it.

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat. I contacted the support on the Texas I site yesterday and got a call this morning from them telling me I would get a full refund. Kudos to their support system even though I would prefer a working sample....

I really need to stop looking at this BA forum though!

What link did you use for this? I got this email from TI
    Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments.

For support for your MetaWatch please use the following form on the link below:

http://support.metawatch.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Best Regards,
    Nigel Brown
    Texas Instruments
    ASKTEXAS

Try this email: epic@ti.com

I contacted the support on the main page and had to fill out a 'proof of identity' form which was a bit of a pain but it must have worked. They contacted me on the email above so maybe its the easiest way

received mine, its running 0.8 firmware Stack, 1.124 App. tried and failed to update it. The software found the watch on com port 4, but i received a message ' put watch into bootloader mode'.

anyone received anything similar?

i tried XDA & reddit, but their forums are all over the shop on this watch

Did Verify Security Fuse work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Code seems to be expired now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, just tried myself and can confirm it doesn't work.

Expired!

FFFAAAAAHHH!! :mad:

I sent an email to them yesterday, still waiting for a reply.

Feck.
    Hopefully i'll still get it.

• Advertisement

I'll try that, cheers. What's the 2nd OLED brightness like on yours?

They both seem around the same to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Larry_N

Ordered mine Sunday night, just got an email saying its awaiting shipping so will hopefully get it!

I just got a mail saying the same thing.
    Must have taken them quite a while to work through the orders!

Just got mine!

Dare I say it's not as big as I thought it was going to be, still pretty big though!

Did Verify Security Fuse work?

verify security fuse does work. i am now using the FETPro430 application. however when i flash the watch there is an error with the memory blanking:

All memory Blank checking............. failed
    --,,-- without protected area...... OK

any ideas?

• Advertisement

verify security fuse does work. i am now using the FETPro430 application. however when i flash the watch there is an error with the memory blanking:

All memory Blank checking............. failed
    --,,-- without protected area...... OK

any ideas?
    See my screenshot above, was getting the same and unticked enable blank checking, all is well with it now

See my screenshot above, was getting the same and unticked enable blank checking, all is well with it now

that cleared the errors and it completed successfully, thanks. New problem is that watch is completely unresponsive. I made sure to hit 'reset' after the flash completed. Any idea on what this could be?

Well i think mine is screwed anyway.

Bottom screen hasn't turned on once. And to be honest I can't really get much on the top screen. It constantly pops up with "SMS from" which just wont go away.

gah :(

I followed post 122 and read this

Did you change this part of it too? Setup tab>connection device reset

[IMG][/img]7mHvWqK.jpg

Aye i did. And mine is identical to that. I have a feeling I've screwed something up though. But that being said, the bottom screen has never shown any life, before or after update. Cheers dude.

Aye i did. And mine is identical to that. I have a feeling I've screwed something up though. But that being said, the bottom screen has never shown any life, before or after update. Cheers dude.

My bottom screen is screwed and since I used the app to "test" I've been getting that SMS message too :( watch is a pain in the hoop. I'd go through them if I paid $200 for it! :D

Have you used the same code file as me? Mine looks like this when I added it to the fetpro430 screen?

[IMG][/img]0GJFYIw.png

Have you used the same code file as me? Mine looks like this when I added it to the fetpro430 screen?

[IMG][/img]0GJFYIw.png

Skill: when I saw your update i realised my mistake. I had been using the file linked in the official guides: 140rc-556.a43

why oh why don't they simply have a link to metawatch.com/downloads and we can all see what the correct file is?

For the record i used:
    APP 3.1
    STACK 2.00

is there a better/more recent one that that?

My bottom screen is screwed and since I used the app to "test" I've been getting that SMS message too :( watch is a pain in the hoop. I'd go through them if I paid $200 for it! :D

Texas Instruments are pretty decent, i'd say they'd exchange it? Have you tried?

I'm going to have to unfollow this thread until i find out if i can get one..

Allyall wrote: »
    Texas Instruments are pretty decent, i'd say they'd exchange it? Have you tried?

I'm going to have to unfollow this thread until i find out if i can get one..

Yeah, fired off an email yesterday :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement