Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSP - Bluetooth Watch Development System €37.50 Delivered [Texas Instruments]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Skill: when I saw your update i realised my mistake. I had been using the file linked in the official guides: 140rc-556.a43

why oh why don't they simply have a link to metawatch.com/downloads and we can all see what the correct file is?

For the record i used:
    APP 3.1
    STACK 2.00

is there a better/more recent one that that?

I downloaded the firmware from post 122 unzipped it and just pointed to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Allyall wrote: »
    Texas Instruments are pretty decent, i'd say they'd exchange it? Have you tried?

I'm going to have to unfollow this thread until i find out if i can get one..

It would suck the big one if you didnt get one of these after pointing everyone to the bargain...

...on the bright side someone might get sick of it pretty fast and you might get a better bargain the rest of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, just tried myself and can confirm it doesn't work.

Expired!

Damn it, after reading through the thread I really wanted to get my hands on one of these..although I couldn't find where to put the voucher code anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Well i think mine is screwed anyway.

Bottom screen hasn't turned on once. And to be honest I can't really get much on the top screen. It constantly pops up with "SMS from" which just wont go away.

gah :(

That sounds the behaviour I was seeing when I hadn't updated to the latest firmware. Also, make sure you aren't messing with the app tests - at least one of the SMS tests keeps going until you hit the SMS stop test. In general I found it was grand once i reset the watch, stopped the app, removed any widgets I didn't really need then restart the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭romperstomper

thanks again to Skill & Phibsboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Phibsboro wrote: »
    That sounds the behaviour I was seeing when I hadn't updated to the latest firmware. Also, make sure you aren't messing with the app tests - at least one of the SMS tests keeps going until you hit the SMS stop test. In general I found it was grand once i reset the watch, stopped the app, removed any widgets I didn't really need then restart the app.

I had been messing with the app tests...so that perhaps explains the madness i was experiencing before!

Have some functionality now, from the firmware I downloaded from this post I've reflashed tonnes of times and still only have the top screen working.

Does anyone have a link/directions to where they're downloading the firmware from? I can't find it for the life of me! I want to redownload it and reflash one more time to see if I get anything from this bottom screen.

Now I can play/skip track which is cool:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I've reflashed tonnes of times and still only have the top screen working.

between us, we have a good watch. :D

I've reflashed tonnes of times and still only have the bottom screen working.

This is the link for the firmware, I think.

http://www.metawatch.org/assets/images/developers/MetaWatch_SPP_FW_WDS11X_v3.1.0.zip

between us, we have a good watch. :D

I've reflashed tonnes of times and still only have the bottom screen working.

This is the link for the firmware, I think.

http://www.metawatch.org/assets/images/developers/MetaWatch_SPP_FW_WDS11X_v3.1.0.zip

haha cheers dude.

Yeah, just have the top screen. Have some widgets on it now. Which seem to actually work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Anyone seeing any issues charging? I have the clip on, and the cable plugged in but it's not taking a charge at all... or very slowly. I left it plugged in all night and it's still at 3.58v

I'm on App:3.10, Stack 2.0

Maybe a re-flash, or reset?

• Advertisement

gerryk wrote: »
    Anyone seeing any issues charging? I have the clip on, and the cable plugged in but it's not taking a charge at all... or very slowly. I left it plugged in all night and it's still at 3.58v

I'm on App:3.10, Stack 2.0

Maybe a re-flash, or reset?

i have the exact same issue since i flashed it to 3.1 firmware. 9 hour charge and only 65% battery is showing.

i have the exact same issue since i flashed it to 3.1 firmware. 9 hour charge and only 65% battery is showing.

Reflashed 3.1 and it's charging away now. Are you getting the little 'lightening bolt' charging symbol? I wasn't before, but am now, after a reflash.

The source for 3.1 is on github, so might be worth a browse.

The source for 3.1 is on github, so might be worth a browse.

I must get myself some time to have a goo. There is a definite problem with widget functionality, they all seem to be moving in treacle, especially any that use the top/bottom buttons. I reckon if you get a dev environment set up it should be clear what is causing that.

There are hints of some lovely functionality that just isn't working. For example if you check the option for "automatically start actions during phone call" (or something like that), you get a 3 option action menu which allows you hang up or turn on/off the speakerphone during a call. Unfortunately its so slow as to be unuseable (like you could press a button and wait *minutes* for the action to change) and also it appears to stay on until you back out of it, which is a pain as it can take several minutes to navigate to the back out option. The actions do work though, as I inadvertently left my phone playing music out of the headset earpiece (!).

I know there is a mac option, but has anyone flashed the phone successfully through linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

I know there is a mac option, but has anyone flashed the phone successfully through linux?
    Not yet, but my status has just gone to "Shipped".
    Did anyone else notice on their order that when payment is taken
    TI describe it as status "Captured" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

niallb wrote: »
    Not yet, but my status has just gone to "Shipped".
    Did anyone else notice on their order that when payment is taken
    TI describe it as status "Captured" :)

Just saw that now, mine is shipped also, but no DHL tracking no.

• Advertisement

for the life of me i cannot figure out why my gmail notification doesn't work. everything else (including unread gmail widget) is working fine. anyone able to post working settings? im using noah's metawatch manager

for the life of me i cannot figure out why my gmail notification doesn't work. everything else (including unread gmail widget) is working fine. anyone able to post working settings? im using noah's metawatch manager

Use 'other apps' notification instead.

Just to confirm I am not seeing this issue. Charged last night (for the first time since Sunday) and it took maybe an hour and a half to fully recharge. S's mentioned previously the battery symbol had a lightening flaah in it while charging.

Use 'other apps' notification instead.

that doesnt exist for me under noah's metawatfh manager. i have:
    preferences- other (no apps in this directory)

preferences - notifications - gmail (tick tox to enable)

where exactly is 'other apps'

Ok... when you go to 'Notifications' untick the Gmail box. Then scroll down until you find Other App Notifications. Click that, and you will get a list of all the apps on the phone. Untick all the ones you don't want and you're good to go.

• Advertisement

Ok... when you go to 'Notifications' untick the Gmail box. Then scroll down until you find Other App Notifications. Click that, and you will get a list of all the apps on the phone. Untick all the ones you don't want and you're good to go.

And note that these Other App notifications wouldn't work until you allow MetaWatch as an accessability app in android Settings->Accessibility.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    And note that these Other App notifications wouldn't work until you allow MetaWatch as an accessability app in android Settings->Accessibility.

Good point... forgot to mention that.

best explanation yet. thank you

Got a refund. And get to Keep the broken watch. Can't complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Got a refund. And get to Keep the broken watch. Can't complain!

What email address did you send the complaint to? I sent one on Monday and haven't heard anything yet

bidiots wrote: »
    Try this email: epic@ti.com

I contacted the support on the main page and had to fill out a 'proof of identity' form which was a bit of a pain but it must have worked. They contacted me on the email above so maybe its the easiest way

This is the email I used.

Only sent it yesterday and had a call today. Good support...provided you get the right email address it would seem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Only sent it yesterday and had a call today. Good support...provided you get the right email address it would seem!

Cheers, missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Support was good to be fair but the 2-3 week wait for the refund will scare me until I see the money:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Still no sign of mine. Nearly 2 weeks since I've ordered. Rechecked the address and no mistakes there.

I sent off an email and filled out some online complaint form. Hope to get a response soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i opened my watch to do a few jobs (properly align the hour hand, clean the inner glass and remove a fingerprint). and i took pics to make an instructable for you, but in the process of finding out how to remove the crown pin i found this...

http://sensorseverywhere.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/metawatch-platform-warranty-voided/

hes done a far better job than i could.

words of warning "all very delicate", "warranty voided" "only do if you dont mind binning the watch" "i'm not responsible"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bgrizzley wrote: »

This bit at the end:
    Here are the two OLED screens, flipped up.
    Finally, the watch is safely back together and working icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g for now

Reminds me of this -
    funny-how-to-draw-a-horse.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I just got an email that mine has shipped.

The excitement...

Still no sign of mine. Nearly 2 weeks since I've ordered. Rechecked the address and no mistakes there.

I sent off an email and filled out some online complaint form. Hope to get a response soon.

TI called and gave me the tracking number. Going up to the airport to collect it from DHL now.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    i opened my watch to do a few jobs (properly align the hour hand, clean the inner glass and remove a fingerprint). and i took pics to make an instructable for you, but in the process of finding out how to remove the crown pin i found this...

http://sensorseverywhere.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/metawatch-platform-warranty-voided/

words of warning "all very delicate", "warranty voided" "only do if you dont mind binning the watch" "i'm not responsible"

Definitely doing this so! Cheers!

Mine just arrived, I'ts a big watch, fair bit of heft to it. I'll put aside a couple of hours later to go through the thread and do what has to be done.
    Does it charge off the PC or could I use my phone charger (galaxy note 2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^^^
    I charged mine off my note 2 charger for about 4 or 5 hours before I started fiddling with it.
    Haven't had to charge it since, and its bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭extremehalo

Just received my pizza box today, have managed to upload the latest firmware..

For some reason I cannot pair it with either an iPhone 5 or Htc Desire HD, I know it stated somewhere that it was not suitable for iOS but someone else mentioned that it was....

Any advice? Am I overlooking something simple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Anyone get an email from them

"In order to empower your design we would like to recommend the HD3SS2521, the industry's first DockPort interface solution, delivering display, USB data and power on one cable. There is no better way to know if this product fits your needs than to try it out. Click here to order your free sample today!"

I've no idea what free items I just ordered off them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Got the e-mail.. and thought it was junk, and deleted it!

Thanks for the heads-up.. went back into my junk and ordered it! :D

• Advertisement

What is it? I've ordered 4 items and I've no idea what they are. I love this company :)

Del007 wrote: »
    What is it? I've ordered 4 items and I've no idea what they are. I love this company :)

It's a component. I think you'd use it if you were interested in designing a docking station for the watch.

Feck it, it's free. I'm getting one.

Data sheet here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/hd3ss2521.pdf

To be honest, it's useless unless you've experience in electronic engineering.

Its a chip! Don't ask for a free sample unless you know how to build a circuit board to use it!

Specifically it's a controller to allow a laptop to offer a DockPort connection. This is a new upcoming connection that allows for a single connection to output usb 3.0, enough displayport bandwidth to power 4 monitors and also to input power to laptop. All pretty cool :D

So, I would be astonished if this was of any use to anyone on this thread - lets not make ejits of ourselves by ordering one!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/31/ti-intros-single-chip-dockport-technology/

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/24/amd-finally-puts-dock-port-on-a-device/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqtVRPZSqvI

It's a component. I think you'd use it if you were interested in designing a docking station for the watch.

Feck it, it's free. I'm getting one.

Data sheet here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/hd3ss2521.pdf

To be honest, it's useless unless you've experience in electronic engineering.

I thought it Was an extra cable to charge the phone. Doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Anybody find resources on how to start developing for this thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm liking this watch. Nice styling and the alerts for an incoming call, email or sms work perfectly.

The only thing I can't work out is the button function.
    Double tap on the middle one brings up your widgets.
    Bottom one brings up the bluetooth, refresh, link alarm which is toggled on or off with the top button. There's also settings for some things called RST, NMI and SSP(Beta) which I have no idea about. Anyone else?

• Advertisement

Absolutely love it, haven't wore a watch for 20 years, gonna wear this. It notifies for everything. Viber, Whatsapp, futmob, twitter etc. Brilliant.

Update: Hangouts don't work, Things go apesh1t after a missed call. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Pique wrote: »
    There's also settings for some things called RST, NMI and SSP(Beta) which I have no idea about. Anyone else?

Just a guess from past experience but...

RST is usually short for Reset.

NMI is usually short for Non Maskable Interrupt (kinda like a ctrl-alt-delete) a hardware button that can stop the cpu and get it to do some other task and no other software can prevent it happening.

“Roll it back”

beno619 wrote: »
    Anybody find resources on how to start developing for this thing ?

Download Eclipse 4, not later ones, since Code Composer only works with 4.0
    http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/

Download Android SDK & Eclipse Plugin
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Download Code Composer Studio for MSP430
    http://www.ti.com/tool/ccstudio

Clone MWatch2 git repo for the firmware
    https://github.com/MetaWatchOpenProjects/MetaWatch-Gen2

Clone the git repo for MWM (this is the fork of community edition)
    https://github.com/benjymous/MWM-for-Android

Learn Java & C...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Mine arrived this morning :-)
    Plug it in and forget about it until I get home!

• Advertisement
Advertisement