Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do some apps not run on 3G but do on Wi-Fi?

• 09-09-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,499 ✭✭✭✭

Had this experience previously with the app that allows you to scan the QRcode in a Dublin taxi and get the driver's details - it worked no problem at home or any time I had an active Wi-Fi connection but when I went on to 3G it wouldn't work. Before anyone asks, you can manually type in a driver's number as an alternative to scanning the QRCode, that's how I tested it at home.

Happened again today in Ikea, I had my logon details stored and a couple of items in a shopping list but when I was in the store (no Wi-Fi) I couldn't do anything except logoff and login, couldn't get any product details or do a stock check. As soon as I got home it all worked no problem on my home Wi-Fi and when I disabled Wi-Fi it stopped working.

Phone is a Samsung SIII Mini running Android 4.1.2, it's on the latest firmware.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sounds like your data connection is not working over 3G ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

tallus wrote: »
    Sounds like your data connection is not working over 3G ?

It could be, but that wouldn't explain why it let him log in and out of an account, any chance there's no 3G coverage and you've been put on to the 2G network? If that happened it would take so long to load up some web pages that you'd think you had not internet connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you're with Three (pre-pay), the stupid filtering stops a lot of apps from working (in addition to blocking a lot of sites) so it *looks* as if an app doesn't work properly over 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

ethernet wrote: »
    If you're with Three (pre-pay), the stupid filtering stops a lot of apps from working (in addition to blocking a lot of sites) so it *looks* as if an app doesn't work properly over 3G.

I found with my time on three a few years ago, that if the 3G connection dropped out, the 2G connection had been throttled so far back that you may as well not have had an internet connection.

I remember years ago before 3G really took off that accessing a website on 2G was nowhere near as slow as it is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Some apps warn you of working over the phones data network, you can accept or decline this. Maybe you hit decline on a few of these apps accidentally. Maybe uninstall the affected apps and reinstall and try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,499 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I didn't bother to mention it (too much detail) but my data connection was fine, I have a 700MB allowance from O2 and I very rarely put a dent in it. I use data apps on the go all the time, includng Gmail with realtime alerts for incoming e-mails so there's nothing in my settings that says I don't want to use mobile data.

I had a decent data connection while in Ikea, in the cafeteria where there are windows on two sides I had an excellent signal but the app just wouldn't work.

The Ikea app won't work anywhere for me on 3G.

Advertisement