Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router in on campus accommodation

Options
  • 09-09-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Is there any way to use a router to get wifi in the accaccommodation on campus? And if so could someone recommend one and explain how to set it up please. Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I can't answer the which router or how to set it up, but just be aware that using a router is against the terms of your Licence Agreement. I've heard stories (anecdotal, so take with a pinch of salt) of people getting a knock on the door and being warned for having routers.

A short term solution (if you just want WiFi for your phone or a second laptop) would be to download a program called Virtual Router. Basically, you install that on your laptop/PC and you can create a WiFi network using it. Obviously you'll have to leave your laptop in your room connected to the line, but it's dead handy if you just want to use your phone in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Router are something they crack down on and I see people get disciplinary work (cleaning the apartment block, outside) for having one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As mentioned above you can't connect a router, but you can connect a network switch which basically allows multiple connections from one socket (wired though). I think the regulations say the device can't assign IP addresses which a router does.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Thanks I don't want to cause any problems so I guess a router is out of the question! I'm currently using mHotspot to have wifi for my phone and tablet but it doesn't reach the kitchen/living area which is annoying! What are the network switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You may be allowed connect a wireless access point but check with ITD first. TBH I'm surprised the villages don't have wireless APs already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement