Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Beef stew ?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 7:00pm

I really really want to make a beef stew tonight. The only beef I have though is thinly cut steaks.

I know they are not ideal, but would I get away with them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Jake1 wrote: »
    I really really want to make a beef stew tonight. The only beef I have though is thinly cut steaks.

I know they are not ideal, but would I get away with them

don't try it. You will end up with horrible tough meat and probably not a good sauce because there will be very little fat and other goodness from the meat to leak into it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A good beef stew takes a few hours, so you wouldn't be eating until very late if you're only starting now.

Also, irisheddie is right about the cut.

Cheers for the replies. I was going to make it tonight for tomorrow. Was going to simmer it for hours

Ill just wait and get the right meat.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ill just wait and get the right meat.
    = shin beef (trust me).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you can't get shin beef, get rib steak. Don't get round steak, it's too lean.

• Advertisement

Shin beef. Hmm, ok, thanks for the tip, Ill get that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

= shin beef (trust me).

Have to disagree there, I made beef stew with shoulder last week, best stew I've made. The meat was melty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shin beef always does it for me. Oxtail is another cut to consider also.

yeah, I do love oxtail, makes it really hearty.

Have to disagree there, I made beef stew with shoulder last week, best stew I've made. The meat was melty.

melty in your mouthy ? :D

• Advertisement

While, obviously, cattle have shoulders just as sheep and pigs do, I have never seen beef labelled as "shoulder".
    What specific cut are you talking about?
    Have you made a stew with shin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Shoulder is probably chuck steak? Or neck?

Either of those would make a decent stew I think.

beef_cuts.jpg

While, obviously, cattle have shoulders just as sheep and pigs do, I have never seen beef labelled as "shoulder".
    What specific cut are you talking about?
    Have you made a stew with shin?

Chuck, I would say, going by pwurple's diagram there. The diced braising steak, I would think. No need to be haughty.

Yup, made stew many times with shin. Much preferred it with "shoulder". Even the butcher advised against shin. And he was right!

Chuck, I would say, going by pwurple's diagram there. The diced braising steak, I would think. No need to be haughty.

Yup, made stew many times with shin. Much preferred it with "shoulder". Even the butcher advised against shin. And he was right!

Who's being haughty??
    I've never seen or heard of beef shoulder so I wondered what cut you were talking about.
    Also it's not uncommon for people to say x is best without ever trying y, hence my question about you trying shin.
    You're perfectly entitled to your opinion but please lay off with the accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Your butcher advised against shin and recommended a cut that he called "shoulder", your sure this was beef? If you're going to recommend a cut of meat that someone here is going to walk into a butcher and ask for then you needn't get so tetchy when someone questions it.
    The body shape of cattle is quite different to humans(re the position of the shoulder)

Your butcher advised against shin and recommended a cut that he called "shoulder", your sure this was beef? If you're going to recommend a cut of meat that someone here is going to walk into a butcher and ask for then you needn't get so tetchy when someone questions it.
    The body shape of cattle is quite different to humans(re the position of the shoulder)

Oh dear Lord.

Yes, that was what he said, yes it was beef. And it was excellent, much nicer than shin.

Here are some recipes with this cut you have never heard of:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-beef-stew-recipe2/index.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braisedshoulderofbee_88665

As well as a (cited) Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_tender

But none of these people know what they're talking about. Amiright?

Oh dear Lord.

Yes, that was what he said, yes it was beef. And it was excellent, much nicer than shin.

Here are some recipes with this cut you have never heard of:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-beef-stew-recipe2/index.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braisedshoulderofbee_88665

As well as a (cited) Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_tender

But none of these people know what they're talking about. Amiright?

Listen, you got thick with another poster for wondering what it is you were talking about, they didn't do it in a nasty way. This is an irish forum, the cut of beef you mentioned is something that is not referred to as shoulder in Ireland, I had never heard of it, the other poster hadn't either, I've been in hundreds of butchers and haven't seen anything labelled thus. Try not to be so tetchy.

A shoulder tender[1][2] also called beef shoulder petite tender,[3] beef shoulder tender petite roast,[4] bistro filet, rat or teres major steak

This is the link you provided, I've never heard of any of them either, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Mother always uses leg beef in beef stews, very tender. I buy it from her local butcher when I visit her. Also oxtail. You can't beat either in a stew. Steak is edible in stews but its not for stewing. The odd time I throw in a can of tomatoes for an extra flavour.

Listen, you got thick with another poster for wondering what it is you were talking about, they didn't do it in a nasty way. This is an irish forum, the cut of beef you mentioned is something that is not referred to as shoulder in Ireland, I had never heard of it, the other poster hadn't either, I've been in hundreds of butchers and haven't seen anything labelled thus. Try not to be so tetchy.

And asked me if I ever tried shin. One of the links is the BBC Food site, we tend to have the same names for cuts as the UK. And the butcher was in Irelandtown so... yeah. Chuck is another name for it too. I'm sure you've heard of that? And just because you've never heard of them, doesn't mean nobody has.

I also seriously doubt you've been in "hundreds" of butcher shops.

And asked me if I ever tried shin. One of the links is the BBC Food site, we tend to have the same names for cuts as the UK. And the butcher was in Irelandtown so... yeah. Chuck is another name for it too. I'm sure you've heard of that? And just because you've never heard of them, doesn't mean nobody has.

I also seriously doubt you've been in "hundreds" of butcher shops.

Well I'll have to confess I've never heard of Irelandtown either, I assume it's in Ireland.
    I HAVE been in lots of butchers shops, certainly well over a hundred, I absolutely love them, I'm sad that way, I often walk into one with no intention of buying anything, just to see what it's like.
    Like the other poster I hadn't ever heard of shoulder of beef in the same way you would hear shoulder of lamb or pork. I know that cattle have a bodypart which could be described as shoulder, just never heard of it referred to as that. I haven't a clue about you, if I'm honest I probably thought it was shoulder of lamb you meant, I've used that in stews and it's really good. You seem a bit sensitive in the tone of your replies, I don't think the beer guy meant you any disrespect.

• Advertisement

April, your links to prove your point are quite funny:D

The first is an American site - they have completely different terminology and butchering methods to Ireland.

The second is a British recipe. In Britain, despite your claims to the contrary, the methods and terminology of butchering are quite different to ours.

And the last wiki link refers to a shoulder tender - something I'd previously never heard of - but on reading about it, would never be used for stewing. (I'm going to be asking my progressive butcher about that cut - sounds fantastic for flash frying or BBQing)

Nobody tried to deny that cattle have, like sheep and pigs, an area that could be described as shoulder which would of course produce meat that could be described as shoulder. The point I was making was that, in Ireland, I have never seen or heard of a cut of beef being sold or labelled as shoulder and I was curious to know what cut (in Irish butchering terms) you were talking about. I just wanted to know. If that makes me haughty, then I guess I don't understand your usage of that term either.

Yes, I did ask you if you had tried shin beef for stewing. How could I possibly know whether you had or not? As I said, many people claim x is best, having never tried Y. There are many parts of an animal one can stew and everyone has their favourites but who has genuinely tried stewing every possible part? Not me certainly. So while I claim shin is best, I'd be lying if I said I have identified every bit of meat for stewing on a beast and tried it.

I really don't know why you got so upset.
    Like Swiper said, I didn't mean any disrespect.

OP how did your stew turn out and what did you use in the end?:D

After all this talk yesterday I couldn't resist making a nice stew today, I dreamt about it last night, I've ended up using rib steak, couldn't get shin and get this, I'm having it with roast potatoes(it was in the dream). It's got lots of mushrooms(mixed variety), shallots, carrots, thyme, 1 can O'Hara's stout and water. I'll have it for tonights dinner but really looking forward to tomorrow.

OP how did your stew turn out and what did you use in the end?:D

Funny you should ask, I was just about to tell yiz all.
    We just finished it a while ago. I used Shoulder of beef , Dear God it was delicious, I cooked the meat last night for about two hours. Then added the veg today, and cooked again for about an hour. I not joking when I say , I couldnt pick up the beef itwas so tender, just kept falling apart.
    Im stuffed to the gills now.

EDIT: Served with baby potatoes mashed with salt pepper butter and milk.
    Another edit : I actually feel like Ive eaten a huge christmas dinner. need a nap :))

I used Shoulder of beef))

Hmmm, the plot thickens;)

I not joking when I say , I couldnt pick up the beef itwas so tender, just kept falling apart.

That doesn't sound so good to me. I like a bit of bite to my meat while still being tender.
    This is why I like shin so much and the flavour is great too. If you keep going with the cooking it will also fall apart - great for chilli or pulled beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I'm making a stew this weekend and was going to use shin beef until the butcher suggested using some cheeks instead. I think he was out of shin.

Anyway, I was going to braise the cheeks in red wine / stock / veg and serve with some sweet potato mash.

I'll post a pic when its done. Has anyone any other suggestions on stewing beef cheeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

These: http://food52.com/recipes/2731-barbacoa-beef-cheek-tacos

You won't regret it. Don't neglect the pickled onions, though I skip the coriander and the beet, and just use red onion instead.

I love beef cheeks, though Buckley's keep putting the price up. They're great braised with soy and star anise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

emaleth wrote: »
    These: http://food52.com/recipes/2731-barbacoa-beef-cheek-tacos

You won't regret it. Don't neglect the pickled onions, though I skip the coriander and the beet, and just use red onion instead.

I love beef cheeks, though Buckley's keep putting the price up. They're great braised with soy and star anise as well.

Wow, they look delicious. Thanks.

Advertisement