Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Coop offer on Pigsback.com - Worth getting?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of getting chickens for some time now and just saw this offer for a chicken coop on pigsback.com

I'd be getting the smaller one for 198 euro, more details on it here.

Any advice on whether this is good value? Is it good for a starter coop? I have a reasonably big garden, living in Terenure. Had been thinking about getting a moveable 'ark' type coop but they are nearly double the price.

All advice gratefully received.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

If you're going to let them free range, or build your own run (which you can do fairly cheaply), I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.greenhenworks.com/Alp%20Details.htm

I got one a few months ago and it's really sturdy and came fully assembled. They're Irish made so will stand up to our weather a lot better than the one you linked to, which looks like an imported flat pack job. The run on that one is awfully small, chickens are happiest when they have plenty of space to wander around in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

The flat packed hen houses are no good at all,I bought one a few years ago & it is falling apart.Its also way too small for the amount of hens that it says it can hold.I only use it now when one of the hens has chicks.
    You would be much better off making your own or getting someone to make one for you.It will cost a lot less and last a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

fathead82 wrote: »
    The flat packed hen houses are no good at all,I bought one a few years ago & it is falling apart.Its also way too small for the amount of hens that it says it can hold.I only use it now when one of the hens has chicks.
    You would be much better off making your own or getting someone to make one for you.It will cost a lot less and last a lot longer.

Well said, these hen houses you see at agricultural shows and the like are remarkably overpriced.

They basically consist of a few bits of timber and some chicken wire. A local carpenter would knock you together something just as good in a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I have to agree with the others. The ones you linked to don't look like they would stand up to the Irish winters. A simpler, sturdier design is best.

My husband made this one off plans he bought on ebay, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It survived the really bad winters we had in the last 5 years, and we recently sold it on after a quick lick of paint.

http://www.spiraltopia.com/chickencoopplan/

The coop is a very similar design to the one suggested above, with a run also. If you are not inclined to go the DIY route, just try to avoid the flat pack route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

E198 isnt bad for a starter pack, but I cant emphasise enough to new hen keepers, that amount of space for the hens to spend in all the day is TOTALLY INADEQUATE - unless you are going to let them free range for the majority of the day. Seriously - a hen will scratch that small enclosed space bare in about 2 days. A set up like that is impossible to move about to keep them on grass.

Any kind of house that is draught-free, dry, with a door that can be closed at night is absolutely fine - they only spend the night in it and lay in it. The place to spend your money, if you cant let them free range, is on the run. Make it as big and secure as you possibly can. Put a net roof on it to keep wild birds out, and buy some sort of covered feeders (or someplace their food - layers pellets - can be kept dry all day)

Good luck if you get some hens - great pasttime/hobby and the eggs are a huge bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭seandalaiocht

Wow, thanks a million for all the advice!

I think I will definitely stay away from the flat pack. Will probably build one myself now. Thanks for the links. Are there any good sites I should visit to get more info/education on keeping hens?

In terms of a run vs free range. I have about forty foot by twenty foot of grass/flowers. Would that be enough for two or three hens? My worry is that we have a dog who might react badly to them. He is only a year and very friendly and non-aggressive so I’m hoping he will settle in with them. A run would allow me to separate them though.

Is it ok to leave them out in the garden all day? Is there not a danger from fox/mink? I see a lot of foxes when I’m out walking the dog in the evening.

Thanks again for all the comments! Getting excited about the hens now, think it will be brilliant for my young daughter to see where eggs come from :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

A website that I find really good for hen info/advice is DOWNTHELANE.NET (click on FORUM then CHICKEN KEEPING)

20x40 would be great for the hens - there wont be much in the way of flowers left after a couple of weeks though :rolleyes:

If you see foxes when you are walking your dogs, the hens will be a major attracation to them - nothing worse than having nice laying hens, good pets, then the blasted fox kills them :mad: You could let them free range for a bit during the day when you are around (be warned, they wont be happy in a run, once you give them a taste of free-ranging!!) Make sure to put a door on their coop to close them in at night.

Let your dog inspect the hens in their run, when you get them. You will soon see how aggressive he seems. If they are free ranging you need to be 100% sure of him if hes out in the yard at the same time. (My two jack russels & collie, ignore the hens completely - I put them on the leash when the hens were loose, if they went near the hens, they were 'roared' at - many years later, no problems still - tho the hens peck/bully the youngest dog)

Advertisement