Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First pc build

Options
  • 09-09-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

1. What is your budget? [€600-700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming; Path of Exile, Battlefield, Arma2, Planetside etc..

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22"

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard, speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank transfer, Visa Debit

9. When are you purchasing? In the next few weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed, experienced pc-builder mate who will help set me up

Had a very similar thread up here a few months ago, but cash flow meant I had to put aside my dreams of having a gaming pc. Hope someone can help me piece together a nice little build for me to get me rolling! I could stretch to 750e but beyond that I can't afford it! Really appreciate any help I can get :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Kagawa10

Item|Price
    AMD FX-6300 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€101.96
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 760, 2GB DDR5|€228.89
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.39
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€45.89
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€55.51
    8GB-Kit Kingston HyperX blu.XMP PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-27|€64.00
    LG Flatron 22EA53VQ-P|€127.91
    ASRock 980DE3/U3S3, AM3+, ATX|€54.59
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€730.13

Better CPU cooler and SSD will be another 80 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lezflano

660ti would save some money and there isn't much difference in the performance
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/64931/Gigabyte+GeForce+GTX+660Ti+OC%2C+2GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort.article

Get a keyboard off of amazon I'd personally recommend this one its pretty good http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-PX-1000-Backlit-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B009CQYPF4/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

lezflano wrote: »
    660ti would save some money and there isn't much difference in the performance
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/64931/Gigabyte+GeForce+GTX+660Ti+OC%2C+2GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort.article

Get a keyboard off of amazon I'd personally recommend this one its pretty good http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-PX-1000-Backlit-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B009CQYPF4/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_y

I second this. A 660 ti power edition will only cost 190 euro. Savings better spent elsewhere.

And the Benq 22 inch monitor only cost 100. More savings.

So that has saved 50 euro.

And just my opinion get only 4 gigs of ram as it is quite expensive at the momen. You only need 4 for gaming. And can pick up another 4 when price comes down. This will save you 30 euro.

Meaning you have 80 euro to play with.

An SSD will mean cutting loading times?

Or maybe get a better processer. Most games only use one or 2 cores and the Intel cores be stronger for such games. Arma in particular. Again just my opinion. But you will notice people with AMD don't get as good frames in arma2 or arma3(which is still in beta) and I know you will want to play at some point.

But That said AMD is a good budget CPU. And will serve you well. Not sure if you could squeeze Intel into the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Huntseeker

Thanks for the info everyone, just a few questions about the set up so far:

What kind of performance difference is there between the 660ti and the GTX 760?

Is there much of a difference between the Benq monitor and the LG?

I would like to get an SSD as I dont think I'll be needing huge amounts of storage space, but what kind of price difference would there be between that and a disk drive?

Also, if anyone knows any other ways of saving a few bob for the build it'd be much appreciated, even just food for thought about swapping things out so I have a few options to look into.

Thanks for your time everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Kagawa's build is about as good as you will get on that budget. You could go for the 660ti to get back under budget. It's only slightly worse performing than the 760 gtx.

I would just change the board to this and the case to this

You can always add an ssd and better cpu cooler later.

• Advertisement

The cost difference between the SSD and the harddrive is 30 euro. So 56 for HDD, 86 for solid state drive. With savings from monitor and graphics card change,you could do it.

The solid state is only 120 gb , now factor into that your windows installation takes up about 30 gigs. So you will have 80 gb free.

Personally I would do this if storage is not a problem for you. As you can add a HDD later. And you want windows installation done on the SSD as it boots up faster and cuts load times.

Were if you go with HDD and add a SSD later then you have to uninstall windows from hdd and put it onto the SSD.

Do you get what I mean?

Games are pushing 30gb+. A 120gb ssd does not cut it for gaming.

You're better off having a 120gb ssd for windows and your non game programs and use a 1tb WD blue for your games.

You could of course go with the ssd now and get the hdd later. I wouldn't cut back on the monitor to do this though.

So as far as I can tell the SSD will reduce load and boot times, while the hdd will just be nice and huge and mean im not pushed for space if I want to have a few things on it at the same time? As it's my first build I reckon I'd probably go for the hdd, if you saw what I'm typing this on currently you'd see that the load times and boot times from the hdd will be a massive improvement from what I currently am putting up with :) Like you said I could get an ssd later on and put windows onto that and then enjoy super fast loading etc.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Benq and the LG monitors?

The lg's have better ips panels giving better viewing angles and more vibrant color reproduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

lezflano wrote: »

Using this keyboard myself. It's excellent.

If you're looking for a mouse I'd suggest this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help guys, gonna put my order in in the next few days, I'll let you know when it's done and what I went for. Also I'll let you know how happy I am when I get it built :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Guys, which would be best for gaming, 670 or 760?

Reason I ask is there's a new 670 going for €230 on adverts, if it's better it could improve the build for no extra cost.

It depends on the stock speeds. They are pretty neck and neck but the 670 is slightly ahead clock or clock.

Get something a good cooler so you can get the most out of the clock speeds anyway.

What is exact brand make model.

Link it here

If it is gigabyte oc version.

One on scan for same price maybe with delivery 250. But your buying from a company. So you.get piece of mind for that 15 to 20 euro extra

If you are going ahead and buyng do not give 230 offer 200 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

What is exact brand make model.

Link it here

If it is gigabyte oc version.

One on scan for same price maybe with delivery 250. But your buying from a company. So you.get piece of mind for that 15 to 20 euro extra

If you are going ahead and buyng do not give 230 offer 200 first.

Yeah it's a Gigabyte OC 2GB same as Scan, Link is here http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-670-oc-2gb-gddr5-2x-dvi-hdmi-displayport/3750470

I'd even go and offer €180, you never know the person might need the cash in a hurry. still... €230's a good price for it.

Advertisement