Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost estimation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Most places would charge €80 an hour, to my very untrained eye that looks like it'll take at least 6 hours (probably more tbh) so you're probably looking €500+ for that

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

P_1 wrote: »
    Most places would charge €80 an hour, to my very untrained eye that looks like it'll take at least 6 hours (probably more tbh) so you're probably looking €500+ for that

Absolutely. There's a lot more to it than how it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Ah serious :/ oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mahogany wrote: »
    Ah serious :/ oh well..

You get what you pay for ;), cost and time is really hard thing for anyone to guess in all honesty apart from the artist you choose but you would certainly be looking at a few hundred minimum for a piece of that size and detail, although that piece itself doesn't even look finished yet.

If it's what you want paying good money to get a good artist will stand you in the long run don't cheap it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

500-1000, can't see all of it and it's unfinished int he picture you linked.

Don't worry about the cost, I'd rather wait an extra 6 months than get it done now by an inferior artist.

• Advertisement

Thanks for you help guys, I knew full well it wouldnt be cheap I was just expecting around 200 not 500 lol,

How about a smaller version, like just the top half of the upper arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Thanks for you help guys, I knew full well it wouldnt be cheap I was just expecting around 200 not 500 lol,

not cheap??? You think 200 is normal for a tattoo??? jesus christ, the top half alone just to outline would cost over 200

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Again it depends on studio/artist.

Best thing to do is save up and get what you really want rather than going for the cheap option and ending up not being happy with the tattoo. €500-1000 is really not a lot considering it's something that's going to be permanently on your body. You can even get it done in a few sittings to give you time to save for the next session. As a general rule good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good.

Thanks for your help guys, decided I'm gonna do it in stages. Just can't decide whether to get the buddhas face first or the flower first haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Hey guys sorry to hijack the thread, was wondering if I could get a cost estimation on this:

Fo1sSJo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As posted elsewhere, all tattoos are essentially free. So, say you pay a grand at age 25, with a life expectancy of 85 years, that (as tattoos are a lifetime purchase) works out at a cost of 0.05 cent per day of use. You'd have to be paying five figures for a tattoo to show up as costing even a penny a day. There's an upfront 'price', but over the lifetime of the tattoo you buy, it's essentially free.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

endacl wrote: »
    As posted elsewhere, all tattoos are essentially free. So, say you pay a grand at age 25, with a life expectancy of 85 years, that (as tattoos are a lifetime purchase) works out at a cost of 0.05 cent per day of use. You'd have to be paying five figures for a tattoo to show up as costing even a penny a day. There's an upfront 'price', but over the lifetime of the tattoo you buy, it's essentially free.

;)

Don't suppose you know any artists who'll take 0.05c off me daily for the rest of my life instead of an upfront payment then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd be estimating 150 euro or so per character. But of course it depends on size, where you go etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Orim wrote: »
    I'd be estimating 150 euro or so per character. But of course it depends on size, where you go etc.

Jeez. I'd put it at 250-300 for the whole lot.

Adiboo wrote: »

I like to over-estimate, just in case. Plus generally you have a wad of cash for when you finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah 250 sounds more like it. I reckon you could still go to a good studio and get it for less. Not a lot of work has to go into preparing it and they'll colour it in quick.

Orim wrote: »
    I like to over-estimate, just in case. Plus generally you have a wad of cash for when you finish.

I wish I had that habit :p

Yeah, just looking at my forearm, it probably is way off but I'd still be going in with about 500 available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My right arm has cost me circa 3500, not including flights and accommodation to visit the artists in question.

I have worked in tattoo parlours for years now, I could have gotten it all for free if i wanted. Saving money isn't everything.

Yeah added up what I've spent so far the last day and nearly died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

fewtins wrote: »
    Yeah added up what I've spent so far the last day and nearly died.

You just made me work out how much I've spent jasus :eek:, worth every cent though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lmcm

hi, I was thinking of a single stem rose down my thigh in colour with letters d and d on either side...I know you pay for quality, but how much would be to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

20 grand would be too much, definately 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Adiboo wrote: »

I'd have went €200-€250 ~ I'd feel hard done by if I was quoted €300 for that.

Advertisement