Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do i put samsung s4 into charge only mode when connected via usb?

• 09-09-2013 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

it only gives me option to connect as media device (mtp) or camera (ptp). i would like to be able to charge via usb without setting off various antivirus scanners and without opening my phone information up to potentially corrrupt pcs.

my old phone (s3) used to have the option im sure.

any suggestions? i dont really want to have a buy a "charge only" usb cable - because id rather be able to use any cable.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

If you don't select either does the phone charge anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

new_maniac wrote: »
    If you don't select either does the phone charge anyway?

One is always selected by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Would installing the drivers do the job. Or as you plug in, cancel the driver installation. Maybe....

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Would installing the drivers do the job. Or as you plug in, cancel the driver installation. Maybe....

It still sets off various av scanners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Use a less annoying av scanner so. MSE doesn't seem to go crazy when a usb drive appears.

You say "scanners" - plural. How many exactly do you have installed?

• Advertisement

i dont always have a choice on which av scanner is in use on the pc im connecting to.

take for example a work pc or an internet cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

You could buy a charge only cable?

i dont want to buy a charge only cable as i say, i just want the option on my phone. i can't even work out why they got rid of the option in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Its not an option on mine either which is odd, same as you preciously on HTC I could choose charge only without my work PC detecting my phone. Seems like a regressive move!

Try looking in the PC connections in settings, on my HTC there is an option 'Default connection type'...see if you can set it to 'charge only' in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a pin or something when you open the phone normally?
    I find that when I use pattern or pin the phone won't allow any data connection besides charging when on usb. This might prevent scanners etc.

biko wrote: »
    Is there a pin or something when you open the phone normally?
    I find that when I use pattern or pin the phone won't allow any data connection besides charging when on usb. This might prevent scanners etc.

No the problem is the opposite, Random is trying to get the phone to only charge when connected to a PC, rather than for transferring files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes and my point is that my phone (Note on 4.1.1) does just that, but only when I use pin or pattern as protection.
    A pattern protected phone might only charge, not allowing communication so maybe the PC won't pick it up as a device (it probably will anyway but worth a shot).

biko wrote: »
    Yes and my point is that my phone (Note on 4.1.1) does just that, but only when I use pin or pattern as protection.
    A pattern protected phone might only charge, not allowing communication so maybe the PC won't pick it up as a device (it probably will anyway but worth a shot).

Ah okay, It's definitely worth a shot

ill try that out with the pin. i dunno if that would help as such either though because sometimes i like to text while its charging which means i would need to unlock it.

to the person who mentioned the default connection type on their htc - no such thing on the samsung.

Advertisement