Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zimmermann at it again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

"Zimmerman was subsequently taken into custody, treated for head injuries, then questioned for five hours. The police chief said that Zimmerman was released because there was no evidence to refute Zimmerman's claim of having acted in self-defense, and that under Florida's Stand Your Ground statute, the police were prohibited by law from making an arrest.[18] The police chief also said that Zimmerman had had a right to defend himself with lethal force"

certain people didn't get the result they wanted so they created their own facts :confused::confused::confused:

There was no evidence to refute his claim because no investigation had taken place at that stage. When you are questioned after an incident police merely attempt to gather information such as your alibi, your movements, your version of events. They also question other witnesses. This is referred to as statements. You could have walked into someone's house, murdered them and then walked out. You could then have been questioned by police and told them you were asleep all day in your house and said nothing more. Right there they would have no evidence to arrest you either.....until an INVESTIGATION is conducted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

MonaPizza wrote: »
    There was no evidence to refute his claim because no investigation had taken place at that stage. When you are questioned after an incident police merely attempt to gather information such as your alibi, your movements, your version of events. They also question other witnesses. This is referred to as statements. You could have walked into someone's house, murdered them and then walked out. You could then have been questioned by police and told them you were asleep all day in your house and said nothing more. Right there they would have no evidence to arrest you either.....until an INVESTIGATION is conducted.

But is it worth their time? They can't fully investigate absolutely every thing that goes on. They only have limited resources.

So they question Z for five hours. The questioning detective, who presumably has some training and experience in the matter concludes that either he's a pathological liar, or he's telling the truth. Physical evidence and witness statements taken at the scene certainly do not give any indication that there was wrongdoing, and, indeed, seem to support his version of the facts. So after this preliminary investigation (there's no other word for it), a judgement call is made that there is no percentage in wasting time and money on this, so let's move onto a crime we know has happened: A professional judgment subsequently borne out at trial.

Your "I was asleep"counter example does not fly because in such a case the police are faced with a body and no apparently believable explanation of how it got there. More investigation is required to get a satisfactory explanation. Contrast with "I did it, this is why I believe I was acting legally" and you can see the difference.

Indeed arguably the only net result of the whole handling of the case was a waste of taxpayer money, and a police chief who was fired for making what proved to be the correct decisions. Unless you're a politician, which you can argue if that should be his job or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just on page 1 meself.
    Was thinking the same thing and hey presto, the un-named arrives to fix the world. (again).

Edit. just clicked on some of the later pages and the un-named is still going full steam, must be tired ranting at this stage so Ill speak on their behalf.

Oh so because theres a page 1 that automatically means theres a page 2

A clear sign of thoughtless bias.

By default the un-named is already designated with a name, proof that you're a part of the unreasonable anti-gun lobby. When you say 'hey presto' its clear you're suggesting some kind of co-incidence, show me where if you can....Im betting you cant.

Well maybe the world does need to be fixed.

Can you point to where I previously fixed it. Further bending of the truth.
    Can you tell me who the un named is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

It's a funny old world. In Ireland Zimmerman would be serving time for murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a funny old world. In Ireland Zimmerman would be serving time for murder.

Why do you think that? You are legally allowed to defend yourself here in Ireland too.

The only difference between here and there in this case is the fact that Zimmerman was allowed a gun for self defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Acquitted last year in the death of Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman said he’s homeless, jobless and suffers from post traumatic stress disorder.
    Zimmerman, 30, made those comments during an interview with Univision which aired Sunday evening.
    During the interview Zimmerman said he initially thought that his bullet missed Martin and had hit a neighbor’s home. He also expressed no regrets about the shooting.
    As for his financial situation, Zimmerman said he owes $2.5 million to his lawyers. He added he’s living off his family for now. As for income, Zimmerman said he’s raised more than $300 thousand online from donors and said he hopes to collect more money through a lawsuit he’s filed against NBC News over and edited 9-1-1 call.
    In speaking with CNN’s Chris Cuomo, Zimmerman maintains he acted in self-defense when he shot Martin as the two struggled. As for those who accused him of being a racist, he said they don’t understand his family.
    “I actually had two full Peruvians raising me and one American. So I felt almost like two-thirds of my upbringing was that of Pervuvian. I have black people in my family so it was very shocking to me that simply based of my last name, people would make that presumption,” said Zimmerman.
    Zimmerman said during a 2012 bond hearing he apologized to Martin’s family and would like to apologize again.
    The U.S. Department of Justice is still investigating for possible civil rights violations related to the case, but charges aren’t expected.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/02/17/george-zimmerman-im-homeless-broke/

I hope his case against NBC gets him millions. He deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Amazingfun wrote: »
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/02/17/george-zimmerman-im-homeless-broke/

I hope his case against NBC gets him millions. He deserves it.
    really? why does he deserve it? because he killed someone? he deserves nothing as i'd doubt the call was edited, clutching at straws is all he's doing, trying to keep himself in the limelight

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

really? why does he deserve it? because he killed someone? he deserves nothing as i'd doubt the call was edited, clutching at straws is all he's doing, trying to keep himself in the limelight

The courts say that the killing was lawful because it was self defence, but yes, he deserves nothing because of that.

However, the 911 call was edited when it was played on the TV and radio. At the time of the case, the full recording was played to the court and it was different to the shortened version that had been broadcast earlier.

The shortened version was edited in such a way as to make Zimmerman sound much more "anti-black" if that's the correct way of saying it.

Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. ...

Zimmerman: Hey, we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy-- it's Retreat View Circle. The best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: Okay, and this guy is he White, Black, or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks Black.

Dispatcher: Did you see what he was wearing?

Zimmerman: Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's [unintelligible] he was just staring...

Dispatcher: Okay, he's just walking around the area...

Zimmerman: ...looking at all the houses.

Dispatcher: Okay.

Zimmerman: Now he's just staring at me.

Dispatcher: Okay--you said it's 1111 Retreat View? Or 111?

Zimmerman: That's the clubhouse...

Dispatcher: That's the clubhouse, do you know what the-- he's near the clubhouse right now?

Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me.

Dispatcher: Okay.

Zimmerman: He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male.

Dispatcher: How old would you say he looks?

Zimmerman: He's got button on his shirt, late teens.

Dispatcher: Late teens, ok.

Zimmerman: Something's wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out, he's got something in his hands, I don't know what his deal is.

Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything, okay?

Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?

Dispatcher: Yeah, we've got someone on the way, just let me know if this guy does anything else.

Zimmerman: Okay. These assholes they always get away. When you come to the clubhouse, you come straight in, and make a left. Actually, you would go past the clubhouse.

Dispatcher: So, it's on the left-hand side from the clubhouse?

Zimmerman: No, you go in, straight through the entrance, and then you make a left-- you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. ****, he's running.

Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?

Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.

Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?

Zimmerman: The back entrance... ****ing punks.

Dispatcher: Are you following him?

Zimmerman: Yeah.

Dispatcher: Okay, we don't need you to do that.

Zimmerman: Okay.

Dispatcher: Alright, sir, what is your name?

Zimmerman: George. He ran.

Dispatcher: All right, George. What's your last name?

Zimmerman: Zimmerman.

Dispatcher: And George what's the phone number you're calling from?

Zimmerman: [redacted]

Dispatcher: All right, George. We do have them on the way. Do you want to meet with the officer when they get out there?

Dispatcher: All right, where you going to meet with them at?

Zimmerman: If they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the clubhouse. And uh, straight past the clubhouse, and make a left. And then they go past the mailboxes, that's my truck... [unintelligible]

Dispatcher: What address are you parked in front of?

Zimmerman: I don't know. It's a cut through, so I don't know the address.

Dispatcher: Okay, do you live in the area?

Zimmerman: Yeah, I... [unintelligible]

Dispatcher: What's your apartment number?

Zimmerman: It's a home. It's 1950-- Oh, crap. I don't want to give it all out, I don't know where this kid is.

Dispatcher: Okay, do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes then?

Zimmerman: Yeah, that's fine.

Dispatcher: All right, George. I'll let them know to meet you around there okay?

Zimmerman: Actually could you have them call me and I'll tell them where I'm at?

Dispatcher: Okay, yeah, that's no problem.

Zimmerman: Should I give you my number or you got it?

Dispatcher: Yeah, I got it. [redacted]?

Zimmerman: Yeah, you got it.

Dispatcher: Okay, no problem, I'll let them know to call you when you're in the area.

Zimmerman: Thanks.

He sounded pissed off in that phone call but not racist. He was asked directly if the person was hispanic,black, white etc and that was why he said "he looks black".
    The recording aired on NBC's "Today" show on March 27, when the audio viewers heard suggested that Zimmerman volunteered to police, without provocation, that Martin was black: "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black."

But the tape had been edited, and the portion where the 911 dispatcher specifically asks Zimmerman if the person in question was "black, white or Hispanic," was deleted.

Which version sounds more racist to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

In fairness, that full transcript makes it sound like he has a chip on his shoulder and was looking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Can't believe that there are some cretins on here attempting to defend this guy!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

some one who doesn't agree with you ? the bastards !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Bloody Woody Guthrie rip off, Judas gone electric sell out !

...oh wrong Zimmerman !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

In fairness, that full transcript makes it sound like he has a chip on his shoulder and was looking for trouble.

He sounds like someone who always wanted to be the person in charge, the person with the authority, but possibly got rejected by the police/armycoastguard/lifeguards after psychological testing so joined the neighbourhood watch so he could march around the streets with his loaded weapon.

Can't believe that there are some cretins on here attempting to defend this guy!

I'm not defending Zimmerman for all his actions.

In my opinion, Zimmerman is a clown. Nothing he does covers him in glory.

That said, I do think he shot Trayvon Martin in self defence.

Could Zimmerman have avoided the confrontation that led to the shooting - yes.

Could Martin have avoided the confrontation that led to the shooting - yes.

The facts that are available to us are that a confrontation happened, Martin and Zimmerman were in a struggle and Martin got shot. Zimmerman claims Martin pretty much ambushed him from the bushes and that's why he had to shoot him in self defence.

It does sound like a believable tale of events because if I had a gun and wanted to shoot somebody, I wouldn't wait until they were hopping my head off the ground, I'd shoot them from about 20 feet away where I would be in relative safety.

If Martin was afraid of Zimmerman and ran off, why didn't he keep running and just run home. If he had kept on runing, he'd probably be alive today. That's partly why I believe Zimmerman's tale of events.

Do I think that Zimmerman is a cretin, yes.

Do I think he murdered Martin, hell no.

LoL, so if you're not defending him what are you attempting to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    He sounds like someone who always wanted to be the person in charge, the person with the authority, but possibly got rejected by the police/armycoastguard/lifeguards after psychological testing so joined the neighbourhood watch so he could march around the streets with his loaded weapon.

Have you any way of backing up the claims you have made against Mr Zimmermann in what jobs he may or may not have applied for in his younger days?

The world would be a better place if more people showed the type of heart George did when taking out a gang banger up to no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

GZ was found not guilty by a jury of his peers. If you have some additional evidence not seen or heard before please present it.

I am not defending him as a person.

I'm just saying that the criticism he got over the death of Trayvon Martin was unwarranted.

It looked to me like a case of self defense. The jury agreed.

Found not guilty by a majority white jury!

At the end of the day he shot and killed an unarmed kid, after following him despite being told not to by the officer he spoke with when calling 911!

He went looking for a situation that wasn't there and got it, killed an innocent kid and got away with it scot-free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At the end of the day he shot and killed an unarmed kid, after following him despite being told not to by the officer he spoke with when calling 911!

He went looking for a situation that wasn't there and got it, killed an innocent kid and got away with it scot-free!

jesus f**k monkey christ. They just keep coming

he was'nt told not to by the police. Even if you put and exclamation mark behind it it's still bull****

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

[QUOTE=RollieFingers;89120257]Found not guilty by a majority white jury!

He went looking for a situation that wasn't there and got it, killed an innocent kid and got away with it scot-free![/QUOTE]

whats the ethnic make up of the jury got to do with it ? sure it was a Hispanic with a Jewish sounding name shooting a black kid !! should it have been a black jury ? or Hispanic ? or native Indian ? do you not think the jury was vetted and questioned and vetted again in a case where the president of the nation made a comment that blatantly favored a conviction? are you saying it wasnt a fair trial ? with the whole world watching.

or there's the other possibility. that you dont have all the facts and that zimmerman dd nothing wrong or is the fact that a black teenager was in the wrong too much for you

Bambi wrote: »
    jesus f**k monkey christ. They just keep coming

he was'nt told not to by the police. Even if you put and exclamation mark behind it it's still bull****

So what were they telling him to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

/

What authority does a dispatcher have over a citizen in this situation?
    None.

Covered a million times already. Zimmerman was acquitted, get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

What does it matter the colour of somebodies skin? Are you saying white people cant sit on a jury? Zimmerman is hispanic. Trayvon was black. I would usually place as much importance on skin colour as eye colour but if forced to choose a colour Id say white would be the most partial.
    During jury profiling maybe all black people questioned screamed murder before the trial. Maybe all hispanic people claimed self defence.
    If you get in a fight in that state be prepared to be shot as the law states. At anytime the young lad was waiting to ambush the older fella he could have went home.
    He didnt. Tragic story but guns are legal there. I think thats what needs to be addressed. If it had of been a black older man it would have been the same verdict. It would not have got the same press though. This leads me to believe black peoples racism towards white people is still a huge problem.

MadsL wrote: »
    /

What authority does a dispatcher have over a citizen in this situation?
    None.

Covered a million times already. Zimmerman was acquitted, get over it.

I wasn't discussing authority, I simply said that he was told not to follow the kid and was then attacked, when quite clearly it is what he was told to do!

English comprehension, do you have it?

English comprehension, do you have it?

I do indeed, thanks for asking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yea you're right, we can't trust a majority white jury because as we all know, white people are racist and incapable of looking at the evidence objectively.

If the jury had been majority black you would have no problem with the judgement I presume?

zimmerman was a piece of riff raff vermin who went looking for a confrontation and got it, he shot a kid and got lucky with a sympathetic jury, guns are legal over there along with self defence (which is a lot more lax then anywhere else) (no wonder the country is in such a state) he's now playing a wannabe celebrity except few celebrate him, he'l fade away to the irrelevance he is and will end up with nothing probably, really nobody gives a **** about him unlike the couple of die-hard supporters he has

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

zimmerman was a piece of riff raff vermin who went looking for a confrontation and got it, he shot a kid and got lucky with a sympathetic jury, guns are legal over there along with self defence (which is a lot more lax then anywhere else) (no wonder the country is in such a state) he's now playing a wannabe celebrity except few celebrate him, he'l fade away to the irrelevance he is and will end up with nothing probably, really nobody gives a **** about him unlike the couple of die-hard supporters he has

Yeah, not like things have been getting progressive less violent year on year since, oh, the Civil War. Oh wait.

The FACTS that have been established are that:

a) Two people got into a fight
    b) One of those is now dead
    c) There was a trial and the suspect was found not guilty by a jury of his peers

Everything else is BS, "GZ is vermin, he's a wannabe cop" etc etc is just the gibberish of fools and trolls and has no bearing on the case.

Everything else is BS, "GZ is vermin, he's a wannabe cop" etc etc is just the gibberish of fools and trolls and has no bearing on the case.
    wrong, its people having a different opinion to yours
    "GZ is vermin, he's a wannabe cop"
    thats what he is

Describing people as 'vermin' is not an opinion, it is hatespeech.

I do indeed, thanks for asking!
    So you understand that a cop telling someone that they dont need to do something is completely different to a cop ordering them not to do it.

good man

So you understand that a cop telling someone that they dont need to do something is completely different to a cop ordering them not to do it.

good man

Was the dispatcher even a cop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

good man

As far as I am aware dispatchers aren't even police,just civillians doing a job, so people placing extra responsibility in what their advice is may be misguided.

There was a murder of a Baltimore Bar lady (O Donnells) and one of the two 14 year old scrotes that murdered her was the son of a police dispatcher, it was pointed out that dispatchers were not sworn in the same as police officers.

thats what he is

I'm afraid you're the one that's wrong. Opinions, even those that are different to mine, are not facts and therefore have no bearing on the case.

crockholm wrote: »
    As far as I am aware dispatchers aren't even police,just civillians doing a job, so people placing extra responsibility in what their advice is may be misguided.

There was a murder of a Baltimore Bar lady (O Donnells) and one of the two 14 year old scrotes that murdered her was the son of a police dispatcher, it was pointed out that dispatchers were not sworn in the same as police officers.

Either way, it doesn't make a difference what the dispatcher told him. If the dispatcher told him to stick his head in a fire he doesn't have to do it. Since when is a 911 dispatcher an authority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/10/us/george-zimmerman-arrested/index.html

The scumbag has been arrested again for domestic violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hard to read this thread for all the smoke.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Not the first time he's been arrested for domestic violence either. He's a nasty scumbag even regardless of the Trayvon Martin thing

You can be sure of two things, if he was Black or a Muslim. He'd probably would never have been walking the streets again after what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

He should have beaten her with the butt of a gun instead. At least that way he'd have had unequivocal support from certain areas of the public.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

MadsL wrote: »
    Yeah, not like things have been getting progressive less violent year on year since, oh, the Civil War. Oh wait.

Violent crime has been dropping in the US for years.

(and please don't insult peoples' intelligence with some made-up reasoning like "See, that's all thanks to increased gun ownership")

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

A real gent and lady's man, is this piece of shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

biko wrote: »
    He also pulled a family from a car wreck. There's good and bad in everyone.

Not letting somebody die a horrible death doesn't make them a good person. Its actually kind of expected of a decent human being.
    Not saying what he did wasn't brave, but I know I would do it. And it doesn't excuse him of the murder of a teenage boy.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Not letting somebody die a horrible death doesn't make them a good person. Its actually kind of expected of a decent human being.
    Not saying what he did wasn't brave, but I know I would do it. And it doesn't excuse him of the murder of a teenage boy.

He didn't "murder" anyone. He was attacked and well within his rights to defend himself.

As for you "just knowing" you'd pull a family from a wreck.....please excuse me while I :pac: ! Sure ya would.

Just like the Micheal Brown case we have lunatics re-writing reality to suit their warped racial politics. Well sorry kids.....reality remains just that despite your delusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

He didn't "murder" anyone. He was attacked and well within his rights to defend himself.

As for you "just knowing" you'd pull a family from a wreck.....please excuse me while I :pac: ! Sure ya would.

Just like the Micheal Brown case we have lunatics re-writing reality to suit their warped racial politics. Well sorry kids.....reality remains just that despite your delusions.

Defend himself from what?
    Zimmerman should have listened to the 911 operator instead of picking a fight with a teenage boy walking home

Defend himself from what?
    Zimmerman should have listened to the 911 operator instead of picking a fight with a teenage boy walking home

From an attack by Trayvon Martin as we all know. Hence the "not guilty" verdict ;)

And you are a perfect example of what I spoke about re: the Mike Brown/Darren Wilson case. No matter how many times the facts were presented you insisted on adhering to a version of events that equates to sheer fantasy.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Violent crime has been dropping in the US for years.

If you would like to read my post again I am saying exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

From an attack by Trayvon Martin as we all know. Hence the "not guilty" verdict ;)

And you are a perfect example of what I spoke about re: the Mike Brown/Darren Wilson case. No matter how many times the facts were presented you insisted on adhering to a version of events that equates to sheer fantasy.
    *sigh* the trayvon case has nothing to do with mike brown/Darren Wilson case.
    The facts are 911 told Zimmerman to leave trayvon alone, Zimmerman ignored the authorities and followed Martin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement