Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Loan/Shares

Options
  • 09-09-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, I'm hopping to withdraw shares from my savings but unsure if I can I know my shares are secured against my loan.

For example if I had 300 loan and had 500 in shares can I take the 200 out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I'm hopping to withdraw shares from my savings but unsure if I can I know my shares are secured against my loan.

For example if I had 300 loan and had 500 in shares can I take the 200 out?

Yes, usually you can take the amount out as far as the balance of the loan, but each CU will have a slightly different rules, so a quick call would clear it up

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Similar question. If I have around 6.5 K in shares in CU and owe around 6 K in loan, how much of a top up on the loan could I reasonably expect to be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Similar question. If I have around 6.5 K in shares in CU and owe around 6 K in loan, how much of a top up on the loan could I reasonably expect to be allowed?

depends on how much your actually repaying on the other loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

im actually in 2 credit unions, and their methods in dealing with loans actually varied..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sedric

All Credit Unions are independent entities, many are affiliated to the Irish League of Credit Unions , this is a league not a head office. Credit unions are owned by their members so you have a share in two.

Their procedures for dealing with loans also vary because they themselves have different policies usually
    depending on the status of the credit union, e.g. some may wish to (prudently) increase their loans.
    The lending policy is available on request, it is usually a leaflet in the lobby.

The aim of all credit unions is to serve it's members by among other things lending to them at attractive rates.
    They generally are very equitable in the way they treat members i.e. a member with a good record finds it easier to get a loan.
    Credit Unions publish annual reports and are very open about their services.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement