Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another UP question

• 09-09-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

You're probably all bored of hearing these questions but if anyone can help, it would be great.

I recently switched to UPC after years with Smart, thinking I was going to get faster BB. I went with the 50mb package.

When I do a speed test (yes I know they're mostly bogus) I get back information saying that I can reach about 30 to 40+ mb down and about 4 to 5mb up.

But when I actually go to download a file, I can't even get a steady 1mb. Not only that, the download fluctuates wildly. I'm looking at a download now, struggling at between 128kb to 240kb, which is ridiculous. The site I am downloading from is capable of much more than that. I've tried it on other machines. I'm looking at around 15 minutes to download 157mb of data.

With my Smart connection, over the phone all I could get was a steady 250kbps, around 2mb on speedtest. But it was rock solid.

The UPC connection seems to be all over the place and I getting better speeds through my ancient copper phone wiring.

I've tried moving the modem, switching off the phone and even just having the BB co-ax in by itself, but all to no avail.

Starting to feel like I've been duped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC users tend to get all the speed on their package.

You're getting 30-40 most likely due to wireless. Try testing with an ethernet cable.

Two, chances are your download is 1MBps, aka 9Mbs. Not great, but dont trust the site isnt throttling individual downloads to balance load.

Best bet is to try pull a linux ISO from HEANet. That'll give you a real world example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yes, 30-40 over wireless. That's not my issue. 30mbps is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I do get around 50mbps over a cable, but that means running ethernet up the stairs. :(

It's when I actually go to download a file, that's the problem.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/debian-cd/7.0.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.0.0-amd64-kde-desktop.iso

Download that and see what happens.

HEAnet run multible 10GB(10,000Mbps) links in an irish data centre. If you're connection is working that'll show it.

EDIT: It fluctuates a bit so give it am minute. 32mb UPC currently pulling at up to 3.2MBs, which is correct.

In work at the mo Ed. But I'll try when I get home. Cheers for the help!

Ok, so I just tried that Linux file and it started off at a blistering 2.1mb a sec, but then quickly plummeted downwards to about 300+k a sec. Then up again to over 1mg. Then down again.

The connection seems to be extremely erratic. Even if it was fixed at around 1mg or the high hundred k's I'd be fine. But it's going up and down like a pros knickers.

I wonder if there's maintenance being carried or something. That might explain the wild ride my UPC line seems the have.

• Advertisement

If you have an EPC3925, its probably that.

Um...I'll have to check. All I know is that it's long, flatish and black.

Is the model you mentioned rubbish?

Advertisement