Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetable help

• 09-09-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

I am transferring into 2nd year bachelor of business. I was in the college today because I had to go to first year induction even though nothing was relevant to my course. I got my student card and got my timetable printed out but I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to read it.
    Just wondering if anyone knows how many hours I'm supposed to do for each class? Is it usually 3 lectures and just 1 tutorial per week? How does Business Information Systems get broken down because according to the timetable there's 1 lecture and like 7 practical classes. And how many electives do I have to choose per semester? :eek:
    Thanks in advance if anyone can help me figure this out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can help you out. Obviously you'll only know the subjects you're doing and the electives you picked. For BIS it's two lectures and a practical class IIRC. You'll be able to choose what time you're doing each elective and to make sure they don't clash with other subjects. It's usually 3 lectures and one tutorial/practical a week.

Last year it was two electives so you could pick Business Management and Selling Techniques like me last year for example. Then for the semester after Xmas you'll pick another two electives like MSA and Corp Law. If you pick a language you only have to pick one other elective for each semester. Language is 4 times a week and you also have to keep going with it next year.

Basically don't worry about the scary timetable because once you choose what times you'll have your particular electives you'll know your break times and etc.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask more questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I think I understand it a bit better now. I really hope they let me do Spanish. If they don't, I'm not sure which other elective I'd choose.

Is Business Communications actually a class I have to do? It wasn't listed in the modules for year two on their website so I'm a bit confused as to why it's on the timetable. Same goes for Computerised Accounting and Payroll. I guess they can do what they want, I just wasn't expecting either to be there.

Communications is mandatory but Payroll was an elective last year so I don't think you'll have to do it unless you want. You should be able to pick Spanish but make sure to talk to the head of the Business department. Deirdre Lusby I think and you'll find her contact info on the website. Just be sure to remember that 2nd yr Spanish will have a lot more to it than if you were in 1st year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

Thanks, I emailed Deirdre Lusby there. I love Spanish already. I did 30 hours of beginners Spanish in GTI and I did an online Spanish course over the summer and I did three weeks of work experience in an office in Ceuta in Spain so I think I have a fairly good grasp of the language so far.. I really hope they let me take it up. If not, I suppose I can always go back to trusty old French.

You've made the timetable a lot clearer for me now. I really appreciate it. Thanks a million!

No reason you wouldn't be able to take Spanish especially if you have a good background of the language already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement