Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobby king nano-tech lipo

• 09-09-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, a while ago I came across the lipo batteries on hobby king, never really noticed how cheap they were:eek: they seem pretty similar to the asg branded lipos here in Ireland but way cheaper. Are these lipos any good? Is hobby king a good place to buy these lipos, any trouble with ordering?
    Thanks
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17276__Turnigy_nano_tech_1200mah_3S_15_25C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html
    Thats the link of the one I was thinking of getting but I'm not too sure if it would fit. If anyone has any of these nano techs from hobby king could post link also.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi lads, a while ago I came across the lipo batteries on hobby king, never really noticed how cheap they were:eek: they seem pretty similar to the asg branded lipos here in Ireland but way cheaper. Are these lipos any good? Is hobby king a good place to buy these lipos, any trouble with ordering?
    Thanks
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17276__Turnigy_nano_tech_1200mah_3S_15_25C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html
    Thats the link of the one I was thinking of getting but I'm not too sure if it would fit. If anyone has any of these nano techs from hobby king could post link also.
    Thanks

Hi mate,

I've used Hobbyking dozens of times for my other hobby, ie radio controlled planes. I always buy the nanotechnology batteries as they are superior in performance to ordinary lipos. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to you. The only thing to watch for is Irish customs who randomly stop packages from Hong Kong. If yours is stopped, you'll have to prove how much you paid for them and you might incur Vat and excise charges. The way to get round this is to order just one or two batteries and keep the cost below €23 euro where no extra taxes apply. Alternatively, Hobbyking have a UK store and so as its in the EU, you can order as much as you want without fear of Irish Customs. The downside is that their prices are a bit higher in the UK store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Kashkai wrote: »
    Hi mate,

I've used Hobbyking dozens of times for my other hobby, ie radio controlled planes. I always buy the nanotechnology batteries as they are superior in performance to ordinary lipos. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to you. The only thing to watch for is Irish customs who randomly stop packages from Hong Kong. If yours is stopped, you'll have to prove how much you paid for them and you might incur Vat and excise charges. The way to get round this is to order just one or two batteries and keep the cost below €23 euro where no extra taxes apply. Alternatively, Hobbyking have a UK store and so as its in the EU, you can order as much as you want without fear of Irish Customs. The downside is that their prices are a bit higher in the UK store.

Cheers mate, when you say to keep it below €23 is that just for the batteries or would that be the final price ie. postage, tax etc.
    Also how long does it take to arrive from hong kong?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Cheers mate, when you say to keep it below €23 is that just for the batteries or would that be the final price ie. postage, tax etc.
    Also how long does it take to arrive from hong kong?
    Thanks

Hiya

It's the total cost, incl postage. However, Hobbyking have this "facility" to let a customer choose what amount is declared on the parcel, ie. 10% up to 100% of the actual cost. Up to you how you want to play it. If the parcel is stopped by Customs, they may ask for the receipt from Hobbyking that you get over the Internet when you order. If they are being especially suspicious, they might then ask for your PayPal receipt which would show the actual total price paid. If you're caught lying, they might at best, seize the package, at worst, prosecute you. Of the 40 orders I made from Hobbyking, only one was stopped by Customs and I had to pay VAT on it. It's a lottery really.

As for delivery, you'd be looking at 2 - 4 weeks I'm afraid from Hong Kong if you go with the cheaper ordinary airmail delivery. There is a faster express delivery but you pay for it. Check out the Hobbyking UK and German warehouses where you wouldn't have to worry about Customs as goods bought in the EU are not stopped by them. The downside is that the prices are higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Kashkai wrote: »
    Hiya

It's the total cost, incl postage. However, Hobbyking have this "facility" to let a customer choose what amount is declared on the parcel, ie. 10% up to 100% of the actual cost. Up to you how you want to play it. If the parcel is stopped by Customs, they may ask for the receipt from Hobbyking that you get over the Internet when you order. If they are being especially suspicious, they might then ask for your PayPal receipt which would show the actual total price paid. If you're caught lying, they might at best, seize the package, at worst, prosecute you. Of the 40 orders I made from Hobbyking, only one was stopped by Customs and I had to pay VAT on it. It's a lottery really.

As for delivery, you'd be looking at 2 - 4 weeks I'm afraid from Hong Kong if you go with the cheaper ordinary airmail delivery. There is a faster express delivery but you pay for it. Check out the Hobbyking UK and German warehouses where you wouldn't have to worry about Customs as goods bought in the EU are not stopped by them. The downside is that the prices are higher.

Thanks for all the info mate, really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Sorry to raise an old thread but just to make folks aware that hong kong post are now restricting lipo batteries from air post. This is causing a backlog for hobbyking and a lot of other suppliers. It is much closer to being sorted now but it may be best to get your lipo locally or from an eu supplier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭matty1994

ShRT wrote: »
    Sorry to raise an old thread but just to make folks aware that hong kong post are now restricting lipo batteries from air post. This is causing a backlog for hobbyking and a lot of other suppliers. It is much closer to being sorted now but it may be best to get your lipo locally or from an eu supplier

Hobby king have european and uk warehouses which you can order from

matty1994 wrote: »

Yup I should have mentioned that. Got a battery from their euro warehouse last week actually. Took about a week to arrive after ordering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭matty1994

ShRT wrote: »
    Yup I should have mentioned that. Got a battery from their euro warehouse last week actually. Took about a week to arrive after ordering

Ah i see, that was quick enough i suppose, i made an order there on thursday, so hoping it will be here this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

matty1994 wrote: »

Can you get stuff from the UK Warehouse? I tried ordering a IMax, XT60 connectors and some other bits, but it was only for UK customers.

Either European or International warehouse, so I just went international.

You should be able to get stuff from the uk warehouse. I've always gone for eu or international as the shipping is more reasonable but I went all the way through the ordering process up to payment for the uk warehouse

• Advertisement
Advertisement