Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heads Up for Tax on STOLEN motorcycle

• 09-09-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Just to give people a heads up

I recieved this today (See attachments)

The bike it refers to is/was mine
    however it was STOLEN.

I made a report to the Garda at the time
    and the insurance company although I didn't claim as I had TPO.

I'm lucky, I haven't moved but if you've moved
    etc and one of these notices is fired out by
    a poorly programme system you could very easily end
    up in court if automatic fines follow.

I'll be off down to the Garda, Motor Tax Office and Department
    of Transport to inform them of their mistake but people
    need to know that this is happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I guess this is a symptom of a system that's not designed around people but around generating revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I guess this is a symptom of a system that's not designed around people but around generating revenue.

There's nothing wrong with the system. Unless the bike is sold or scrapped it's still registered to the last person on the VLC. They are warning you that unless you tell them that your vehicle is off the road you'll be liable for back tax. To me it sounds like they are trying to help save money for people. Since the OP doesn't have the bike they can't be liable for back tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the system. Unless the bike is sold or scrapped it's still registered to the last person on the VLC. They are warning you that unless you tell them that your vehicle is off the road you'll be liable for back tax. To me it sounds like they are trying to help save money for people. Since the OP doesn't have the bike they can't be liable for back tax.

You must be kidding.

Whatever they're warning you about, they are not trying to 'help' OP.

The only people they're helping is themselves. Just like the property tax they are putting the frighteners on people to submit details of all the vehicles out there 'off the road' so they can build up a database upon which to levy more charges - you just wait and see.

I declared 3 today, and the Garda at the station said they're inundated with it - and expect a rush for end-of-month as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You must be kidding.

Whatever they're warning you about, they are not trying to 'help' OP.

The only people they're helping is themselves. Just like the property tax they are putting the frighteners on people to submit details of all the vehicles out there 'off the road' so they can build up a database upon which to levy more charges - you just wait and see.

I declared 3 today, and the Garda at the station said they're inundated with it - and expect a rush for end-of-month as well.

It's a fairer system than the current one where people happily avoided paying road tax by making a false declaration of none use. If people weren't abusing the old system so much they wouldn't have had to change. It's rather simple now your vehicle needs to be taxed or declared off the road, the old way was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I got three of these today , one of them was for a bike I never owned.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Del2005 wrote: »

The bike was stolen 10 years ago
    and logically I should be listed as the last owner.

Now the bike is gone for good and probably a washing machine
    by now which means I'm never getting it back to put it on the
    road again.

For other people who have something stolen
    and the tax expires during that time
    if it's ever recovered by the implication of the letter
    and FAQ on Motortax.ie they'll
    be in a mess.

Technically if you decalre the bike/vehicle is off the road when
    it's not in your posession your making a false declaration so it's
    not an option for you if your hoping it'll be recovered.

The database must be able to record a vehicle as stolen
    and the new tax system should (must) account for this
    but it dosen't appear to in my case and if it's happened to me
    it'll be happening to other people.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    The bike was stolen 10 years ago
    and logically I should be listed as the last owner.

Now the bike is gone for good and probably a washing machine
    by now which means I'm never getting it back to put it on the
    road again.

For other people who have something stolen
    and the tax expires during that time
    if it's ever recovered by the implication of the letter
    and FAQ on Motortax.ie they'll
    be in a mess.

Technically if you decalre the bike/vehicle is off the road when
    it's not in your posession your making a false declaration so it's
    not an option for you if your hoping it'll be recovered.

The database must be able to record a vehicle as stolen
    and the new tax system should (must) account for this
    but it dosen't appear to in my case and if it's happened to me
    it'll be happening to other people.

What was the response to you telling them the bike was stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

271458.jpg

Advertisement