Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New imersion switch

Options
  • 09-09-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Couple of questions

From what I can work out the imersion is tripping out the RCD on the fuse board. Thought it might be the imersion switch so went and bought a new one but the new one seems to have more connections.

Old unit has:
    Live/ Nuetral in-Neutral out-Live goes into Bath and the black cable goes into sink- both earth in & out join together.

New unit has:
    Live/ Nuetral in- Live/Nuetral out-Bath & sink- earth connections- and then a slot in the bottom left corner (marked in red) with no markings.

IF its not the imersion can I get a meter and bell out the stat/ element, if so what am i looking for

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

if it trips the rcd when you switch it on

then usually the immersion needs to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Noooooo. Was hoping for something simple. Have a meter in the van, can anyone confirm how to bell out before I organise getting the tank drained and new element fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If the RCD doesn't trip after removing the wires supplying the element, then the element needs replacing.

Never seen a switch trip the RCD, usually a bad switch just either stays on or off or won't switch between bath/sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Regarding the new switch(if you are going to change it) the terminal marked with the arrow is the common terminal for the sink and bath ,you will have to take a short piece of brown wire from live out to the common.
    some switches have this link internally yours dosn't

Thanks lads, changed out the element and am back in the game. Maxfresh, thanks. Ended up putting the old switch back on. Any idea why the new switches are done this way, ie what elements need these extra connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Its not an extra connection there is just a link inside the old switch (from live in to either sink or bath depending on what way that switch is) that you have put in the new switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cubix wrote: »
    Any idea why the new switches are done this way, ie what elements need these extra connections

Link from L out to the red arrow terminal, and thats the new switch sorted with regards to the extra terminal. As said, the old switch just has that done internally during manufacture.

Thanks, the curious in me is wondering in what situation would you not need to use the link from the live to the common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

None, if using the switch for a dual immersion.

Advertisement