Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem accessing my original log in details

Options
  • 09-09-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I would really appreciate any advice on the following, as am not that IT savvy.

My Outlook Express account shut down after I had deleted a large number of spam emails from my gaelic.ie account. In order to set it up again, I had to contact them for my account details as it had been some years since opening my account and I just couldn't find them.

The gaelic.ie/imagine Customer Support guy advised that I run Spybot scan,then do a screen shot of the results and mail them to them, as he was not authorized to supply me with my log in details unless the computer was proven to be clean of all threats.

Unfortunately, having completed the scan, I could not do the screen shot, as the page with the results on it did not appear to have the instructions for this procedure, as I was given to believe they would.

I would set up a new account, except for the fact that I need the contacts and a couple of important mails from the old account.

I am totally confused, as to why they cannot provide my details without having to do a screen shot and am at a loss as to how to do it and send it by mail to them. If I use the phone again to avail of instructions, it will cost even more than the two calls I had to make today.

I imagine that once you have opened a new account, that Outlook Express cannot retrieve emails or contacts from the old account without those all important previous account details.

Please excuse the ignorance here and accept my thanks in advance for any help you can offer this aging non technical very lost soul right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

OK so I will try my best to help. Obviously I don’t know what your level of skills is so I will try to explain everything as easy as possible.

Firstly for the screen shot you should see a button on your keyboard (normally around delete, insert, etc.) called "Print Screen". When you have what you want to on screen press it and then paste it into Paint or any other programme you have. Once this is done you can save it and attach it to an email.

It is normal that since you lost your details they would look for some form of verification that you are who you say you are and are the owner of the account.

I think it is a bit strange that you have to run Spybot in the first place. It is always good to run anti-spyware and adware on your computer but I have never heard of telecom provider requesting it. It’s your machine to update as you wish. Just because you don’t have any malware today doesn’t mean you won’t tomorrow. Nevertheless it is obviously some procedure they have, I wouldn’t get in an argument with them over it.

Finally to send them the screen shots if this is you’re only email account then you’re really only have 3 options:
    1) Check their website to see if they have a fax. If they do print it and send it to them with any reference / account numbers you have.
    2) Send it via a friends or family members email. Again include any references / account numbers. Also be sure to say that this is not your email account and your want them to phone you with the correct details.
    3) Create a new email account for yourself and do the same as above. There are loads of free options out there.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

havetoquit wrote: »
    My Outlook Express account shut down after I had deleted a large number of spam emails from my gaelic.ie account.

:confused:

Download and run MailPassView, with a little luck it will retrieve the details you need (user name, password, incoming and outgoing mail servers, ports, etc)
    havetoquit wrote: »
    he was not authorized to supply me with my log in details unless the computer was proven to be clean of all threats.

What a load of sh*t... Spybot SD is designed to scan only for a very specific set of malicious software. You system could be infected with all sorts of viruses, trojans, rootkits which Spybot would never detect.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi,

Apart from technical issues, you should also consider the status of your DBX file. In case, it seems with some kind of spotted areas then try to use a DBX repair tool. To know better assistance, check detailed information at:

http://www.techsenser.com/2013/01/quickly-opt-for-dbx-recovery-software.html

Regards:
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Many thanks to all who have responded with helpful suggestions.

Everything is fine now and just very grateful.

This is one of, if not the best forum I have ever used, for the most friendly and helpful members ever!

Advertisement