Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD or PS3 failing

Options
  • 09-09-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭

recently enough i installed a 1TB HDD into a super slim PS3
    after switching it on at the plug, after it being off for a week/2 weeks it froze just after starting up.
    So i switched it off & when i restarted it, a message said the file system was corrupt, after trying to restore it, it failed at around 47% just leaving a black screen, no message or nothing.
    i had to restore the ps3 system in safe mode to get it to work again (after trying other options)

this seem to work but it froze again in the middle of downloading a game & i restored the file system in safe mode

then when it was on again some of the games were just showing up with a black picture in their menu on the xmb & it froze again
    saying when turned on the file system storage is corrupt and will be restored

i haven't bothered restoring it this time & it'll inevitably fail again
    which is the most likely cause of this?
    i've no caddy to check the HDD with on a pc is there any other way of checking it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Try the old hard drive ?

What speed is the 1TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭batistuta9

there was no hard drive in it to begin with it's the 12GB one, so i can't try that.
    speed = 5400

i think i'll go and get a replacement for the hard drive first, as it'll probably be easier and see then
    but i wanted to see if anyone experienced anything like that with a ps3 itself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

batistuta9 wrote: »
    there was no hard drive in it to begin with it's the 12GB one, so i can't try that.
    speed = 5400

i think i'll go and get a replacement for the hard drive first, as it'll probably be easier and see then
    but i wanted to see if anyone experienced anything like that with a ps3 itself

try advets for a cheap second hand hdd....you should pick up a 250gb for 20 or 25 quid.....

try advets for a cheap second hand hdd....you should pick up a 250gb for 20 or 25 quid.....

i can get the hdd replaced for free anyway so no need for that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

batistuta9 wrote: »
    recently enough i installed a 1TB HDD into a super slim PS3
    after switching it on at the plug, after it being off for a week/2 weeks it froze just after starting up.
    So i switched it off & when i restarted it, a message said the file system was corrupt, after trying to restore it, it failed at around 47% just leaving a black screen, no message or nothing.
    i had to restore the ps3 system in safe mode to get it to work again (after trying other options)

this seem to work but it froze again in the middle of downloading a game & i restored the file system in safe mode

then when it was on again some of the games were just showing up with a black picture in their menu on the xmb & it froze again
    saying when turned on the file system storage is corrupt and will be restored

i haven't bothered restoring it this time & it'll inevitably fail again
    which is the most likely cause of this?
    i've no caddy to check the HDD with on a pc is there any other way of checking it
    you need to back up old drive to the new one so it has the operating system on the new drive, try to get an old one in adverts

• Advertisement

Faz6r wrote: »
    you need to back up old drive to the new one so it has the operating system on the new drive, try to get an old one in adverts

i was going to change the storage back to internal (12Gb) then switch it again when i get the new drive

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Seperate question but here goes. Can i use an 8gb memory stick as somewhere for my game saves while Im waiting to get a bigger harddrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

matt360 wrote: »
    Seperate question but here goes. Can i use an 8gb memory stick as somewhere for my game saves while Im waiting to get a bigger harddrive?

Yep, although i think you need to save it to the HDD, then unto a USB first as it won't save straight to a USB.

Advertisement