Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlons

Options
  • 09-09-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

In triathlons,can I take part but only cycle and run but not do the swim??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Generally not.

You have a few options
    -do a duathlon
    -enter as a team with one member doing the swim and you do the the bike/run
    -enter an exposed early season tri and hope the swim is cancelled
    -get your swimming better over the next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dec88 wrote: »
    In triathlons,can I take part but only cycle and run but not do the swim??

Learning to swim take four months of effort. I went from not being able to swim widths of Terenure pool to a pool sprint in 4 months and then did Kilkee 2 months later.

Swimming (as in completing) isn't hard to learn, swimming fast on the other hand.

Its September, you have time.

(And before someone says "a club will help you learn" it won't. It will help you improve but not learn)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Learning to swim take four months of effort. I went from not being able to swim widths of Terenure pool to a pool sprint in 4 months and then did Kilkee 2 months later.

Swimming (as in completing) isn't hard to learn, swimming fast on the other hand.

Its September, you have time.

(And before someone says "a club will help you learn" it won't. It will help you improve but not learn)

WRONG, not every club is the same. Trilogy helped me learn with one to one specific lessons with a coach. I couldn't swim in Feb 2011 but with lessons from the club coach i finished the swim in April 2011.

WRONG, not every club is the same. Trilogy helped me learn with one to one specific lessons with a coach. I couldn't swim in Feb 2011 but with lessons from the club coach i finished the swim in April 2011.

Biting my tongue very hard here.

Okay OP off you go to Trilogy. Elvis knows best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What is your cruising pace per 100m now two and a half years on?

• Advertisement

Biting my tongue very hard here.

Okay OP off you go to Trilogy. Elvis knows best.

Bite whatever you want, just admit you were wrong............it happens. To make such a sweeping statement as NO club with help you learn to swim infers that you have gone to and asked each club in the country. Have you ?

mloc123 wrote: »
    What is your cruising pace per 100m now two and a half years on?

No idea but my 750m time has gone from 32 min to 19 min and its dropping as i work more on my stroke and get fitter.

Also the last twelve months have been focused on building distance and not speed.

No idea but my 750m time has gone from 32 min to 19 min and its dropping as i work more on my stroke and get fitter.

Breast stroke? That is a decent gain.

Breast stroke? That is a decent gain.

No front crawl. I know its slow but as i said i focused only on distance in the last 12 months.

Anyway we still await Tunney admitting me was wrong.........remember the date.

No front crawl. I know its slow but as i said i focused only on distance in the last 12 months.

Why focus on distance before you can swim tho?

No offence but at 2:30/100m in a pool based sprint is beginner level, not somebody that has trained with a club for two and a half years... perhaps Tunney isn't that wrong?

• Advertisement

I haven't at all.

You are holding yourself up as an example of having been thought to swim............

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I feel sorry for the op, this is going a little ot....

A club swim set will give you discipline and competition, but generally, the coaches taking a group do not have time to correct poor technique. In my case club swims got my stamina up, but the only real gains have come when I got very good technique correction elsewhere. And I could do with lots more, to be honest. So if your limiter is technique a club may not be able to facilitate you fully, but you will certainly learn to work hard. Elvis, you admit it was one to one sessions that got you motoring.

As for the op, can you swim at all?

Anyways I stand by my advice to the OP.

Swim short distances frequently. Better to swim 200m with good form than 1000m with bad form. You're learning the technique not building fitness.

Once vaguely comfortable in the water look for a few one on one lessons with a quality coach. As much as it pains me to say it someone like Mr Kerns.

Get comfortable with the basics. Get swimming for a while then join a masters swimmer club, or a tri club.

Above all enjoy, swimming takes a while to enjoy but once you start to enjoy it it is very very relaxing and a great way to help the legs recover from running and biking I find.

Why focus on distance before you can swim tho?

No offence but at 2:30/100m in a pool based sprint is beginner level, not somebody that has trained with a club for two and a half years... perhaps Tunney isn't that wrong?

Simple because my main event in 2013 was about distance and not time. I wasn't focued on a main stream triathlon, it was a specific event. I was looking to swim 7.6k and not 750m, whats your 7.6k swim time ?

Did i say i had trained with my club for 2.5 yrs ?

Tunney was wrong, he said club WILL NOT HELP YOU LEARN.....they helped me, therefore he is wrong.

I know in recent times that you've all but climbed up Tunney's back passage ( its been said to me by a few members here ) but just read what Tunney wrote, read my reply and show where he isn't wrong. My 4 yr old could see it.

Oryx wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the op, this is going a little ot....

A club swim set will give you discipline and competition, but generally, the coaches taking a group do not have time to correct poor technique. In my case club swims got my stamina up, but the only real gains have come when I got very good technique correction elsewhere. And I could do with lots more, to be honest. So if your limiter is technique a club may not be able to facilitate you fully, but you will certainly learn to work hard. Elvis, you admit it was one to one sessions that got you motoring.

As for the op, can you swim at all?

100% without them i hadn't a chance of doing the event that year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know in recent times that you've all but climbed up Tunney's back passage ( its been said to me by a few members here )
    Seriously, elvis?

I haven't at all.

You are holding yourself up as an example of having been thought to swim............

No i'm staying my club help to to learn how to swim, you said club don't do that.........you are wrong. I know its hard for you to admit it but its there for all to see.

Oryx wrote: »
    Seriously, elvis?

Yep 3 members have said it to me in person.

Simple because my main event in 2013 was about distance and not time. I wasn't focued on a main stream triathlon, it was a specific event. I was looking to swim 7.6k and not 750m, whats your 7.6k swim time ?

Faster than 3.30/100m I would guess anyway.

Faster than 3.30/100m I would guess anyway.

Guess, have you not done it ?

• Advertisement

Guess, have you not done it ?

No. I would rather focus on getting fast and fit than staying fat and slow forever, but that is just me :)

No. I would rather focus on getting fast and fit than staying fat and slow forever, but that is just me :)

I have next season for speed, this season was all about distance and raising funds for charity. When you've swam that ditstance you can comment on the training required to do it.

But remember you carry all that extra weight with your head being firmly inserted in tunneys backside.......and we know poor tunney is having problems with his weight as well.

Good luck in 2014.

MOD: Thread closed because you're ALL acting like children. I have better things to do with my day than baby sit. BTH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement