Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom master phone socket replacement

• 09-09-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for the Eircom telephone master socket?

The socket that the main line into the house connects to?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Is there something wrong with it, if so eircom will replace it for you free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's through Smart telecom. I was told it would cost 80 quid to get a technician out.

Sod that.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's through Smart telecom. I was told it would cost 80 quid to get a technician out.

Sod that.

Well if the socket is faulty You are entitled to get it replaced free of charge. The charge is imitated by the technician who does the job and if its your main socket you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i'm with vodafone and got the master socket (NTU) replaced for free because it was faulty a while back. If it wasnt there would have been a service charge alright but the thing was well and truly knackered. I tempoarily replaced it with a standard extesion wall socket so i could get my broadband working again until i got an eircom engineer out to fix it via Vodafone technical support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its faulty due to age etc they'll fix it free, if its faulty cause you gave it a whack they could hit you with the call out fee.

To get an NTU upgrade(to a filtered DSL NTU) is like 80/90€ so thats may be what they're offering.

• Advertisement

The fault, was that there was a slight signal for a couple of days and then no signal at all on either phone or net through the NJ11 cable. Tried different cables and no luck. I'm pretty sure it's the master socket. If I moved the NJ11 connector in the slot, I could get a weak dial tone. But after a while I couldn't get anything.

It's just odd that I can't buy one anywhere. Not even Maplin's have anything.

Anyway, I rang Eircom, they said I have to ring Smart (who had told me previously to ring Eircom).

Anyway, I rang Eircom, they said I have to ring Smart (who had told me previously to ring Eircom).

You have to report it to Smart who pass it on to Eircom.
    BTW you can get phone sockets to buy in electrical shops. They wouldn't be the same aas the Eircom one but would do the job until you get it replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Smart are fobing you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Approach one of the lads in the vans, wave a tenner at them and I'd be very surprised if you didn't walk away with a master socket.

pbarr wrote: »
    You have to report it to Smart who pass it on to Eircom.
    BTW you can get phone sockets to buy in electrical shops. They wouldn't be the same aas the Eircom one but would do the job until you get it replaced.

Couldn't find one anywhere, but I chanced my arm in a local electrical shop today and picked up a small socket. Unfortunately, it didn't work though. :confused:

Anyway, called Smart and they said they'll "see what they can do".

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Smart are fobing you off.

Aye, perhaps.

Gosub wrote: »
    Approach one of the lads in the vans, wave a tenner at them and I'd be very surprised if you didn't walk away with a master socket.

I've been thinking about that myself :pac:

Been on the lookout for Eircom vans. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I've been thinking about that myself :pac:

Been on the lookout for Eircom vans. :cool:
    The local telephone exchange is usually a good place to start. :)

Advertisement